Apple Card is 'bright spot' in credit cards, says J.D. Power rankings

Posted:
in iOS
Goldman Sachs and Apple's Apple Card is number 1 in a J.D. Power ranking of what is described as the midsized credit card market.

Apple Card was launched in 2019
Apple Card was launched in 2019

In a year in which J. D. Power says most credit cards "missed the mark" in supporting users during the coronavirus pandemic, it also says that Apple Card was a "bright spot." In a survey conducted between September 2020 and June 2021, credit cards from "mid-sized issuers" were assigned an overall score.

The highest score any card could get was 1,000. Apple Card beat all others to be marked at 864. The collaboration between Apple and Goldman Sachs ranked highest across all categories, from rewards, terms, and benefits.

"It is exciting to be recognized with this first J.D. Power win, just two years after introducing Apple Card in 2019 and the first time being included in this study," said Apple vice president of Apple Pay, Jennifer Bailey, in a statement.

"We designed Apple Card to help our customers lead healthier financial lives, so it's incredibly meaningful to see that our customers are valuing this," she continued. "Being recognized as the leader in this category this year is an honor."

"Nothing energizes us more than the affirmation that we are providing a simple, transparent product that delivers value and that customers love," said Harit Talwar, Goldman Sachs's chairman of Consumer Business in the same statement.

"Creating this experience with Apple has been incredibly rewarding, and we are committed to continuing to deliver best-in-class service to our customers," said Harit Talwar, Goldman Sachs's chairman of Consumer Business, in the same statement.

Apple's Bailey also referred to future expansion plans for Apple Card, although for the moment it remains solely available in the US.

"[We] look forward to continuing to deliver this product, service, and support with our award-winning issuer as Apple Card expands to more and more customers across the US," she said.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    My only complaint with the card is that Goldman Sachs won’t take electronic payments from my bank’s bill paying service. So the bank mails a physical check and that takes about a business week before it gets there and is posted.

Even that was a hassle, prying an address out of Goldman Sachs customer service but I finally got it.

Goldman Sachs Bank USA, Salt Lake City Branch Lockbox 6112 P.O. Box 7247 Philadelphia, PA 19170-6112
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    felix01 said:
    My only complaint with the card is that Goldman Sachs won’t take electronic payments from my bank’s bill paying service. So the bank mails a physical check and that takes about a business week before it gets there and is posted.

Even that was a hassle, prying an address out of Goldman Sachs customer service but I finally got it.

Goldman Sachs Bank USA, Salt Lake City Branch Lockbox 6112 P.O. Box 7247 Philadelphia, PA 19170-6112

Is there a reason you decided not to pay through the Wallet app?
    ArchStantonStrangeDayssteven n.watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    felix01 said:

What is the issue paying via the wallet app? It's an ACH debit from the account you designate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    My only issue with Apple Card is I’ve been having problems using it at various merchant NFC POS terminals. “Card not accepted” errors. I try another card stored in Apple Pay and it works no problem. Happened several times all over last week….from a gas station to local merchants running Verifone POSTs. I’ve contacted Apple/GS and they just say it’s the merchant, but the merchants have no idea why it’s happening. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    My only issue with Apple Card is I’ve been having problems using it at various merchant NFC POS terminals. “Card not accepted” errors. I try another card stored in Apple Pay and it works no problem. Happened several times all over last week….from a gas station to local merchants running Verifone POSTs. I’ve contacted Apple/GS and they just say it’s the merchant, but the merchants have no idea why it’s happening. 
    Wacky stuff like that happens. Had a similar, but not identical, problem recently everywhere I tried my AMEX Green in Colombia. Any NFC transactions, either via Apple Pay or card tap, rejected. Plug in chip transactions, accepted. Any of my other cards. all NFC transactions were accepted.

My Spanish wasn't good enough to troubleshoot with the merchants, and AMEX's customer service response was  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I would use it more if they awarded more points for eating out.  Like "3" which other cards do.
    As I have read elsewhere, if they stop using the magnetic stripe, that would be a major reason for not using it.   Many merchants do use mag stripe readers to do their thing.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    My Spanish wasn't good enough to troubleshoot with the merchants, and AMEX's customer service response was  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    Lol yeah that was Apple’s too. In fact at first they say “I’m not showing any declined authorizations” and I have to make clear the difference between card declined and card not accepted. In the end I just asked them to log it as an issue with the card and maybe if it happens enough somebody will figure it out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I would use it more if they awarded more points for eating out.  Like "3" which other cards do.
    As I have read elsewhere, if they stop using the magnetic stripe, that would be a major reason for not using it.   Many merchants do use mag stripe readers to do their thing.
    I don’t expect to see that soon - in my city (known for restaurants) most of them still use mag swipes rather than NFC. Even operators using wireless Toast terminals have ones lacking the NFC capability. It’s annoying. AC doesn’t offer many incentives for mag swipes, guessing because their security sauce is all about the token system.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra