10.2.5 performance issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
After updating to 10.2.5 I am experiencing some severe performance issues.

I am using OS X on a PowerMac G4 500 with an ATI 8500 installed. After updating to 10.2.5 my DVD Player refused to run. It says: "DVD Player encountered a serious error. The current machine or system configuration is not supported. [-70013]".

My screensavers are now damn slow, for instance Flurry runs now in Preview mode (in the System Preferences) slower than it used to be in full screen mode under 10.2.4. In full screen I achieve only estimated 2 frames per second. iTunes visualisation is also slower, but not as slow as the screen saver. It performs about 13 to 14 frames per second. Before the update I used to get 18 frames per second.

I also get bad performance when watching MP4 or AVIs with Quicktime or VLC, especially when turned to full screen. Two or three frames per second is what I am getting.

When trying to run the game "Medal of Honor" which uses a lot of 3D stuff, it doesn't work either. When starting I get the message:

"agIChoosePixelFormat failed" and in a second error message it says "Couldn't start OpenGL".

Now over to the funny part: When logging in as root on the same machine, everything works as it should. Screensavers are fast, MP4s and AVIs are fast and DVD Player works. Does this make sense to anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Maybe you can try to repair the permissions, and in second place, the file system. Do you know how?

- permissions: open Disk Utility (in Applications>Utilities) and choose 'Repair Permissions'

- file system: you'll have to boot of a cd-rom of OS X. When it takes you to the installer window, go to the 'Installer' menu, choose 'Disk Utility', then choose 'Repair Disk'.

If you're not afraid to work without GUI, you can start up while holding apple+s, then you'll be taken to a prompt, where you will be asked to type fsck -y if you want to repair your disk (or fsck -yf if you have journaling enabled). Do it a couple of times if it says 'file system was modified' (the ideal is up to the point where it doesn't say that anymore).

I think this info could solve your problem. Ask away if anything is not clear.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Maybe you can try to repair the permissions, and in second place, the file system. Do you know how?

- permissions: open Disk Utility (in Applications>Utilities) and choose 'Repair Permissions'

- file system: you'll have to boot of a cd-rom of OS X. When it takes you to the installer window, go to the 'Installer' menu, choose 'Disk Utility', then choose 'Repair Disk'.

If you're not afraid to work without GUI, you can start up while holding apple+s, then you'll be taken to a prompt, where you will be asked to type fsck -y if you want to repair your disk (or fsck -yf if you have journaling enabled). Do it a couple of times if it says 'file system was modified' (the ideal is up to the point where it doesn't say that anymore).

I think this info could solve your problem. Ask away if anything is not clear.

You were right, I repaired the permissions and it worked fine. Thanks a lot!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I am very pleased to hear that.