vB q?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
is there any way to set the number of threads per page?

I'd like the number to be higher...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    ok, <bump> do other people agree? disagree? is this even possible with the current software?

I don't like when threads drop to the next page, so I'd like the option of at least making that window bigger...if at least for me
  • Reply 2 of 17
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I agree. I'm on high speed ADSL though, so I have to capacity to agree with you. Others have to download a banner a page on their modems, so all bits help.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I agree. I'm on Cable, so, I'd like to be able to have about 80+ threads per page.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    aren't 50 / page enough? i think it could be higher with vB but i'm too lazy to log and see..
  • Reply 5 of 17
    not posts, threads... the # is much lower then 50
  • Reply 6 of 17
    The number has traditionally always been 40 posts per page here on AI (at least for as far back as I can remember) and was something I always preferred to MacNN's forum which has 50 per page. I know it sounds like a small difference, but I vote to stay our traditional 40 per page.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Im talking about the forums page... the number of threads not posts you can choose the number of posts per thread in the UCP
  • Reply 8 of 17
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

Im talking about the forums page... the number of threads not posts you can choose the number of posts per thread in the UCP

Right i have choose to have 50 post per page, but it slow down the loading, so the initial setup of 40 is probabiliy better for me and my damn 56 K (theoric) connection.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I know what you mean, Paul, and I support it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

Sorry I misread the post

It isn't that big a deal to me but it is always nice to have options so yes, this sounds like a fine idea.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Not on a per-user basis, no.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Not on a per-user basis, no.

why not? too much work? \
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Then put it to a vote (if you don't mind). I figure most of us are on broadband of some kind, I'd rather have more per page also....
  • Reply 14 of 17
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Yeah, setting it to something like 100 shouldn't cause too many dial-up users to complain.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

why not? too much work? \

Uh, yeah. That's right.

I'd have to:

A) read through a boatload of vB's code.

B) figure out how to hack the code and modify it to allow users to control this kind of feature of an individual basis

C) write new templates for the new code I would have written in B

D) pray to god/jesus/allah/buddha/{insert diety here} that my very dirty hack doesn't completely destroy the user database

B would, of course, take an enormous amount of time, far more time than I would want to spend even if I didn't have to attend class or eat or sleep.

There is no simple toggle for this "feature". That's all there is to it. Users can set the number of posts per page of a thread but not the number of threads per page of a forum.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    alrighty, then.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Yeah, setting it to something like 100 shouldn't cause too many dial-up users to complain.

its at 25 now... maybe 40 or 50?