Users lobby 1Password to abandon new Electron version

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    1Password is by far my favorite password manager, and I use it heavily across Mac, iOS, and Windows.  But they have long had a VERY dismissive attitude towards user requests, and the difficulty of outright buying the app instead of subscribing is also pretty off-putting.
    maximarawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Jayaigh said:
    chadbag said:
    Honest question:   What does something like 1password offer me above what I get for free with the keychain IF I don’t care about cross platform (meaning outside of Apple) use?  I don’t care about android or windows. 

I’m happily just using KeyChain which covers me on macOS, iOS, iPad, etc. 
    Exactly... I just don't see any use for 1Password while we have Keychain. Can someone elaborate on this?

There are quite a few websites where Keychain won't fill in passwords. 1Password can force the fields to be filled in. At least it did way back when. I stopped using it when they went to subscriptions.
    maltzlostkiwiwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 84
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    co-ords said:
    I dropped them when they went to a subscription based model but reading this just strengthens my choice. There are enough alternatives!!
    Unfortunately the best alternatives are also subscription based. :/

I started using 1password back when Apple abandoned MobileMe and left users in a lurch for a password manager that would sync across devices. I grudgingly paid the subscription fee when 1PW switched because in many ways it’s still better than Keychain. It stores and fills other information besides just passwords and the keychain app is a PITA to use. 

Still, I’ve been less and less enamored with 1PW. The user interface is often times intrusive when, taking over the screen with popups when I don’t want it to, and I’ve also noticed that even the current version wastes a lot of energy and was contributing to excessive battery drain in my MBP. I shudder to think how much power the electron version is going to draw. 

If I’m paying a subscription, I expect the software to work well and be kept up to date; that was their excuse for switching models, right? You pay for ongoing updates. When they pull crap like this it tells me it’s time to dump them. 
    Rayz2016 said:
    The biggest complaint, however, is that they're dropping the standalone version completely: no more local vaults. Everything has to be stored on 1password.com.
    This is a huge turnoff for me, too. 
    edited August 2021 maltzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Jayaigh said:
    chadbag said:
    Honest question:   What does something like 1password offer me above what I get for free with the keychain IF I don’t care about cross platform (meaning outside of Apple) use?  I don’t care about android or windows. 

Exactly... I just don't see any use for 1Password while we have Keychain. Can someone elaborate on this?

There are quite a few websites where Keychain won't fill in passwords. 1Password can force the fields to be filled in. At least it did way back when. I stopped using it when they went to subscriptions.
    Expanding on this, keychain has passwords and that’s it. other password managers like 1PW, lastpass, etc. store other information like credit card info, passport and driver’s license info, secure notes, scanned images, etc.

The keychain app is also pretty pathetic and cluttered with extra information that MacOS may need but you don’t really care about. If you want to actually look up a password on an iOS device, the other password managers run circles around keychain. You can do it with keychain, but it’s not easy.
    lam92103pscooter63lostkiwidoozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 84
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Unless one is creating a game or a specialized professional-grade app, I don't see a bright future for native apps on desktop operating systems.  I see it most app gravitating towards being web apps.
    I guess it's time to invest in memory manufacturing.  Once every app is a full-blown web browser, people are going to need a lot more memory on their devices to avoid performance problems.  So much for battery life.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 84
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    chadbag said:

Honestly, I'm fairly terrified of using iCloud to sync something as important as passwords, given my past experience of how often it screws up syncing things like contacts.  (Rarely, but not never...)  But you've clearly never used a password manager if you think they're just a paid version of Keychain.  1PW can store security questions, MFA keys (and will fill out your one-time-use code for you), notes, login URL, etc about each site.  And beyond logins, it can store payment options such as credit card info, credentials like passport/driver's license info, software licenses keys, membership info... all sorts of things.  You can even add attachments.  It will also warn you when a site you use has been hacked and you need to change your password; if you're (hopefully unwittingly) using the same password for multiple accounts; will display the quality of your passwords; and 1PW even integrates with haveIbeenpwned to tell you if your specific password has ever been compromised in ANY hack anywhere.  (That sounds unnerving, but the way haveIbeenpwned does this really is secure, and neither your password, nor even its hash, is ever sent outside of 1PW.)
    tude
  • Reply 27 of 84
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Rayz2016 said:
    chadbag said:

Lots of folk use it on Windows and Android. If they're chasing the corporate market then they definitely need Windows support.

Sure.   I mentioned that in the question. Even capitalized the IF.  

If I don’t need support for Windows and Android what do these things buy me over Keychain?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 84
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    MplsP said:
    Jayaigh said:
    chadbag said:

Expanding on this, keychain has passwords and that’s it. other password managers like 1PW, lastpass, etc. store other information like credit card info, passport and driver’s license info, secure notes, scanned images, etc.

The keychain app is also pretty pathetic and cluttered with extra information that MacOS may need but you don’t really care about. If you want to actually look up a password on an iOS device, the other password managers run circles around keychain. You can do it with keychain, but it’s not easy.
    Keychain can store anything you want.  (And safari stores Credit Cards if you trust it — probably using keychain).  
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 29 of 84
    chadbag said:

1. the UI for iCloud Keychain (Keychain Access on the Mac, and some dippy little section in Settings on iOS) is pretty awful.
    2. 1Password lets you have multiple keychains (or "vaults" in their parlance). Every time I take a contract with a startup, among the first things they do is send me a corporate vault containing all the logins I'll need and where I can store my own.
    3. that multiple vault thing goes for family access as well. You and a spouse can have shared and separate keychains, selectively share with kids, etc.
    4. 1Password allows you to store secure documents. I have things like a photo of my vaccine card, my state ID, various personal notes kept there. (Keychain Access will let you store secure documents, but only text, not photos)
    5. the big one — MFA logins. If you're using SMS codes sent to your cellphone, you're a stone-cold chump. Highly insecure. There are some 3rd party apps like Google Authenticator and Authy*, they're very poorly made; 1Password's built-in MFA rocks.
    6. password breaches — 1Password keeps an eye on haveibeenpwned.com password leaks and lets you know when a stored password has been exposed.

Despite all these, I'd probably swap to iCloud Keychain if they just did MFA. However, I think Apple is just hoping MFA goes away in favor of Login with Apple (it never will) or something something FaceID/TouchID (possible).

* irony: I dumped Authy for MFA in favor of 1Password because Authy is another dogshit Electron app.
    edited August 2021 roundaboutnowMplsPwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 30 of 84
    maltz said:
    1Password is by far my favorite password manager, and I use it heavily across Mac, iOS, and Windows.  But they have long had a VERY dismissive attitude towards user requests, and the difficulty of outright buying the app instead of subscribing is also pretty off-putting.
    Funny that you mention that… just two weeks ago I submitted a feature request to add "MFA Passwords" to the Categories section. MFA autofill is hit-or-miss, I wanted the ability to just look up MFAs quickly without having to type in "a-m-a-z-o-" to find them.

The respondent from 1Password was… yeah, dismissive is the right word. Told me that 1Password does MFA. "yes obviously." Told me that there's already a list of passwords, and that it's searchable. "yup, got that." Told me that I could copy an MFA password by tapping on it. "yes. if you tap on it in the right place… that's a separate thing, never mind." Told me that it does MFA autofill. "most of the time." sigh
    edited August 2021 Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 84
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Electron is terrible.
    lam92103watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 32 of 84
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Electron on macOS is garbage - there will be plenty of people who move away from 1password because it’ll simply be unusably resource intensive, it won’t even be about sending a message. 

Considering how many people at Apple use it, I won’t be surprised if this one gets “sherlocked”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 84
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I just recently switched to Enpass because 1Password is forcing everyone to put their data in the cloud. Enpass doesn’t yet have WiFi sync, but have it in beta. 
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 84
    I am still using 1P6 as I found 1P7 horrible, even with the full license. I’ve been moving towards to enPass for years and will probably do so when I’m forced to upgrade due to is compatibility. 

1P used to be a great company, then they went on the subscription bandwagon…. 
    lostkiwiwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 84
    1P used to be a great company, then they went on the subscription bandwagon…. 
    I finally ‘upgraded’ only because 1P6 wasn’t compatible with safari. Wasn’t much of an upgrade, though  

I read somewhere that companies make their reputation on the way up and their money on the way down  looks like 1P is making money…
    lostkiwiwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 84
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    chadbag said:

1P can store answers to security questions, license files, etc. If auto-fill fails, it's pretty easy to retrieve the info from 1P.

But yes, there's no way I'm subscribing to 1P for an inferior UI.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 84
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 122member
    Electron is not acceptable to me. Will cancel my Family Membership if they do this
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 84
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I recall reading Apple purchased a site license for 1Password maybe 3 years ago. I wonder how Apple feels about this change.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chadbag said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    chadbag said:

Lots of folk use it on Windows and Android. If they're chasing the corporate market then they definitely need Windows support.

Sure.   I mentioned that in the question. Even capitalized the IF.  

If I don’t need support for Windows and Android what do these things buy me over Keychain?
    Oh, in that case:

2FA support
    File storage
    Adding your own fields. 
    Apple Watch support

MplsP
  • Reply 40 of 84
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I have to throw my hat into the I am not liking the direction this app is heading rink. I have been a user since version 1. I really like it especially when they added IOS support. I keep all my important information in 1pw, got my CC numbers,  license for software and other information I want locked up but need from time to tome. I like the fact you could sync without going to the cloud, grant it is not automation it required a manual sync but keeps the private information local to my devices. 

The latest version 7 is problematic, I hate the fact if you do not store your vault on 1pw cloud, you first have to open stand alone app and unlock the password file on your computer before Safari can access the local copy of the vault. 1pw is pushing everyone to the subscription only model and using their severs to store your vault and sync across devices. You also have to have a subscription to have two people on the same computer us the App. A single license not longer works on multiply login on the same computer.

Safari Keychain password has improved over the years and now works across apps on IOS, but it limited to passwords and CC numbers it does not easily store other personal information.
    lostkiwi