Apple removes 'iDOS 2' from iOS App Store

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2021
Apple on Monday removed popular DOS emulator "iDOS 2" from the iOS App Store, citing guidelines against installing or running executable code that changes an app's features or functionality.

Developer Chaoji Li first warned customers of iDOS 2's imminent demise in late July, saying Apple would pull the title because it fails to observe App Store Review guideline 2.5.2.

Apple's rule states, "Apps should be self-contained in their bundles, and may not read or write data outside the designated container area, nor may they download, install, or execute code which introduces or changes features or functionality of the app, including other apps."

Li confirmed the removal of his app in a tweet on Monday.

A popular emulator, iDOS 2 simulated the DOS system on iOS to enable access to classic games and allow users to code, interact with applications and even run Windows 3.1. Updates to the app enabled PC keyboard, gamepad, and mouse connectivity via Bluetooth.

An update in September brought iTunes File Sharing compatibility, allowing users to import files and run custom games or programs. It was this utility that caught Apple's ire.

"Specifically, your app executes iDOS package and image files and allows iTunes File Sharing and Files support for importing games. Executing code can introduce or changes features or functionality of the app and allows for downloading of content without licensing," Apple said in a letter to Li.

In an ensuing blog post, Li said he would not remove the integration as it would be a "betrayal" to customers who purchased the app for that capability.

For his part, Li claims he was open about the app's functionality in each App Store submission, going so far as to include a note pointing out the use of Document Browser mode and the inclusion of iTunes File Sharing. Apple's reviewers let the app slide for more than a dozen updates before dropping the axe last month.

An initial version of iDOS was published to the App Store in 2010 before being yanked by Apple. Li's second attempt, iDOS 2, was available since 2014.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Really annoying! The whole point of a sandboxed emulator is that it’s secure. There’s no danger for system security from running legacy software. There’s a variety of old DOS apps, that I like to run, to open old files, etc. iDOS was ideal for such tasks. It’s restrictions like these that make the “Pro” in “iPad Pro” thoroughly laughable.
    chadbagelijahgnapoleon_phoneapartxyzzy01
  • Reply 2 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    This is dumb. I don't use this app personally but this is just dumb.  It won't do any good but I tweeted this story to Tim and Apple and mentioned my opinion of this.   I encourage others to do the same.  Especially if this impacts you personally.   
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamxyzzy01
  • Reply 3 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Anyone who buys a product because of its "future capabilities" is foolish. Especially when that product resides in someone else's walled garden. Li's argument about betrayal makes no sense. Li's customers didn't purchase "future features" they purchased "current capabilities."

How is iDOS2 any different from a third party app store? I'll bet Epic is rooting for iDOS2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Anyone who buys a product because of its "future capabilities" is foolish. Especially when that product resides in someone else's walled garden. Li's argument about betrayal makes no sense. Li's customers didn't purchase "future features" they purchased "current capabilities."

How is iDOS2 any different from a third party app store? I'll bet Epic is rooting for iDOS2.
    And those current capabilities are now non-existent because Apple has changed their interpretation of their own rules, again.
    muthuk_vanalingamRayz2016dantheman827
  • Reply 5 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Apple's monopoly must be crushed.
    elijahgdantheman827
  • Reply 6 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    darkvader said:
    You need to do a little research on "monopoly" (and I don't mean the bird game).  
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    elijahg said:

And those current capabilities are now non-existent because Apple has changed their interpretation of their own rules, again.
    In the article it says that Li refuses to restore the app to its approved state. So it's not Apple's fault that the current capabilities have disappeared. It's Li's fault. I cannot tell if you knew that or not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The "future capabilities" you're referring to have been in the app since last September.  They are very much "current capabilities".  The article says that Apple approved a dozen updates since the iTunes File Sharing feature was added.
    saarekelijahgdantheman827
  • Reply 9 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    It’s a great app, I use it all the time to play old games like Prince of Persia. 

Typical of Apple to do something like this.
    dantheman827elijahg
  • Reply 10 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    darkvader said:
    Your misunderstanding of words must be crushed. 
    kurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    express your thoughts to [email protected]
  • Reply 12 of 13

Because iDOS2 didn't let you buy anything at all, it only allowed use of content you already owned.
    elijahg
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Always remember: This is all about restricting what YOU can do with the computer devices YOU own. It is not about security. It is not about safety. It is about Apple's power over what users are allowed to do with the devices they sell. You should be angry. You should demand that Apple butt out of your business. Instead most of you will continue fawning over Apple never realizing how much more awesome your iOS devices could be if you had the power instead of Apple. Downloaded any good third party watch faces recently? No? Me neither. Now why is that?
    edited August 2021 darkvaderelijahg