FEMA, FCC conducted smartphone Wireless Emergency Alert test on Wednesday

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2021
The second nationwide test of the Wireless Emergency Alert was conducted on Aug. 11 at 2:20 p.m. Eastern on smartphones that have opted in.

The Wireless Emergency Alert system is used to alert public of emergencies
The Wireless Emergency Alert system is used to alert public of emergencies

The test was conducted to ensure that the Wireless Emergency Alert and Emergency Alert System effectively warn the public. The Wireless Emergency Alert appeared on smartphones that opted in.

In order to opt into future tests, iPhone users can dial a specific sequence of numbers in the Phone app. Dial *5005*25371# to enable test notifications. Dial *5005*25370# to disable test notifications.

Android users can toggle emergency test systems from the Settings app.

Smartphone users who opted in to testing the Wireless Emergency Alert received one test message at around 2:20 p.m. ET. The message was sent using the FEMA Integrated Public Alert and Warning System.

Devices received the alert via local cell towers. The test signal was be broadcast for 30 minutes and caused a message to display, reading: "THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Didn’t happen here.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Didn’t happen here.
    • In case the Aug. 11 test is canceled due to widespread severe weather or other significant events, a back-up testing date is scheduled for Aug. 25.
    williamlondonAniMill
  • Reply 3 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    Nothing here, either.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    Is it just me, or was the text of this article changed significantly from earlier when it was a future-tense proposition?

Seems like there was generic language about going to settings to opt out if you want, but none of this: "In order to opt into future tests, iPhone users can dial a specific sequence of numbers in the Phone app. Dial *5005*25371# to enable test notifications. Dial *5005*25370# to disable test notifications."

The earlier version read as though this was going to be a test reaching nearly every phone out there that had not opted out and turned off emergency alerts in notifications. Now, it's describing a test that you have to actively opt in to receive, and doing so is not accomplished in your phone's settings menu.

I appreciate that articles get updated with new information, but I thought the practice here was to tag such a headline with [u] to indicate it's been revised. Not that it matters, but the significant change in the article's text leaves those of us who commented (on the original article) that we didn't receive the test message looking like we didn't read the opt-in instructions correctly. Seeing as how the instructions were entirely replaced, that's not an accurate impression. I'm just saying.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    Oh, the irony…
    • “In case the Aug. 11 test is canceled due to widespread severe weather or other significant events, a back-up testing date is scheduled for Aug. 25.”
    patchythepiratebaconstangMisterKitfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I got something on the FM radio, but nuttin’ on the phone, iPad or Apple Watch…
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Didn't receive either.  While we're on this subject, does anyone know why these alerts don't also allow for notifications in the Lock Screen and Notification Center?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Has anybody not disabled this?  I know that's one of the first things I did after this "feature" appeared.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    mistergsf said:
    Didn't receive either.  While we're on this subject, does anyone know why these alerts don't also allow for notifications in the Lock Screen and Notification Center?
    I just downloaded the app.  Went to <settings>, <notifications>, clicked on the app and set up the notifications I'd like.  Including Lock Screen and NC.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 12
    darkvader said:
    Has anybody not disabled this?  I know that's one of the first things I did after this "feature" appeared.
    Different "feature".  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    mistergsf said:
    I just downloaded the app.  Went to <settings>, <notifications>, clicked on the app and set up the notifications I'd like.  Including Lock Screen and NC.
    What app?
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mistergsf said:
    What app?
    I guess there's a few.
    I got the Red Cross app, 'Emergency'.   Chose your location, plus others, adjust proximity and type of impending doom (choose from 10), specify type of notification and you're set.  It also lists response resources, and ways to donate to those effected.
    watto_cobra