'iPhone 13' adding ProRes video recording, doubling down on pro camera features

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2021
The "iPhone 13" cameras will offer a new video version of Portrait mode, as part of a number of changes to improve the imaging capabilities of the 2021 models.

The iPhone camera has always been a major selling point of the smartphone, with Apple leaning on it to market the range via its Shot on iPhone initiative. A Tuesday report claims that the camera's capabilities will be further enhanced in 2021, with new features arriving with the "iPhone 13" range.

The biggest enhancement to the camera will be a modified Portrait mode, according to Bloomberg, which will give users the chance to record video with the same bokeh, lighting, and background effects as the current still image version.

A new filter-like system will be introduced, to help users improve the colors and appearance of photographs they take. This includes making images warmer or cooler, and altering contrast for a more dramatic look.

Of note is that it will apparently use AI to apply the wanted changes to objects and subjects within a photograph, rather than across the entire image.

Meanwhile, the addition of ProRes video recording will allow for higher-quality footage to be captured from the iPhone. ProRes is a format used by professional filmmakers, which could lend the iPhone to movie and TV show productions even more than it already can.

ProRes consumes more storage capacity than standard video, but still manages to preserve image quality while shrinking the size compared to raw video. The algorithm design for the codec allows for fast encoding and decoding, which has helped Apple win an Engineering Emmy in 2020.

In 2020, for the iPhone 12 Pro, Apple introduced ProRAW, an image format that combined the benefits of shooting images in RAW format with computational photography features.

Apple is anticipated to introduce the "iPhone 13" range in the fall, as part of its annual refresh of the product line. Rumors have claimed various camera changes, including an increase in sensor resolution, bigger lenses, and the addition of autofocus on the Pro models.

There has also been some debate over whether Apple will stick to the existing 3-cameras and 2-cameras on the Pro and Standard models respectively, or will move to a 4-camera setup. Meanwhile, LiDAR is said to be staying only on the Pro models for another year.

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in June, the "iPhone 13 Pro" models will add a new ultra-wide camera lens with autofocus, a feature that will apparently spread to the non-Pro models released in 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Cool. Next: iPhone with 4TB storage would be nice.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I have no desire to buy a traditional camera anymore, even if it is optically superior to a small sensor phone. With so much processing power and improvements, and with so much ease of use to share content instantly, I only take my DSLR when I really need the larger sensor and the focal lengths a phone cannot provide.
    llamafirelockapplguy
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I have no desire to buy a traditional camera anymore, even if it is optically superior to a small sensor phone. With so much processing power and improvements, and with so much ease of use to share content instantly, I only take my DSLR when I really need the larger sensor and the focal lengths a phone cannot provide.
    The stock camera app and stock phtoos app are are frustratingly simplistic and don't do it for me.  No, I do not want to see a "curated" feed of my photos. If I could permanently set the camera app to shoot all photos one stop down, AND use a very fast, very specific focusing point AND if using a tripod with a phone wasnt such a kludge, I might be able to say the same. And video? don't even get me started. I just LOVE waiting for videos to "process" - and getting stuck at 25% every time - even when using the newest, fastest phone with a very brief video clip.... etc etc. Ugh Shall I go on? "Pro" for phones I guess. Not "Pro" for pros. 
  • Reply 4 of 17
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    There is a huge difference between a DSLR full-frame camera and a camera from a smartphone. The image quality from a FF camera is far better, detailed, and cleaner. However, the images from current iPhone cameras are extremely good that I no longer need digital "consumer" cameras. I used to have a few digital consumer cameras and now I don't. 

I still use FF DSLR for serious photography since it allows a lot more dynamic range and I have the flexibility to choose settings. Given its bigger sensor, it's able to collect more light and be able to get more signal out of noise which in turn makes the image look clean. That's something you just cannot do that with a camera with tiny sensors. 

• Reply 5 of 17
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    Ugh Shall I go on? "Pro" for phones I guess. Not "Pro" for pros. 
    Oh, really? You may want to mention that to Steven Soderbergh. Name ring a bell? Lemme help... Oscar-winning, Emmy-winning and Palme D'Or-winning director who also serves as the award-winning cinematographer on all his films under the pseudonym Peter Andrews. He has shot a few feature films entirely on iPhone because... "Soderbergh felt the advantages of the iPhone outweighed the image fidelity of an ARRI or RED cameras that cost a hundred times more." So yeah, definitely not for "pros" like you... only the tyro filmmakers like Soderbergh. 

Pro tip: if you want "pro" results, try ditching the stock camera and photo apps and train yourself on the iPhone apps used by... wait for it... pros. 
    llamaJinTechmacplusplusbyronlapplguy
  • Reply 6 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The stock camera app and stock phtoos app are are frustratingly simplistic and don't do it for me.  No, I do not want to see a "curated" feed of my photos. If I could permanently set the camera app to shoot all photos one stop down, AND use a very fast, very specific focusing point AND if using a tripod with a phone wasnt such a kludge, I might be able to say the same. And video? don't even get me started. I just LOVE waiting for videos to "process" - and getting stuck at 25% every time - even when using the newest, fastest phone with a very brief video clip.... etc etc. Ugh Shall I go on? "Pro" for phones I guess. Not "Pro" for pros. 
    There have been so many movies, Tv shows, commercials, print Ads and fine photography done with iPhones over the years that it’s almost too much to keep track of. Somehow, these talented and skilled professionals and amateurs don’t seem to have the problems you seem to have. Maybe that says more about you than the cameras and software.

nobody would argue that Apple’s built-in apps are the most sophisticated. Apple has stated many times over the years that that’s not their aim. Their aim is to make it possible for third parties to build upon what Apple has done by providing them whatever they need to do that, while Apple’s own apps are there to give excellent, easy to use basic features, and to enable new hardware abilities that show off the system, while allowing those third parties to expand upon the capabilities Apple provides.

so, using Apple’s devices and software, one can do pretty high quality work. But some features need third party apps to go beyond that. That’s nothing new. “Real” camera companies also provide software. It’s rarely in a league with that provided by third parties. Are you complaining about that?
    edited August 2021 fastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 17
    charlesn said:
    You may want to mention that to Steven Soderbergh. Name ring a bell? Lemme help... Oscar-winning, Emmy-winning and Palme D'Or-winning director who also serves as the award-winning cinematographer on all his films under the pseudonym Peter Andrews. He has shot a few feature films entirely on iPhone because... "Soderbergh felt the advantages of the iPhone outweighed the image fidelity of an ARRI or RED cameras that cost a hundred times more." So yeah, definitely not for "pros" like you... only the tyro filmmakers like Soderbergh. 
    To each their own. Christopher Nolan still shoots on IMAX film cameras. Others prefer micro four-thirds prosumer cameras. The iPhone works for a certain kind of "cinéma-vérité" style that Soderbergh likes, but no I know of no DP who would ever say that any current iPhone can fully substitute for a large sensor interchangeable-lens cinema camera. 

All the professional iPhone footage that I've seen is remarkable... given what it was produced on. It's another tool in the belt for a cinematographer. And a great option for productions that have severe budget constraints.
    firelock
  • Reply 8 of 17
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Wonder if the iPhone 13 will still have 12 megapixels. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    netrox said:
    There is a huge difference between a DSLR full-frame camera and a camera from a smartphone. The image quality from a FF camera is far better, detailed, and cleaner. However, the images from current iPhone cameras are extremely good that I no longer need digital "consumer" cameras. I used to have a few digital consumer cameras and now I don't. 

I still use FF DSLR for serious photography since it allows a lot more dynamic range and I have the flexibility to choose settings. Given its bigger sensor, it's able to collect more light and be able to get more signal out of noise which in turn makes the image look clean. That's something you just cannot do that with a camera with tiny sensors. 

I agree - I own the Panasonic GH5 and the Sony A7S.

The irony is; the dynamic range on the iPhone is sometimes better because it processes images in such an advanced way, the end-result is more pleasing much 'easier'. Unless you really take the time post-processing, in which case the DSLR can win in the hands of the right user.

For the high-end stuff I still grab these cameras, like you said because of the low-light / noise, and the shooting ergonomics on set.

Sometimes the better product is not the one with the best features. I own a Tesla S, but I find the Tesla 3 to be the better product. Its features are inferior, but it's selling so well because it caters to a larger audience for a much better price-point. The total package is better.

Great optical quality isn't everything in a world where people consume most content on Instagram, and not in the cinema.

dotcomcto
  • Reply 10 of 17
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    could use the technology of a company they bought years ago- Spektral. there was a leak recently about the portrait mode getting overhauled
    max tech made a great video about   video on iphone 13 
    https://youtu.be/dayCO0zMxAo
  • Reply 11 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    I no longer even consider bringing my mirrorless APS-C camera and its Zeiss prime lens that cost more than the body with me traveling. I'm about to upgrade that (now 8yo) setup to a $5500 combo just for video work, but each year the iPhone's video capabilities are reducing the need for that kind of setup for simpler shoots. Pretty incredible stuff all around.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Would be OK if I could stick in a 256GB SD card to capture those super-sized files. Will ProRes files be automatically uploaded to the cloud, too?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I no longer even consider bringing my mirrorless APS-C camera and its Zeiss prime lens that cost more than the body with me traveling. I'm about to upgrade that (now 8yo) setup to a $5500 combo just for video work, but each year the iPhone's video capabilities are reducing the need for that kind of setup for simpler shoots. Pretty incredible stuff all around.
    What's kills the iPhone - and other small-sensor cameras like GoPro - is low light. Even lighting conditions that seem OK result in an image that falls apart very quickly. Daylight: awesome! Everything else: meh.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    There are “pro” photo taking apps out there that you might like, but the frustrating part is, once again, Apple’s anti-competitive behavior. I can’t wait for them to end up in court and see them getting legally, seriously hurt. 

You cannot link the camera icon on your home-screen to your app of choice.

…And therefore you cannot replace the photo storage from iCloud to anything you like.  
  • Reply 15 of 17
    There are “pro” photo taking apps out there that you might like, but the frustrating part is, once again, Apple’s anti-competitive behavior. I can’t wait for them to end up in court and see them getting legally, seriously hurt. 

…And therefore you cannot replace the photo storage from iCloud to anything you like.  
    So this wasn’t about taking video with an iPhone, this was an Anti Apple take clothed in iPhone camera fluff talk. 

You know you really could have been upfront and just said ‘I don’t like Apple’. 
    dotcomcto
  • Reply 16 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

You can configure Dropbox to upload all photos taken with the camera, I don't know if any other services do this but it's certainly possible: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/photos/camera-uploads-overview

I agree that it should be possible to set a default camera app.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    crowley said:

You can configure Dropbox to upload all photos taken with the camera, I don't know if any other services do this but it's certainly possible: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/photos/camera-uploads-overview

I agree that it should be possible to set a default camera app.
    Ummmm... while you're waiting for Apple to get "seriously, legally hurt"--which is probably gonna be a VERY long wait--and at the risk of stating an obvious solution to a different default camera app: move the stock app to a folder or a secondary screen, and just leave the "default" camera app of your choice on the home screen.