'iPhone 13' launch due third week of September, says analyst

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2021
Apple will return to holding its iPhone launches in September, according to Wedbush analysts, with the "iPhone 13" expected to be unveiled in the third week of September.

Apple is known to hold fall events for the iPhone and other products, with the main iPhone launch itself typically occurring in September. After an October reveal of the iPhone 12 range in 2020, some analysts believe that Apple could return to form for 2021.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Wedbush's Asia supply chain checks for the second half of 2020 put iPhone builds at between 130 million and 150 million units. In terms of the breakdown into specific products, the "iPhone 13" is thought to be between 35% and 45% of third-quarter builds.

Wedbush reckons this outlook gives it "enhanced confidence" that launches in 2021 will be "normal" rather than late.

"From a timing perspective, we believe the current iPhone 13 launch is slated for the third week in September," the investment bank forecasts.

As for the supply chain itself, the current level of builds for the "iPhone 13" family is in the 90 million unit range, compared to initial pre-COVID checks for the iPhone 12 at 80 million units. The roughly 10% improvement year-on-year "speaks to an increased confidence with Cook & Co. that this 5G driven product cycle will extend well into 2022," Wedbush suggests.

Wedbush isn't the only one to expect a September launch. On August 12, TrendForce offered its own expectations, including a September release.

For 2021, Wedbush believes Apple will offer a 1 terabyte storage option in its models, double the 512GB limit of the iPhone 12 Pro. LiDAR is also thought to spread to all devices in the range, rather than being limited to the Pro generation, among other key enhancements.

Wedbush is also confident that Apple will see a "robust consumer product cycle" with high pent-up demand. It is estimated that some 250 million of the 975 million iPhones in use are 3.5 years old, or older, which could help push sales in the 2021 releases.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    My next iPhone will be whichever one loses the notch.

Not sure how long that’ll be, but they’ll get there eventually.
    tyler82
  • Reply 2 of 14
    So, a 1TB option, a better camera, same lightning connector and a slightly faster SoC. 
    Pass. Another Apple yawn fest.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    So, a 1TB option, a better camera, same lightning connector and a slightly faster SoC. 
    You and the 37 other people with the same insight can go hang out in the Microsoft Store.... oh wait...

ravnorodomStrangeDaystmaychasm
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    With the exception of the original 2007 iPhone which I kept, I buy a new Apple iPhone model every year, trading in the previous year’s model. So far, I’m not overly impressed with iPhone 13’s specs, but Gazelle will be hearing from me again this fall as usual.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I think phones in general have levelled off, there's just nothing much left to improve and we're only going to see a pretty steady state iteration.   I'm still perfectly satisfied with my iPhone X.

Look elsewhere for Apple innovation, the iPhone is in cruise control.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Why is this important or surprise ? We all know 2nd to 3rd week of September, Apple announces new iPhone models.
    chasm
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    wood1208 said:
    Why is this important or surprise ? We all know 2nd to 3rd week of September, Apple announces new iPhone models.
    This is important because the timing of the iPhone release affects Apple's quarterly revenue. The fact that this was an ANALyst writing a research memo to its investor clients seems to have escaped you.

Why is this a surprise? Well the article clearly covers that. Last year the iPhone 12 family was announced in October -- later than usual -- a COVID driven delay.

This is also important because a September launch would indicate that Apple has a handle on its supply chain despite widespread component and materials shortages that have been plaguing the semiconductor industry for about a year. A solid execution of the iPhone 13 family would demonstrate to Apple investors that Apple has adapted to the changing business environment, perhaps better than its competitors.

Are you an American with a retirement account or pension? If so, then you are almost certainly an indirect AAPL shareholder. Apple Inc.'s ability to execute their business strategy is important to your retirement.

This is also important to AppleInsider who worship at the Altar of the Almighty Pageview. They publish stuff like this because it's what keeps the lights on.
    edited August 2021 Pascalxxmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 14
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Most (not all) devices on 5G are still using LTE for uploads, with 5G used only for downloads. I wonder if the iPhone 13 will somehow help to improve on that situation. (Verizon is expanding the use of mmWave 5G for a 30% improvement in upload speed, but the range isn't good.)
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I’ve got the 12 pro max, it seems like the 13 won’t be that groundbreaking so I may wait for the 14 before upgrading.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations. They don't pop out of a clamshell, fully formed. 

Gruber wrote about over a decade ago:

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html

...that you're looking for product announcements to alleviate your boredom is entirely not their purpose. 

tmay
  • Reply 11 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    I’ve got the 12 pro max, it seems like the 13 won’t be that groundbreaking so I may wait for the 14 before upgrading.
    Thanks for letting the whole world know that you may not buy an iPhone this year. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    wood1208 said:
    Just like last y— oh wait.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Wow, those analysts at Wedbush must have some staggering sources of insider information to make the bold prediction that the iPhone 13 will be announced -- gasp! -- around the same time the new iPhone is announced every single year! Shock! Surprise! Geniuses!!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    chasm said:
    Wow, those analysts at Wedbush must have some staggering sources of insider information to make the bold prediction that the iPhone 13 will be announced -- gasp! -- around the same time the new iPhone is announced every single year! Shock! Surprise! Geniuses!!
    You must have missed reading the previous 2 posts which clarified the reasons for why it is worthy of a news item this year. Quoting them below.

mpantone said:
    wood1208 said:
    This is important because the timing of the iPhone release affects Apple's quarterly revenue. The fact that this was an ANALyst writing a research memo to its investor clients seems to have escaped you.

Why is this a surprise? Well the article clearly covers that. Last year the iPhone 12 family was announced in October -- later than usual -- a COVID driven delay.

This is also important because a September launch would indicate that Apple has a handle on its supply chain despite widespread component and materials shortages that have been plaguing the semiconductor industry for about a year. A solid execution of the iPhone 13 family would demonstrate to Apple investors that Apple has adapted to the changing business environment, perhaps better than its competitors.

Are you an American with a retirement account or pension? If so, then you are almost certainly an indirect AAPL shareholder. Apple Inc.'s ability to execute their business strategy is important to your retirement.

This is also important to AppleInsider who worship at the Altar of the Almighty Pageview. They publish stuff like this because it's what keeps the lights on.
    wood1208 said:
    Just like last y— oh wait.