Thanks Julian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    but the resolution...

• Reply 2 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member

• Reply 3 of 16
    yes I know!! - very funny! I know I always go on about resolution...in fact without kickstarting a thraed on resolution, but I saw the 17inch in real life and thought the screen was very unsharp - I had to check the store had it set to milliosn of colors and the correct res in monitors...very poor screen - in fact I would say the 17inch screen is teh worse of all apples laptops in its res and sharpness....

SURE SURE I know you are gonna think I am crazy with a statement liek that - but get beyond the look fo the machine and the amazing design and wow factor of the 17ich screen - once beyond all that you will realise that the 17 screen is not a good as the Ti15 inch....

Anyway - about that fan noise - are they noisey????
  • Reply 4 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Oh my gosh, that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen here! The expression on the horse's face is classic!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Do you have a funny picture ready to respond to every type of thread?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    I haven't heard the fan on mine turn on once. However, I do occasionally hear the "sizzle" and sometimes the harddrive. Of course, if the fan actually came on I probably wouldn't hear either of those two.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    can u do a review of the 20" cinema display?

i want that for comparison to ur tibook

seriously
  • Reply 8 of 16
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

I do occasionally hear the "sizzle"

Sizzle? Is there a burger-bar in there or something?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

Do you have a funny picture ready to respond to every type of thread?

No.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    doxxdoxx Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cycle

can u do a review of the 20" cinema display?

i want that for comparison to ur tibook

seriously

well I use a 20" cinema at work and it is great. It is much brighter than the old 23" for example and it beats the screen of my 15" PB too...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by doxx

well I use a 20" cinema at work and it is great. It is much brighter than the old 23" for example and it beats the screen of my 15" PB too...

thx!

...but i wanted a review by crittykitty

he says the 17"powerbook is "teh worst"

..iam scared.......IAM SCARED!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    the 17" PB uses hte exact same LCD as the 17" iMac. if you liked that you'll like the TiBook.

personally i completely disagree with that assesment of the LCD on the 17" PB.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I'm sitting here in front of my 17" PowerBook and must say the screen is amazing. I have a very nice Sony Wega TV, and I think watching DVDs on my PowerBook is much clearer. I also find the screen perfect for everything I do.

I have my 21" Apple Cinema Display (CRT) connected to my laptop and use both screens. My only complaint is that the powerbook's resolution isn't 1600x1000. I'm spoiled by running my CRT at 1600x1200 and don't want to use less. Horizontally the PowerBook screen is only about 1" narrower than the CRT, so I think it could run 1600 pixels wide without items on the screen looking tiny.

This is a very minor complaint. Overall I believe Lapzilla is the finest Apple product I've ever owned, and I've owned (own) alot!

Now, if I can just convince my 3 year old son that it isn't his. He's already asking for a 12" PowerBook for Christmas. i'm doomed.

TBoxman
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by TBoxman

Now, if I can just convince my 3 year old son that it isn't his. He's already asking for a 12" PowerBook for Christmas. i'm doomed.

TBoxman

geez!! ^_^ thats soo cool...give him..or an ibook!

what a lucky kid!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Sorry, forgot to mention the fan noise.

Or lack thereof. My PowerBook seems to run warm at best. Even after hours of continual use it never seems hot. I think heat dissipation is very good on this unit and if you use it in a cool environment it will not heat up.

When the fan does turn on, you have to strain to hear it. Almost everything else in the office is much louder than this fan. In fact, I consider Lapzilla silent. Most stealth like.

If you are at all considering this laptop for purchase I would think screen resolution and fan noice are non issues. To me, the only deciding factor would be the size. Do you mind toting around a 17" laptop, or would you rather be carrying a 15". If you want 15", I would suggest waiting on the revised aluminum 15" PowerBook.

And while we are on that subject, I don't believe the next 15" PowerBook will have the rumored 970 processor in it. I think it will ship with a month's time with a G4 and have most features of the 17" PowerBook except the keyboard lighting and dual fans. That's just a guess because of the lack of room in the 15".
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by cycle

geez!! ^_^ thats soo cool...give him..or an ibook!

what a lucky kid!

He already has a G4 with a 17" Screen. What does a child need a laptop for? They are too easily broken or dropped. Actually, he will probably get the 970 when it comes out. Since I have my laptop, the family gets the tower (which I use to render on when they are asleep).

I must say, after telling him only once not to touch the screen on the laptop, he has been very careful when he opens it. He loves to watch movies in bed with it.

When he was 2 1/2 the Apple Store opened up here in Houston. We went to the grand opening, and he played for a long time in the kids area, and we ended up coming home with some software for him. Lots of adults would look down and be amazed at this small child playing away on the eMacs. He has been on the computer since he could sit in my lap.

In fact, he now knows that if he wants to use the compter he has to log me out, and log in as himselft. It's hilarious to hear him say "Apple Macintosh Computer". I think it would make a great commercial.

Gotta quit rambling as the proud father. BTW, I'm the lucky one.

TBoxman