'iPhone 13' to launch in September with A15, bigger batteries, researchers say

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2021
Apple is likely to release all four models of its new "iPhone 13" lineup in September with larger batteries, an updated chipset, and expanded mmWave 5G support, according to research firm TrendForce.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

TrendForce on Thursday outlined its expectations for the device, which it says will return to a typical September release. Driven by the new models, the research firm believes that total iPhone shipments could surge 30% year-over-year in the third quarter of of 2021.

The report also outlines some of the features that TrendForce expects on the new "iPhone 13" models, and they largely line up with previous rumors and reports.

For example, the research firm expects the "iPhone 13" to have larger batteries and sport a new 5nm A15 chipset. It could also expand mmWave 5G support to more countries. All of those are seemingly based on past rumors from other analysts, leaks, and supply chain reports.

Additionally, other reports suggest that the "iPhone 13" could sport a new 120Hz ProMotion display and additional professional camera features like ProRes video recording. A report from July also indicated that the "iPhone 13 Pro" models would swap Pacific Blue for a bronze-like "Sunset Gold" color.

Apple typically unveils new iPhone models in September. In 2020, largely because of the pandemic, it launched the iPhone 12 lineup in October. Most current reports suggest a return to the company's usual release timeline.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    The backside of these phones are sure getting ugly. 
    OutdoorAppDeveloperdanox
  • Reply 2 of 33
    mr lizard said:
    Maybe, but the broken glass look that most seem to have on the older phones is also looking bit dated...
    pulseimageskingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Sorry. If they launch without Touch ID Apple can kiss post-pandemic sales bye-bye. Calls to warrant masks again make it important as ever. I’ll jump to an Android. 
  • Reply 4 of 33
    frayapple said:
    Sorry. If they launch without Touch ID Apple can kiss post-pandemic sales bye-bye. Calls to warrant masks again make it important as ever. I’ll jump to an Android. 
    I can sell you my iPhone 7, it has only touchID  and no pesky FaceID!
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    frayapple said:

Oh, please. Give it a rest. Will not affect sales one iota.
    It's a minor annoyance to enter a passcode when you are wearing a mask and it goes away all together if you have an Apple Watch. Many people will still only wear a mask for a small portion of the day. Enjoy your Android device.

roakeJapheylibertyandfreeStrangeDaysJFC_PAdanoxnapoleon_phoneapartpatchythepiratecharlesnionicle
  • Reply 6 of 33
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    mr lizard said:
    Flip it over. The important stuff is on the front side. 
    tmaymacguipulseimagesStrangeDaysJFC_PAnapoleon_phoneapartpatchythepirateJinTechioniclericmac
  • Reply 7 of 33
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    frayapple said:
    This comment won't age well. 
    tmaymacguiArchStantonpulseimagesStrangeDaysapplguynadrielnapoleon_phoneapartricmackingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 8 of 33
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    frayapple said:
    Bye bye.    It would be nice to have touch Id but for 99.99999999% of iPhone users it is nothing but a minor annoyance for those rare times you have a mask on.  (And yes I often wear one in indoors public areas even without a mandate and my passcode is a longer than standard one)
    tmaynapoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 33
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    mike1 said:
    frayapple said:

It's a minor annoyance to enter a passcode when you are wearing a mask and it goes away all together if you have an Apple Watch. Many people will still only wear a mask for a small portion of the day. Enjoy your Android device.

I’m a physician working in a Covid ICU, and I can tell you that Covid again has gotten as bad as it was near the beginning of the year, and getting worse by the day.  For me at least, masks aren’t going away, at work or in public.

Initially, it was slightly painful to have to enter my password every single time I used the phone because Face ID wouldn’t work.  However, with the Apple Watch, it’s now mostly seamless.

I agree with the above poster.  Enjoy your Android device.  You will just make the wait for my new iPhone slightly shorter.
    tmayGG1OutdoorAppDeveloperStrangeDaysJFC_PAapplguynapoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Reasons to upgrade if you didn't buy last year's iPhone.
    1. Mag safe. It's not a new feature but it was the best feature last year and it has likely been improved in the iPhone 13.
    2. Improved 5G support. Don't know how it's better but it will be based on Apple's comments. Likely will be more improved in the iPhone 14 though.
    3. That sweet, sweet Apple Silicon. Same as always. Awesome as always.
    4. Because your spouse/kid/parent needs an upgrade and can have your hand-me-down. It's a kind of recycling.

Wait, why didn't I mention the camera that Apple will spend half the presentation gushing over? Because in the end you take a picture and it looks great. Most people can't tell the difference generation to generation and don't use all the new features. The iPhone 13 won't have a super zoom sadly. I would love to see craters on the Moon but that will have to wait until Apple implements a prism it seems.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 33
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I hope the 13 mini gets a better battery to load ratio. The battery in my 12 mini is already getting close to replacement level and I use and charge it the same way as my 5S which got terrific battery life and lacked Charging Optimization.

Yes the screen is bigger and OLED, but the battery is bigger as well. I use Dark mode a lot, and keep brightness down. But the battery being this close to replacement this soon is troubling. Apple doesn't make it easy anymore to find the Cycle count. Coincidence? I think not.
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    frayapple said:
    Buh bye.

Whiner.
    ArchStantonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    If the rumored specs are what they are, lucky-13 may be finally the one that will have me upgrading my iPhoneX.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 33
    flydog said:
    frayapple said:
    This comment won't age well. 
    The comment that sales will go “bye bye” without Touch ID didn’t have an age, it was dead on arrival. However, there could be some comedy value that has a day or two shelf life. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Reasons to upgrade if you didn't buy last year's iPhone.
    1. Mag safe. It's not a new feature but it was the best feature last year and it has likely been improved in the iPhone 13.
    2. Improved 5G support. Don't know how it's better but it will be based on Apple's comments. Likely will be more improved in the iPhone 14 though.
    3. That sweet, sweet Apple Silicon. Same as always. Awesome as always.
    4. Because your spouse/kid/parent needs an upgrade and can have your hand-me-down. It's a kind of recycling.

Wait, why didn't I mention the camera that Apple will spend half the presentation gushing over? Because in the end you take a picture and it looks great. Most people can't tell the difference generation to generation and don't use all the new features. The iPhone 13 won't have a super zoom sadly. I would love to see craters on the Moon but that will have to wait until Apple implements a prism it seems.
    To each their own, they’ll be a few who want this, but super zoom is not something that is clamored for by any iPhone user I know. The practical use of it is in very limited circumstances. 
    Otherwise good list. I have the IP11 and will be upgrading this year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 33
    frayapple said:
    roake said:
    mike1 said:
    frayapple said:

I’m a physician working in a Covid ICU, and I can tell you that Covid again has gotten as bad as it was near the beginning of the year, and getting worse by the day.  For me at least, masks aren’t going away, at work or in public.

Initially, it was slightly painful to have to enter my password every single time I used the phone because Face ID wouldn’t work.  However, with the Apple Watch, it’s now mostly seamless.

I agree with the above poster.  Enjoy your Android device.  You will just make the wait for my new iPhone slightly shorter.
    The fact that the virus is getting worse by the day means that the pandemic will end sooner. For herd immunity we need 70% to 80% of the people either fully vaccinated or to have contracted the virus. So the more people that get the virus, the sooner that will happen. This pandemic should be completely over by next spring.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    chadbag said:
    frayapple said:
    My passcode is a longer than standard one)
    That’s what she said. 
    napoleon_phoneapartpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    The fact that the virus is getting worse by the day means that the pandemic will end sooner. For herd immunity we need 70% to 80% of the people either fully vaccinated or to have contracted the virus. So the more people that get the virus, the sooner that will happen. This pandemic should be completely over by next spring.
    Well, kinda maybe. The more we keep things going virus-wise, the more chances the virus gets to mutate and potentially become more potent. IF enough people vaccinate and IF everyone where's a mask when appropriate, the virus will have a harder time spreading and then will mostly die out. Every time we take too long to do this we invite the virus to play for another round. As a probably too political side-note - the whole 'freedom' thing kills me. Not many people complain that it's illegal to get drunk and drive because it makes sense to have a rule that keeps you from harming others. Totally allowable to drink yourself to death. As soon as you put others in danger (by being drunk behind the wheel) that's when your actions can endanger others. Here, the simple act of wearing a mask and getting vaccinated does the same thing will help all of this pass sooner. NOT doing it puts others in danger. Our freedoms always have limits when they interfere with the freedoms of others. And you know, it's two ounces of fabric - oh the burden of it all :)  I mean, it would be really horrible if it mutates again and the the vaccines we currently have aren't quite up to the task of keeping us healthy enough to beat it. They evolve quickly because they replicate quickly, giving them more chances to mutate. 
    PascalxxapplguykingofsomewherehotJinTech
  • Reply 19 of 33
    macgui said:
    I hope the 13 mini gets a better battery to load ratio. The battery in my 12 mini is already getting close to replacement level and I use and charge it the same way as my 5S which got terrific battery life and lacked Charging Optimization.

Yes the screen is bigger and OLED, but the battery is bigger as well. I use Dark mode a lot, and keep brightness down. But the battery being this close to replacement this soon is troubling. Apple doesn't make it easy anymore to find the Cycle count. Coincidence? I think not.
    Are you a heavy user? Play a lot of games? Why not get the MagSafe Battery pack? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Touch ID is what I'm waiting for.  If the new model doesn't have it, I may get a 12.