Hosting web-sites from your .Mac "Sites" folder

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm have recently been teaching myself Dreamweaver MX and have created a small web page to test out my beginner skills. I have a .mac account - so I've been using the "Sites" folder to upload my web page folder to make it accessable to the web.

My problem is this... I can only access the page when typing in the exact address and have been unable to locate it via a "Google" search. I have tagged Meta, and Keywords to the page, but have had no luck finding the page.

Is this just a .mac thing, where the page cannot be found by google, or am I possibly doing something wrong here. \

Please help if you can, I'm quite naive when it comes this type of thing and could use some experienced and expert advice.

P.S. this web page was made for my girlfriend who loves the Yoga Guru, Steve Ross, who was recently removed from the "O" channel.

view my first web page, "Gwen Loves Steve ROSS"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Google doesn't automatically know about web pages. They periodically use programs called "spiders" to follow links and look at pages to update the pages they know about and add ones they don't know about.

If you just post a page, you can expect that it'll be a while before Google or any other search engine finds it. I can't really say how long.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    This page will help get your site in Google's index faster:

http://www.google.com/addurl.html

BTW, I think Google uses a "spider" program about once a month.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    You have to type in the exact address because a browser will only automatically load a index.htm, or an index.html, not an index.asp

As stated it will take google a bit to find/log/cache your page.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jkarc21jkarc21 Posts: 132member
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I went ahead and corrected the page, changing it from asp to html. I also added my url to google. Hopefully within the next month a google search will find my web page.

Thanks Again.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Actually, the thing you've done which is most likely to get your page on Google is putting a link to it in this thread, since the more links there are to a page, the more highly it's rated.