Thinner iPad, iPad mini predicted before end of 2021

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2021
Apple's base iPad is expected to see a redesign with a thinner enclosure and a new processor for the fall, while a new iPad mini is again said to get a more iPad Pro-like redesign.

Apple's base iPad
Apple's base iPad

A new report claims that Apple is planning to revamp both its iPad and iPad mini models before the end of 2021. Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman says that both models will see chassis changes, and while he has no more detailed release date, believes the iPad will be aimed at students.

"You can also expect a revamped iPad Mini, with a larger display and slimmer bezels," he says in a Bloomberg video roundup of Apple devices, "as well as a new ninth generation iPad geared towards students with a thinner form factor, and a faster processor."

Overall the iPad range has been a strong seller for Apple, but it's believed that most sales are from the higher-end iPad Air, and iPad Pro models. The capable, but more economic, regular iPad is thought to have languished, so a refresh could well be due.

It has previously been predicted that Apple's iPad mini will both shrink the bezels around the display, and drop the traditional Home button.

Gurman's roundup of expected Apple releases before the end of the year, also claimed that the "iPhone 13" will feature a smaller notch.

"There's also going to be new Apple Watches," he said. "These will be redesigned watches with flatter displays and faster processors."

"And lastly, what I think a lot of people including myself, are very much looking forward to are the first high end MacBook Pro updates in several years," he concluded.

Separately, supply chain sources have reported that mass production of the new 14-inch MacBook Pro, and 16-inch MacBook Pro, has begun.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    It’s hard to imagine how the iPad Mini can get any thinner. 
    harry wild
  • Reply 2 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    fred1 said:
    Did you read the article? The Mini isn’t getting thinner, the regular iPad is. 
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I’d rather have a mini with longer battery life and a black and white mode for reading !
    harry wildpscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mtanika said:
    I’d rather have a mini with longer battery life and a black and white mode for reading !
    I believe dark mode can accomplish that.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 16
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    A bezel-less iPad mini similar in design to the iPad Pro is my holy grail. Heck, I may even buy two or three of the suckers.
    harry wildpatchythepirateurashid
  • Reply 6 of 16
    The iPad Mini is already very thin. Any thinner and the battery will not be replaceable and structured frame might bend!  I rather have a thicker iPad Mini that has a bigger battery inside.  A mini LED would be welcome as well as a M1 and 8GB RAM inside.  I know it will never happen! since the iPad Mini is the black sheep of the Apple iPads.
    edited August 2021 mtanikawilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    hmlongco said:
    A bezel-less iPad mini similar in design to the iPad Pro is my holy grail. Heck, I may even buy two or three of the suckers.
    The Star Trek life.  B)

I'm contemplating both an iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPad mini myself.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Always the same reference Gurman…come on William do you not have more references than this guy?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 16
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    mtanika said:
    Prefer black on white … like books
  • Reply 10 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Japhey said:
    fred1 said:
    Did you read the title of the article? 

• Reply 11 of 16
    fred1 said:
    Japhey said:
    fred1 said:

I did, and the title was misleading. Therefore, I actually read the article itself, which mentioned 2 times that the iPad was getting a thinner design, and 3 times that the Mini was getting the Pro-style design. 3 times it was brought up without even once saying that the Mini is going to be thinner. 
    edited August 2021 StrangeDayspscooter63roundaboutnow
  • Reply 12 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Some speculation here, but I think the iPad mini, if it gets flat sided industrial design, will likely have a $500 starting price. With a new industrial design and a larger display, it's going to move up a price tier from $400 to $500. It isn't going to be cheap. If it has the Pencil induction charger on the side (volume buttons on the top may indicate this) and magnetically latching cases, yet more reason for a move up in price tier.

• Reply 13 of 16
    tht said:
    Some speculation here, but I think the iPad mini, if it gets flat sided industrial design, will likely have a $500 starting price. With a new industrial design and a larger display, it's going to move up a price tier from $400 to $500. It isn't going to be cheap. If it has the Pencil induction charger on the side (volume buttons on the top may indicate this) and magnetically latching cases, yet more reason for a move up in price tier.

I’ve been thinking the same thing lately. I believe the Air 4 had a similar price bump last year over the 3. And, I like your idea of getting both a Mini and a Pro 12.9. If this new Mini is as great as I think it will be, I’ll be giving serious thought to trading in my Air to do the same. I’ve been hoping for a Pro-style Mini for many years, and only got the Air 4 last year because I couldn’t wait for it any longer. 
    urashid
  • Reply 14 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    mtanika said:
    mtanika said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    mtanika said:
    Prefer black on white … like books

You mean the e-ink display? It will not happen. e-ink is nice but it doesn't have the good performance that Apple expects. Its too slow and its too limited in color. 

The closest I've come across is remarkable 2 and I believe AppleInsider did a review of it. It can be a good addition. 

https://remarkable.com/store/remarkable-2 ;

• Reply 15 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    mtanika said:
    Reader mode in Safari, and Books & Kindle apps. 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    fred1 said:
    Japhey said:
    fred1 said:

I think they meant it as “thinner iPad” and “a new iPad mini” both before EOY, not as in both of them thinner. Could be written more clearly 
    pscooter63