123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 129
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:

you have to ask; why is Apple resisting Type C for the iPhone?
    I don't, the answer is obvious.  Made For iPhone $.
    Overly simplistic answer, and almost certainly not the primary reason for Apple not transitioning to Type C.

You might want to look at Apple deprecating the 3mm audio plug so that they can make bank off of wireless audio gear.

Apple will make a shit ton of money off of wireless charging solutions; why would then care anymore?

Seems more likely that Apple is going to deprecate wired charging, and wired connection, for the iPhone. 
    Same answer.  Made For iPhone applies to MagSafe licensing too.
    Duh.

So why would Apple want to transition to Type C, if they can make bank on wireless charging soon enough? All they have to do is improve Magsafe charging speed, and they'll be competitive with wired charging. That's when Lightning gets murdered, and wired charging, get axed along with it.

The EU doesn't even have a policy on wireless charging, although it will almost certainly be based on Qi when they do.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 122 of 129
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    MacPro said:
    Next, all cars sold in the EU must have the same wheels. I was somewhat against Brexit (as an ex-pat, so no longer affected either way) but this sort of thing doesn't make it seem so hard to understand the desire to be free of the occasional collective idiocy that is Brussels.
    What is idiotic about thinking that devices in a common category should standardise on a commodity cabling for charging purposes?  it means that I can have less cables in my household because they're useful for multiple devices.  And when I change my device, huzzah, all my old cables work too.

Are memories so short that they can't recall the cable hellhole of the 90s and early 00s where every OEM had a different charging connector, when dongles like these were actual products:

We have a new cabling problem coming up:
    How about if every car manufacturer used their own proprietary connector for charging their electric vehicles?  Where you could only charge your VW at a station that had VW connectors?

Standardization benefits both consumers and industry.
    Let's not use USB-C for that :smile: 

you might try it.   But I'm not sure how it work with a 220 line.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 123 of 129
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    MacPro said:
    Next, all cars sold in the EU must have the same wheels. I was somewhat against Brexit (as an ex-pat, so no longer affected either way) but this sort of thing doesn't make it seem so hard to understand the desire to be free of the occasional collective idiocy that is Brussels.
    What is idiotic about thinking that devices in a common category should standardise on a commodity cabling for charging purposes?  it means that I can have less cables in my household because they're useful for multiple devices.  And when I change my device, huzzah, all my old cables work too.

Are memories so short that they can't recall the cable hellhole of the 90s and early 00s where every OEM had a different charging connector, when dongles like these were actual products:

We have a new cabling problem coming up:
    How about if every car manufacturer used their own proprietary connector for charging their electric vehicles?  Where you could only charge your VW at a station that had VW connectors?

Standardization benefits both consumers and industry.
    Let's not use USB-C for that :smile: 
    More trolling?
    It's a joke dude.
  • Reply 124 of 129
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:

Overly simplistic answer, and almost certainly not the primary reason for Apple not transitioning to Type C.

You might want to look at Apple deprecating the 3mm audio plug so that they can make bank off of wireless audio gear.

Apple will make a shit ton of money off of wireless charging solutions; why would then care anymore?

Seems more likely that Apple is going to deprecate wired charging, and wired connection, for the iPhone. 
    Duh.

So why would Apple want to transition to Type C, if they can make bank on wireless charging soon enough? All they have to do is improve Magsafe charging speed, and they'll be competitive with wired charging. That's when Lightning gets murdered, and wired charging, get axed along with it.

The EU doesn't even have a policy on wireless charging, although it will almost certainly be based on Qi when they do.
    Of course the EU has a policy on wireless charging. All devices that use it have a certificate of conformity.

As I said further up.

Wireless charging is basically 'wired' charging. It just doesn't have a physical connector to the device.

There is still a charger and a cable. 
  • Reply 125 of 129
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:

Duh.

Of course the EU has a policy on wireless charging. All devices that use it have a certificate of conformity.

As I said further up.

Wireless charging is basically 'wired' charging. It just doesn't have a physical connector to the device.

So you agree with me then.

Apple could sell an iPhone without a connector at all, and meet the spec with a Type C EPS / Type C Magsafe connector. Since the EU has no wireless standard yet, Apple's iPhone being Qi compliant, would likely help drive the future standard to Qi.

That's innovation that EU is looking for.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 126 of 129
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    crowley said:
    tmay said:

Duh.

As I said further up.

So you agree with me then.

Apple could sell an iPhone without a connector, and meet the spec with with a Type C EPS Type C Magsafe connector. But that doesn't imply that the EU has a wireless charging standard, does it.
    You said you had read the impact assessment.

Remind me what the options under consideration are.

I can't agree with you because you haven't read what is on the table or didn't understand it.

I will repeat: wireless charging for most common use cases requires both a charger and a cable.

The only 'wireless' part is the connection to the physical phone: a convenience factor.

You still have a cable. You still have a charger. And you still have connectors.

Eventually, but not now, wireless laser charging (for example) of devices simultaneously may be of help. Just as I said earlier on but Apple will very probably not be first to deploy that kind of solution. 
  • Reply 127 of 129
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    avon b7 said:

:smiley: 

That's really tickled me.
  • Reply 128 of 129
    crowley said:
    avon b7 said:

:smiley: 

That's really tickled me.
    LOL.

I swear I've not been reading David Icke or eating magic mushrooms!

But read like that I laughed out loud myself!