Users lobby 1Password to abandon new Electron version

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    dewme said:
    Hey, if I had my choice all software would be written in C++ because it weeds out the good developers from the lazy ones by making it very painful to be imprecise to the nth degree.
    Why not write in assembler, then?
    It got me very close to the machine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 84
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Yes the iOS access to the keychain makes looking up other info you put in there a bit problematic.  That is true.  On the Mac it is easy in my experience.   Not that I do much except experiment.  I use protected notes for things like license keys.  I don’t store CC data online personally. 

But iOS keychain access is rather weak.  

I suppose on Mac MFA access would make things marginally better.  I use MFA whenever it is available and just have an iOS app that generates them and enter them in the infrequent case I am asked for one.  Unfortunately most services I use are lit up to date with MFA. 

Apple is not trying to go to “login with Apple” or anything.  If you want to see where they are going in the future go look at the WWDC videos for the technology preview they presented.  
  • Reply 43 of 84
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    I have a 1PW family subscription.  We use the hell out of it storing passwords/CCs/important docs/medical information in both shared and private vaults.  It’s incredibly handy that my whole family can share logins/information in a secure way.

I will definitely wait to see what happens with the new app - but if it is slow that will be a problem.  I use it a hundred times a day… of every interaction is painful then I’ll be forced to move.  We’ll see.
    dewme
  • Reply 44 of 84
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Lame. Write once, run anywhere just ain't what it's cracked up to be. Surely they can put their business logic in library classes and maintain app/UI code on a couple different platforms. As Mad Men's Don Draper said: "That's what the money is for!"
    pscooter63MplsP
  • Reply 45 of 84
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    dewme said:
    Hey, if I had my choice all software would be written in C++ because it weeds out the good developers from the lazy ones by making it very painful to be imprecise to the nth degree.
    But you give up the benefits of working in an object-oriented language, which many developers really enjoy and find easier to maintain.
    auxioMplsP
  • Reply 46 of 84
    My move to Bitwarden's looking better and better.  Hopefully they don't go the same route.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Rayz2016 said:
    The biggest complaint, however, is that they're dropping the standalone version completely: no more local vaults. Everything has to be stored on 1password.com.

Are you saying that version 6.x.x of 1Password will no longer work?

I've been using version 6 ever since they flipped over to a subscription model and it still serves my needs. I've been playing around with the free version of BitWarden just to get a feel for it. If they kill version 6 I'll definitely intensify my look at alternatives. The Electron thing doesn't bother me at all. Losing the full functionality that I've been using every single day for several years would be a bummer.

Maybe Apple will step up and give us what we really want, which will be about 10 milliseconds before Apple has to figure out how to fend off the kamikaze attack from disgruntled third party developers whose toes are getting crunched.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    dewme said:

Because I prefer my pain and suffering to be served in an object oriented format and with a genealogical lineage traceable back to K&R C. If you can't fit the entire language reference manual into a book that's less than half an inch thick, why are you wasting my time? Assembler? I've done machine code for 6502, which is the software equivalent of using a soldering iron. No mas.
    StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 49 of 84
    My move to Bitwarden's looking better and better.  Hopefully they don't go the same route.
    Bitwarden is also an Electron App on macOS.

I recommend Strongbox, uses kdbx files which can be opened on by any KeePass implementation, has native Mac an iOS apps with auto fill plugins and can have it's kdbx files on iCloud, Google Drive or drop box if you are comfortable with that.

GG1
  • Reply 50 of 84
    chadbag said:
    Honest question:   What does something like 1password offer me above what I get for free with the keychain IF I don’t care about cross platform (meaning outside of Apple) use?  I don’t care about android or windows. 

I’m happily just using KeyChain which covers me on macOS, iOS, iPad, etc. 
    I use it for more than just user/pword. It can store images and notes with your entries. Very useful, but I've avoided the subscription with my older version. Will look in to alternatives if things don't go well for 1P. 
  • Reply 51 of 84
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    chelgrian said:
    Bitwarden is also an Electron App on macOS.

I recommend Strongbox, uses kdbx files which can be opened on by any KeePass implementation, has native Mac an iOS apps with auto fill plugins and can have it's kdbx files on iCloud, Google Drive or drop box if you are comfortable with that.

Thanks for the info on Strongbox! They say they only write for MacOS/iOS. Never heard of this app, but it looks promising.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Same, I think Electron is a disaster, while making it easier to maintain codebases and keep them functionally in sync, unfortunately consumes a lot of memory, and I suspect the developers of Electron just don’t care that much to optimize for Mac. If they continue with this and 1Password has a bad user experience, I’ll consider leaving. Shame though, I just switched over from Lastpass…
  • Reply 53 of 84
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    I have been periodically messing with KeyPassXC and the only thing 1Password has going for it is its better integration with browsers.  KeyPassXC is cross platform, doesn't require this server subscription nonsense, open source, and best of all free.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I have an iCloud synced vault from way back when. I also now have a subscription though my sister's company who I do work for and have a seat they pay for. With the latest FF browser plugin, I could only access their org's cloud-based vault and not my own. I found that I could revert to the classic plugin to restore the previous access to my own vault. I emailed 1Password support and they confirmed that they will be moving away from the vaults outside of 1Password's servers, so I'll need to migrate at some point. But more frustrating was that if I wanted to keep that separate from the company vault account, I was welcome to add a second paid subscription of my own. Pretty stupid! I'm willing to bet my situation isn't unique.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Rayz2016 said:
    The biggest complaint, however, is that they're dropping the standalone version completely: no more local vaults. Everything has to be stored on 1password.com.

Oh crap, really?
    Well that tears it.  I guess after a decade of use I will have to quit it myself.  I held on to standalone ever since they started pushing subscription *hard*.  
    I was kind of hoping Apple was going to buy them out and bring everything in house.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    barthrh said:
    Based on my experience with apps using it, Electron is terrible. Flash terrible? Not quite, but working hard towards it. Microsoft is abandoning it for Teams, with the new 2.0 release expected to use 50% of the resources. 1P's native approach to Mac was a huge selling point. If that's gone, then I'll definitely take a look at alternatives.
    Far out. Microsoft abandoning Electron for Teams (a POS of truly atomic proportions) is really saying something :D
  • Reply 57 of 84
    lostkiwi said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Oh crap, really?
    Well that tears it.  I guess after a decade of use I will have to quit it myself.  I held on to standalone ever since they started pushing subscription *hard*.  
    I was kind of hoping Apple was going to buy them out and bring everything in house.
    That’s a shame. The app is already so much more buggy since they went to subscription.  I use the standalone vault but got my entire extended family using 1Password with subscriptions.  If it’s going to be slower and buggier from this one and I can’t even use my standalone vault anymore, I’ll definitely avoid upgrading.  Probably will tell everyone to do the same.  

I can see 1Password userbase fragmenting like android unless they force an upgrade to all users.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    chadbag said:
    Honest question:   What does something like 1password offer me above what I get for free with the keychain IF I don’t care about cross platform (meaning outside of Apple) use?  I don’t care about android or windows. 

This. 
    Is there any real advantage in using a dedicated password manager over the one that’s built-in?
  • Reply 59 of 84
    chadbag said:

This. 
    Is there any real advantage in using a dedicated password manager over the one that’s built-in?

If you are storing your own information and that's it? Not really.

If you have independent password stores for:

- You (Private)
    - Spouse (Private)
    - Kid 1 (Private)
    - Kid 2 (Private)
    - Kid 1 Shared with Parents (eg, school accounts)
    - Kid 2 Shared with Parents (eg, school accounts)
    - Shared with Spouse (eg, utility/bank accounts, etc)
    - Shared with Spouse, Kid 1, Kid 2 (eg, Disney+, Netflix, etc)
    - Your Parents (also shared with your siblings) (eg, utility accounts, airlines)
    - Your Spouse's Parents (also shared with spouse's siblings) (eg, utility accounts, airlines)

Then, yes, absolutely.
    friedmud
  • Reply 60 of 84
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    Not sure what the fuss is about seeing the bigger problem is that 1Password 8 will kill off the one-time payment version, forcing everyone into a subscription and eliminating DropBox storage entirely.  That alone is why I will retain my non-subscription version 7 for as long as MacOS will run it.
    ramanpfaff