Outdated Apple CSAM detection algorithm harvested from iOS 14.3 [u]

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2021
A user on Reddit says they have discovered a version of Apple's NeuralHash algorithm used in CSAM detection in iOS 14.3, and Apple says that the version that was extracted is not current, and won't be used.

CSAM detection algorithm may have been discovered in iOS 14.3
CSAM detection algorithm may have been discovered in iOS 14.3

The Reddit user, u/AsuharietYgvar, says the NerualHash code was found buried in iOS 14.3. The user says that they've reverse-engineered the code and rebuilt a working model in Python that can be tested by passing it images.

The algorithm was found among hidden APIs, and the container for NeuralHash was called MobileNetV3. Those interested in viewing the code can find in a GitHub repository.

The Reddit user claims this must be the correct algorithm for two reasons. First, the model files have the same prefix found in Apple's documentation, and second, verifiable portions of the code work the same as Apple's description of NeuralHash.

It appears that the discovered code will not be fooled by compression or image resizing but will not detect crops or rotations.

Using this working Python script, GitHub users have begun examining how the algorithm works and if it can be abused. For example, one user, dxoigmn, found that if you knew the resulting hash found in the CSAM database, one could create a fake image that produced the same hash.

If true, someone could make fake images that resembled anything but produced a desired CSAM hash match. Theoretically, a nefarious user could then send these images to Apple users to attempt to trigger the algorithm.

Despite these discoveries, all of the information provided by this version of NerualHash may not represent the final build. Apple has been building the CSAM detection algorithm for years, so it is safe to assume some version of the code exists for testing.

If what u/AsuharietYgvar has discovered is truly some version of the CSAM detection algorithm, it likely isn't the final version. For instance, this version struggles with crops and rotations, which Apple specifically said its algorithm would account for.

Theoretical attack vector, at best

If the attack vector suggested by dxoigmn is possible, simply sending a user an image generated by it has several fail-safes to prevent a user from getting an iCloud account disabled, and reported to law enforcement. There are numerous ways to get images on a person's device, like email, AirDrop, or iMessage, but the user has to manually add photos to the photo library. There isn't a direct attack vector that doesn't require the physical device, or the user's iCloud credentials to inject images directly into the Photos app.

Apple also has a human review process in place. The attack images aren't human-parseable as anything but a bit-field, and there is clearly no CSAM involved in the fabricated file.

Not the final version

The Reddit user claims they discovered the code but are not an ML expert. The GitHub repository with the Python script is available for public examination for now.

No one has discovered the existence of the CSAM database or matching algorithm in iOS 15 betas yet. Once it appears, it is reasonably possible that some crafty user will be able to extract the algorithm for testing and comparison.

For now, users can poke around this potential version of NerualHash and attempt to find any potential issues. However, the work may prove to be fruitless since this is only a part of the complex process used for CSAM detection, and doesn't account for the voucher system or what occurs server-side.

Apple hasn't provided an exact release timeline for the CSAM detection feature. For now, it is expected to launch in a point release after the new operating systems debut in the fall.

Update: Apple in a statement to Motherboard said the version of NeuralHash discovered in iOS 14.3 is not the final version set for release with iOS 15.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Another “exploit” that’s possible (only because there’s a non-zero chance it could happen) but in the real world would never happen.

As mentioned, users have to save the photo. Not just one photo, but 30 photos. You think you’re going to convince someone to save 30 photos they received from a random person? I get pictures in iMessage all the time from friends/family. I rarely save them as once I’ve seen it (often it’s a joke or meme) I simply delete it. Or I’ll leave it in iMessage if I ever need to see it again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The fact anyone can reverse engineer this is scary.
    chemengin1xyzzy-xxxbloggerblogelijahg
  • Reply 3 of 36
    pmhpmh Posts: 18member
    Beats said:
    Concern troll much?
    The fact that anyone can reverse engineer this is expected -- for anyone with any knowledge of software development.
    darkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    There are numerous ways to get images on a person's device, like email, AirDrop, or iMessage, but the user has to manually add photos to the photo library.
    Not true. Some messaging apps put images in Photos directly, no manual step required.
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahgxyzzy-xxxIreneWdarkvader
  • Reply 5 of 36
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    Beats said:
    Anyone with the right (fairly advanced) skills can reverse engineer anything, given time and resources. 
    elijahgdarkvader
  • Reply 6 of 36
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Another “exploit” that’s possible (only because there’s a non-zero chance it could happen) but in the real world would never happen.

As mentioned, users have to save the photo. Not just one photo, but 30 photos. You think you’re going to convince someone to save 30 photos they received from a random person? I get pictures in iMessage all the time from friends/family. I rarely save them as once I’ve seen it (often it’s a joke or meme) I simply delete it. Or I’ll leave it in iMessage if I ever need to see it again.
    Photos in iMessage are saved to iCloud even if they are not manually added to Photos. How do you think they end up on all your devices?
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguyelijahgbloggerblogIreneWdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Beats said:
    Some anonymous reddit user claims to have found code in an old version of iOS.  No one has "reverse engineered" anything.  
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    >As mentioned, users have to save the photo. Not just one photo, but 30 photos. You think you’re going to convince someone to save 30 photos they received from a random person?

LOL this is radically FALSE , you don't have to convince anyone , for example if you've whatsapp there's an option to save photos on device(I have it since day 1) , so if someone sends you 30 photos, not necessarily SEX related but simply CSAM collisions (there's code available to generate those) , they get automatically synch-ed to iCloud , scanned and the result will trigger a review by the Apple employee that plays police . If some of these photos watched lowres resembles sex related stuff  you'll have police knocking at your door and calling you a pedophile. This is not a joke

muthuk_vanalingamelijahgxyzzy-xxx
  • Reply 9 of 36
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    y2an said:
    There are numerous ways to get images on a person's device, like email, AirDrop, or iMessage, but the user has to manually add photos to the photo library.
    Not true. Some messaging apps put images in Photos directly, no manual step required.
    That's a setting you, the user, can control.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 36
    y2an said:
    Beats said:
    Anyone with the right (fairly advanced) skills can reverse engineer anything, given time and resources. 
    Right. And the "anyone" you need to pay special attention to in this situation is the one who purports to be your benevolently patriarchal Uncle. And Uncle, in all his infinite wisdom, has continually asserted his influence on those you trust to keep your data, your information, your *life* yours — and in this case, the entity you have decided to trust, well that's Apple. 

Apple is the modern-day version of your locked bureau. And that locked bureau was clearly and unequivocally OFF LIMITS from Uncle.

When this provision was affirmed, it didn't matter if you had nothing to hide. You had the right to that locked bureau.

It didn't matter if you had the severed head of an innocent child in that bureau, either. You had an indisputable right to privacy from a prying Uncle's eyes except in VERY special circumstances.

It would have been preposterous if a bureau manufacturer had built a skeleton key and EULA for the piece of furniture which allowed them to inspect the contents of your bureau — as a neutral third party, of course — anytime they chose. It would have been even more unthinkable had the manufacturer's policy included a provision which allowed them to report the contents of your private papers and effects to Uncle should they deem them illicit. 

Now, how much do we need to worry about Uncle, and his wily ways of creeping on our privacy and autonomy? 

Well, seeing as how Uncle incarcerates more of its own fam, and spies on, invades the homes of, and bombs more innocent humans than any other patriarchal entity in the entire human race, I'd say it's a serious point of concern. And any person here or elsewhere dismissing this backdoor attempt to peek into your bureau as "not that big of a concern" has forgotten or been forever blind to the real risk this poses — and the consequences it brings — to civilized society. 
    edited August 2021 muthuk_vanalingammobirdelijahgxyzzy-xxxBeatsmike54mrstepdarkvader
  • Reply 11 of 36
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    flydog said:
    Beats said:
    Some anonymous reddit user claims to have found code in an old version of iOS.  No one has "reverse engineered" anything.  
    That’s false. It was reverse engineered into Python. That’s what is available in the GitHub repository. 
    elijahgIreneWBeatsdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Having images on your phone, be they real or engineered false matches, is not the issue. Apple says that the algorithm will only be invoked when you try to upload the image to iCloud. I'm guessing you might have twigged what's happening before you try that.

Even if you did upload multiple false matches (and that means you're saving random images that are really not very likely to be useful) the human moderator that then inspects them will soon realise that they are only false positives.

If you trust Apple to describe how this mechanism works then it's only transfers to iCloud that are inspected and the hashes on your phone are NOT images, just mathematical fingerprints. If you don't trust Apple then just consider all the other stuff on your phone: maybe it's time to try Android?
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Mass flooding the system with recognized hashes produced from manipulated images of Apple employees would be very funny 😆
    elijahgdarkvader
  • Reply 14 of 36
    This is the kind of stuff I alluded to in a previous comment: 

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3327620/#Comment_3327620

People will try to exploit this.  It would be better if it wasn’t there at all. The hashes SHOULD be unique, but due to the nature of hashes (it’s an algorithm), there can be collisions.  You may sooner win the lottery than encounter one by chance… but what if it wasn’t by chance? It was only a matter of time before someone created an image or images that match hashes in CSAM and started propagating. Now Apple may have a human review step after several flags, but what happens if they get flooded with requests because a series of images gets propagated?  Humans can only work so fast. But this human review implies images may be sent to people at Apple, which would necessarily circumvent the encryption that prevents anyone but the intended parties to see the images.

I also find it unfortunate that this has been in since ios14.3, but also hope apple doesn’t enable it.  I have iCloud photos turned off and I will not be upgrading to 15.  The “smart” criminals will also do the same thing.  All this does is root out the dumb ones.  The “smarter” ones will turn it off avoid it, but the smartest ones will find/use other channels now.
    xyzzy-xxx
  • Reply 15 of 36
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    focher said:
    flydog said:
    Beats said:
    That’s false. It was reverse engineered into Python. That’s what is available in the GitHub repository. 
    That seems a bit weird to me: reverse engineering machine code into Python.  I admit that I'm not aware of all the reverse engineering technologies out there, but it seems like it would be easier to reverse engineer machine code into a language which is lower level (like C) than a scripting language like Python.  This is typically what interactive disassemblers would do.  But I guess if they did it by hand, they could convert it to whatever language they like.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36
    This is the kind of stuff I alluded to in a previous comment: 

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3327620/#Comment_3327620

People will try to exploit this.  It would be better if it wasn’t there at all. The hashes SHOULD be unique, but due to the nature of hashes (it’s an algorithm), there can be collisions.  You may sooner win the lottery than encounter one by chance… but what if it wasn’t by chance? It was only a matter of time before someone created an image or images that match hashes in CSAM and started propagating. Now Apple may have a human review step after several flags, but what happens if they get flooded with requests because a series of images gets propagated?  Humans can only work so fast. But this human review implies images may be sent to people at Apple, which would necessarily circumvent the encryption that prevents anyone but the intended parties to see the images.

I also find it unfortunate that this has been in since ios14.3, but also hope apple doesn’t enable it.  I have iCloud photos turned off and I will not be upgrading to 15.  The “smart” criminals will also do the same thing.  All this does is root out the dumb ones.  The “smarter” ones will turn it off avoid it, but the smartest ones will find/use other channels now.
    Totally agree, this bull***t should never have made it into a release. If Apple is not stopped, I think there will be at least some funny stories (beside from 5% losses for Apple from iCloud accounts and people abandoning Apple) in the future (and probably zero positive effects, since all criminals are warned).
    elijahgmobirdmrstep
  • Reply 17 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    flydog said:

Photos in iMessage are saved to iCloud even if they are not manually added to Photos. How do you think they end up on all your devices?
    They’re synced in iCloud Messages, not saved to iCloud Photos Library. Those are not the same thing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    F Apple for doing this… Mass surveillance code right in the heart of their platform….
    it can be abused and it will be abused... 
    This is just step one!!!

Beatselijahgmrstep
  • Reply 19 of 36
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    All I want to know is how easy it would be for Apple to slip in a hash that directs to another database altogether. Say, offical pics of political dissidents, people guilty of publicly stating thoughtcrime, etc.
    As the CSAM hash has to be updated regularly, I would say pretty easy.
    have a picture of Reagan, you end up on a list.
    elijahgmrstep
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    entropys said:
    All I want to know is how easy it would be for Apple to slip in a hash that directs to another database altogether.
    Turns out, not easy. As Apple described, the system is designed specifically around CSAM detection. You'd need 30 pictures of Reagan, to cite your example. This could never detect a single photo, its for finding collections.

And when you think about it, what individual would have a collection of photos that could be matched to a database? CSAM is something people collect, terrorist images? Pictures of political figures? Not so much.

Would be too narrow a vector for anyone to target. All that said, that't not mentioning the fact that images can only exist in the database once they are added by two independent systems from two different governing countries.