Two September Apple events planned, claims supply chain

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
Sources within Apple's supply chain believe that the "iPhone 13" will debut in one event, and a slew of other products will arrive later in the month at an unprecedented second September full presentation.

Friday's paywalled report from DigiTimes focuses on shipping volumes for the entry-level iPad. However, it also cites supply chain sources claiming that there will be two September Apple Events for product debuts.

The September dual-event timetable put forth by DigiTimes seems unlikely. While Apple doesn't have to give two weeks notice before events anymore, given the remote nature, it has never held a Tuesday event the day after the Labor Day US holiday.

A more probable day for an event in September is September 14, given its proclivities for Tuesday events. That would leave two more weeks in September to have another event, while at the same time it is stuffing the retail and fulfillment chains with product.

Apple has, on occasion, released product by press release within a few weeks after an event. The report is clear about it being a "conference," however.

Furthermore, international shipping in every regard is snarled and expensive because of COVID fallout. While Apple has the advantage of not being particularly bothered by that cost, given the revenue it generates, it can still save millions of dollars by spreading its product shipments out, if not the actual releases.

Given history, should Apple want a second near-end-of-year event, it is more likely to happen in October or early November.

Apple has a lot rumored for imminent release. Rumors have swirled for all of 2021 regarding new AirPods, new AirPods Pro, a refreshed low-end iPad, a new iPad mini, a 14-inch MacBook Pro, a 16-inch MacBook Pro, the Apple Watch Series 7, and of course the "iPhone 13" family.

Not expected in the fall is a new Mac Pro which is predicted for 2022, or a new iPad Pro which was just refreshed.

Digitimes has a good track record reporting about Apple's supply chain, but has a notably poorer one as it pertains to Apple's plans. Friday's report is more of the latter than the former.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Not "seems unlikely", it is unlikely. Just not going to happen.

The September event is just 1 day, yes, but it's really a rolling 2 to 3 week event for Apple. They have a media event to announce the iPhones and whatever other product that is ready for that day. Then, the new iOS update is released later in the week. A week after, preordering starts and press reviews come out. Then, another week after, the phones start showing up at retail and people's door. Whatever other product that is announced at the iPhone event also has its own rolling media cycle as well.

There is a zero reason to have another media event for another set of products during this time frame, and any media event would be negative during this time frame. They'll just wait for early to mid October to do it, after the iPhone media blitz slows down.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Ugh. Let me preorder my watch and iPhone today. Stop with all these rumors!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I'd rather have a larger screen iMac in the pipeline. 27"? 30"? M1+? My late 2013 continues to be quite the workhorse, but come September it will be two iterations of macOS behind.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cpenzonecpenzone Posts: 114member
    No. Apple is not going to have two events in September.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member
    I'd rather have a larger screen iMac in the pipeline. 27"? 30"? M1+? My late 2013 continues to be quite the workhorse, but come September it will be two iterations of macOS behind.
    It won’t have nearly the same high end specs as the 32” 6K XDR but I’ll be very surprised if the 27” iMac replacement with ASi isn’t 32” with the same resolution and some of the improvements as in the XDR.

My reasons: 
    The 21” 4K moving to 24” 4.5K and the existence of the 32” 6K, both setting a “we’re now making bigger displays than before” precedent, plus the inclusion of some of the XDR tech in even the high end iPad Pro. 

I can’t see it going any other way. 

Still, I agree with the article and the speculation that the ASi MBP’s are coming very soon, and the inference that they will be long before they get to the high end iMac and then Mac Pro. Those two will be the last two, and not till next year. 
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    This seems like plant by Apple to fish out who is leaking plans. 
    watto_cobra