Sketchy leak purportedly shows 'iPhone 13 Pro' rear case in new rose gold color

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2021
A pair of supposedly leaked images posted to Twitter this week could offer a glimpse at Apple's upcoming "iPhone 13 Pro," though claims that the photos illustrate a new rose gold color leave their authenticity in question.

iPhone 13 Pro

The photos, posted to Twitter by Majin Bu on Thursday and later spotted by avid leaker Duan Rui, show what appears to be the rear side of a partially assembled "iPhone 13 Pro."

Majin Bu was told that the iPhone unit bears a -- decidedly very dark -- rose gold color, though it is perhaps more likely that the pictured part is a graphite or pre-production black model photographed under warm lighting.

While the source's color claims are highly suspect, there is an interesting and notable distinction between the supposedly leaked unit and iPhone 12 Pro in that the rear camera bump, which includes three lenses, True Tone flash, LiDAR scanner and microphone, is proportionally larger than the corresponding design on current models. Even accounting for the photos' skewed perspective, the camera package appears to be significantly wider, running nearly half the phone's width.

Previous reports and rumors have suggested Apple will stretch the bump on both "iPhone 13 Pro" and, to a lesser extent, "iPhone 13 Pro Max" to fit larger camera modules in the rear-facing array. A similar increase in size was seen in purported case leaks in July.

Majin Bu is relatively new to the Apple leaks world, but he was first to reveal new iPhone 12 silicone case colors in April prior to their public introduction.

In addition to an enlarged camera bump, "iPhone 13 Pro" is anticipated to sport a significantly reduced TrueDepth "notch." Photos of allegedly leaked hardware, including a front glass panel or screen protector, and mockups reveal the smaller notch is in part accomplished by relocating iPhone's ear speaker to the top edge of its display.

Apple is widely expected to introduce "iPhone 13" alongside "Apple Watch Series 7" this fall. A report on Friday claimed the company plans to hold two special events in September to introduce next-generation hardware that could include iPad, iPad mini, 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros and AirPods.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    He’s got to get his eye checked, that is nothing remotely close to rose gold. It’s time for him to bow out of the leaking game.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Rose Gold, huh? I don’t think so. Maybe there have been rumors about the camera bump getting stretched out, but there have been many more that suggest the chassis will be slightly thicker which will make the camera bump seem to protrude less. These photos make the bump seem to protrude more. Fake af. 
  • Reply 3 of 17
    That finish looks decidedly more “dark purple” than anything else. “Rose Gold”? I think not! 
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I never understand the reports about a slightly different color. Things about the camera bump or LiDAR or what not seem to me far more important. To me this is the same as the lengthy discussion about the rounded edges of the new Windows 11 look on Windows Insider. Who cares?
    darkvader
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Is the dress White and Gold... or Blue and Black??
    avonord
  • Reply 6 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Real question is what will compel iPhone 12 users to consider upgrading?  I have a 12 Pro Max and I’m not
    seeing it.  Of course I fully realize this is just one segment of the market. I’m just curious.
    darkvader
  • Reply 7 of 17
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Rose gray ?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    kayesskayess Posts: 42member
    This could be the bronze colour that some have mentioned. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    kayess said:
    This could be the bronze colour that some have mentioned. 
    That’s what I thought, too. 
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Phone color is kind of irrelevant since it needs a case 
    darkvader
  • Reply 11 of 17
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Because clear cases don’t exist?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Rose black 
    The current version is pink anyhow
  • Reply 13 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    jd_in_sb said:
    It does not. My phone is without case the majority of the time. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    Looks Zune Brown to me.
    darkvader
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    sdw2001 said:
    Real question is what will compel iPhone 12 users to consider upgrading?  I have a 12 Pro Max and I’m not
    seeing it.  Of course I fully realize this is just one segment of the market. I’m just curious.
    Apple's iPhone business is not based on yearly upgrades.

dewme
  • Reply 16 of 17
    dewme said:
    Looks Zune Brown to me.
    EXACTLY! My first thought when I saw these images was, "Did Apple hire the old Zune team to pick Pro colors?" Call it whatever color you want, I just call it ugly. ENOUGH with three boring, conservative colors only in the Pro lineup. I want that bombass Sunset Gold that was pictured around the internets a while back. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    sdw2001 said:
    All signs point to further camera improvements that will matter to pro and prosumer photographers/videographers--as well as people who just like having the mostest iPhone. Slightly faster lenses, autofocus for the ultra wide lens and a larger sensor seem to be on tap--looks like we may finally get more than 12 megapixels out of an iPhone, which should be of most help in maintaining quality when cropping. 

Of course, there will be an "INSERT RIDICULOUS NUMBER times faster chip!" which won't make a difference in daily use, but could make possible some cool new things in computational photography and videography. We'll likely see an updated 5G modem, I'd imagine, which I also don't see as making any difference considering that real life performance of 5G and LTE seem about the same to me, and I live in 5G-rich NYC. Oh, and Apple will try to convince you that the new Pro-Motion screen is a must have... I have it on my iPad Pro and I would tell you that it most definitely is not. 

It's weird to me that a company with as big an investment in audio as Apple lags the market when it comes to hi-rez audio in its hardware, like iPhone, and in wireless transmission protocols. The Apple ecosystem is a walled garden anyway, so why not create its own high rez transmission protocol, like AptX but better? THAT I could get excited about. 

Bottom line: even assuming all the most reliable rumors to date are true, this seems more like an iPhone 12S kind of upgrade year, not iPhone 13. 
    edited September 2021