Apple promises macOS scanner fix in a future update

Posted:
in macOS
Apple will be fixing an issue in macOS preventing some scanners from working, a bug fix that will be arriving in a future operating system update.

Some Mac users have encountered problems when trying to scan, with warnings advising they "do not have permission to open the application" on their device. Apple has given the heads-up that a solution is on the way.

In a support document published on Friday and found by MacRumors, Apple acknowledges that the error sometimes appears on trying to use a connected scanner within Image Capture, Preview, or the Printers & Scanners preferences.

The warning message tells users they don't have permission to open the application, followed by the name of the scanner driver. They are also told to contact an administrator for help, or that the Mac failed to open a connection to the scanner at all.

iPhone and iPad owners have an option to perform document scanning using their devices, then to share those files with the Mac as a workaround.

The page advises that a permanent fix will be on the way in a "future software update," though not when that will arrive. It also offers a series of steps to resolve the issue in the meantime.

Those steps are:
  • Quit all open applications.
  • In the Finder, click Go then Go to Folder.
  • Type in /Library/Image Capture/Devices then enter.
  • In the next window, double-click the app mentioned in the error message to open it.
  • Close the window and open the app being used to scan.
Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Let me get this straight. Apple introduced a bug that broke flat bed scanners even though this technology has been well understood for decades. At the same time Apple is planning to scan everyone's private photos and turn over the information to governments without a warrant using extremely sophisticated image recognition software and we should just trust them to get it right and never have a bug that exposes any private information or worse gets someone arrested even though they were innocent? This level of hubris is off the scale. Time for new management at Apple.
    mobirddarkvader
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Makes sense that they’re now getting to this.  First they had to build a “CSAM” scanner.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Let me get this straight. Apple introduced a bug that broke flat bed scanners even though this technology has been well understood for decades.
    I suspect the "kids" doing this may have never seen a scanner.   Mine has not been opened or even connected for many, many years.  I can't remember the last time I used it.   It was probably back when I used it to scan images for my Fax machine.
    Medical offices still use them.  But, increasingly they are going the way of Fax Machines.

killroy
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Let me get this straight. Apple introduced a bug that broke flat bed scanners even though this technology has been well understood for decades. At the same time Apple is planning to scan everyone's private photos and turn over the information to governments without a warrant using extremely sophisticated image recognition software and we should just trust them to get it right and never have a bug that exposes any private information or worse gets someone arrested even though they were innocent? This level of hubris is off the scale. Time for new management at Apple.
    Someone doesn’t understand how hash matching works. 
    F_Kent_Dkillroymwhiteroundaboutnowfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    mr lizard said:
    Someone doesn't understand how easily bugs can arise and how disastrous their presence can be.
    edited August 2021 darkvader
  • Reply 6 of 13
    This is just sloppy and another example of how Apple has been slacking on supporting and enabling professional users. No, I don't use my scanner every day or even every week... but when I need it, I need it. With a decent, mid-priced scanner, I can scan 200 pages in less than four minutes. Try doing that with an iPhone or iPad.
    pulseimagesdarkvader
  • Reply 7 of 13
    killroykillroy Posts: 271member
    Well my scanner works without any problems. It would be nice to know which model scanners have this problem.
    edited August 2021 robin huberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I had this problem with a multifunction HP LaserJet 100 colorMFP M175. Resolved a few days ago using a Terminal command that did the same thing as the fix described in this article, thanks to an HP.com support thread. The answer came from a user, several HP employees were on there but only suggested things that didn’t work.

Apple wasn’t much help either, basically just saying “Use AirPrint” — but that didn’t work for the scanner. Not sure if the bug is with regard to Apple’s implementation of AirPrint, or some kind of permissions bug. I’ll admit I had never heard of AirPrint before this.

Good for Apple posting this support document, because it’s an easy fix. 

*Editing to clarify that I’m not using AirPrint for the driver. I had to install the HP Printer Drivers v5.1 package to be able to set up the scanner:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888
    edited August 2021 darkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Ahhhhhhha! I just brought this up that my Epson Workforce Pro Scanner encountered this bug the other day and everyone told me to contact Epson. 
    darkvader
  • Reply 10 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I was actually surprised that my older Canon V600 scanner worked with my M1 iMac once I installed the latest couple of days old Epson drivers and Rosetta 2 kicked in. Upon initial hookup it was not recognized at all. Maybe mine isn’t as old as the ones that aren’t working. Fwiw, I’m connected using a TB to USB-A y-adapter. 
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mr lizard said:
    Yes and it's Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cpsro said:
    mr lizard said:
    Someone doesn't understand how easily bugs can arise and how disastrous their presence can be.
    Yep. And bugs can happen in any piece of code. For example the code that sends the user information to law enforcement. Think how easy it would be for iCloud to mix up user data. This is something we see happen frequently on web sites where a user finds another user's data when they log in. Annoying when it is Walmart. Deadly when it is iCloud and the data gets you arrested and ruins your reputation.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mr lizard said:
    Yes and it's Apple.
    LOL ok sure if you say so

Yep. And bugs can happen in any piece of code. For example the code that sends the user information to law enforcement. Think how easy it would be for iCloud to mix up user data. This is something we see happen frequently on web sites where a user finds another user's data when they log in. Annoying when it is Walmart. Deadly when it is iCloud and the data gets you arrested and ruins your reputation.
    Again, you don't understand how any of this works and are hellbent on demonstrating that to all of us. There is no "code that sends the user information to law enforcement", so entertaining your nonsense argument beyond that is pointless.

edited August 2021 watto_cobra