Name three good TV programs on today.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Lots of people keep nominating Seinfeld...while it is good, it has been out of production a number of years now. Wouldn't it be more interesting to hear what's being made NOW that you approve of...and if the answer is honestly "nothing", that will be interesting too.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Don't you people watch Iron Chef?

Oh, and Fellowship, even my Brit flatmates agree that Are You Being Served is pure, unadulterated crap.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    The fact that noone's mentioned Friends strengthens my suspicion that the show has come a long way, baby! A looooong way downhill, anyway. They are (for the gazillionth time) rerunning the show from the original years, and it is just striking how pleasantly funny and unique the show used to be, as opposed to the cheap soap-like storyboard of one in a dozen they have stumbled onto now.

Anyway, I tend not to watch too much TV shows myself (I prefer a movie now and then), but if I do (and it happens to be something imported from Ameriland), I don't mind watching the somewhat brushed-up sitcom, a-la Frasier, Spin City. I should also mention The Simpsons, of course (though they have been on repeat so much over here - we get two shows every day - that most of it has lost its fresh) and Futurama (the little I have managed to see of it).

The real good stuff (stuff I'd tape) is probably something like the British sitcom "Smack the Pony". I think that is the BEST comedy show made, probably, since Monty Python's Flying Circus. A little while back, maybe, but I did enjoy 'Kids in the Hall' pretty much.

As you might be able to tell, I like humor, especially of the absurd persuasion. If anybody knows him, my favorite comedian-humormonger must be Kamagurka (a Belgian wonderman, doing TV, radio, cartoons, painting, music, ...). The guy is so absurd that he completes the full cycle, extreme deadly funny bordering on dullness itself. But, that must be another topic.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    m1911a1m1911a1 Posts: 24member
    Mail Call

King of the Hill

Enterprise

Fox News
  • Reply 25 of 52
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Drama:

ER (last week's episode was the best one I've seen in 2 years of watching (the woman makes me do it). Paul Crane was *hilarious*)

NYPD Blue (Sipowicz smack downs and his hotty chic nekkid in the shower!)

CSI (the original - just good stuff. Well put together compared to all the other crime stopper shows)

Comedy:

Anything in the "reality" genre. Pathetic, but funny.

...and the greatest of all televised events...

THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS.

That OS X Addict, he's a smart fellow....

8)
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

Sportscenter,

Sportscenter,

and.......

Sportscenter

Sportscenter has gone to shit. The highlights are still the same although there are somewhat fewer these days. But the hosts all think that they are ****ing comedians. Way too much schtick. I'll take my athletics with a little less flava please, thank you.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Farscape - (best sci-fi)

The West Wing - (best writing)

Hockey Night in Canada - (best sport)

interesting that nobody mentioned that war show on all the other channels

(although the "Iraqi Information Minister Comedy Hour" gets some votes)
  • Reply 28 of 52
    life with bonnie (abc)

michael palin's travels - sahara (bravo)

dinner for five (jon favreau's talk show) - independent film channel
  • Reply 29 of 52
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

They are (for the gazillionth time) rerunning *Friends* from the original years, and it is just striking how pleasantly funny and unique the show used to be, as opposed to the cheap soap-like storyboard of one in a dozen they have stumbled onto now.

I was watching the 1st Season DVDs the other day at a friend's house, and I thought the same thing. It was REALLY funny! They've lost a lot since then.

My votes:

COMEDY --

Scrubs: Always clever, and a good final message.

Everybody Loves Raymond: True to life.

Who's Line...: Makes me exceed my weekly laugh quota.

DRAMA --

Ed: Intelligent, funny, heartfelt, and true-to-life.

The West Wing: Intelligent and well-written, and lets me make fun of left-wing Democrats.

Without a Trace: I watch it a lot and enjoy it.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Sportscenter has gone to shit. The highlights are still the same although there are somewhat fewer these days. But the hosts all think that they are ****ing comedians. Way too much schtick. I'll take my athletics with a little less flava please, thank you.

...because sports is just such serious thing!
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

...and the greatest of all televised events...

THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS.

That OS X Addict, he's a smart fellow....

8)

Why thanks Moogs. Hockey Night in Canada is simply the best and NHL playoff hockey is like religion up here especially when you got Canadian teams playing. Go Leafs Go!!!! Go Sens Go!!!!! Go Oilers Go!!!!! Go Canucks Go!!!!! Up here we cheer for all the Canadian teams because we want at least one to win Lord Stanley's Cup.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Comedy:

1) Simpsons

2) Malcom in the Middle

3) 3rd Rock

Drama-ish:

1) Enterprise

2) Firefly

3) Outer Limits
  • Reply 33 of 52
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

its one Drug commercial after another

I completely agree. And guess what, those anti-XXXXX commercials are sponsored by the Ad Council. The Ad Council also makes the *&^$!# banner ads on AI. Now, I have a list of the people/organizations/companies who make my life a living hell; it's not very long, but they are near the top. So if you ever wanted to practice sending hate mail, you know of a good target.

Aahh, that felt good. I haven?t ranted for a long while. I feel so relaxed. There's more where that came from, baby! 8)
  • Reply 34 of 52
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The best show on television: The World Poker Tour on the Travel Channel.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

The best show on television: The World Poker Tour on the Travel Channel.

That actually sounds worth getting cable

I love poker . . . well, for small amounts
  • Reply 36 of 52
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    pfflam it's a great show - Wednesday evening, reruns on Saturday afternoon. What's great is that they spy on their cards so you know what they've got in their hands. Fun to watch.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

pfflam it's a great show - Wednesday evening, reruns on Saturday afternoon. What's great is that they spy on their cards so you know what they've got in their hands. Fun to watch.

thats kind of scary. i hope they dont show it live, or else there'd be crazy Lock, Stock-style cheating going on.

comedy:

simpsons [best show evar®?©. there was a time when i got 3 episodes a day, plus i watched more than a few of my personal copies; i called those good times. now i can only catch like 2eps/day and i still have less time for my own viewings: woe is me]

tds w/js [sometimes i follow into col quin, but hes a bit too right leaning for me]

seinfeld, but often conflict with simpsons and forgetfulness

friends [i flip betwen this and seinfeld cuz they tend to run opposing on reruns; but i'd favor seinfeld in a draw]

3rd rock [but they moved it off of time]

cheers and all in the family late nite on nickelodeon.

drama:

law and order [i like the old episodes, and the new; but not the spinoffs so much]

west wing [although i dont always agree with their politicking, the show gives me hope for the president, and a bit more faith in the government while i watch it]

other:

if i can catch a 9-ball gaim on epsn[23..] i watch it.

if nothign else, i go thru hbo, tmc, ifc, sundance et al for flicks, usually to my dismay.

funny thing is, that list represents my shortened teevee time. ther was a time when i'd watch all those shows, and more. before i wrote those all out, i felt like i watched only a small amount of television. i gotta get more of a life.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Top 3:

Alias

The Practice

Honorable mentions:

Buffy (um, The Vampire Slayer, hello!)

Friends (new & old)

old Matrin episodes on USA

Okay, and Americal Idol--yeah, I said it!
  • Reply 39 of 52
    dallenbdallenb Posts: 142member
    1) Most anything on the History Channel, especially Modern Marvels.

2) Some of the shows on The Learning Channel, except any of the foofy house decorating shows like Trading Spaces

3) Hmm...I dont really watch much TV to start with. The news is disgustingly over dramatized, sitcoms are boring, and reality TV just plain sucks.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Current Affairs: Mosaic (WorldLink TV)

Drama: West Wing

Comedy: Fox News, Jon Stewart

Cartoon: Simpsons, original Tom and Jerry

Sci Fi: Star Gate, Farscape, any TNG (anything with Patrick Stewart in fact

+ anything on THC, TLC, Discovery Channel or Animal Planet.