Apple has been testing in-screen Touch ID, but it won't be in 'iPhone 13'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2021
Apple is testing an in-screen version of Touch ID for the iPhone, a report claims, bu it probably won't make an appearance in the iPhone 13.

Rumors of a reintroduction of Touch ID to the iPhone have floated for a while, but while a relocated sensor has been used in products such as the iPad Air, the biometric authentication system has yet to make it back to the iPhone. According to a newsletter, that won't be happening in 2021, at least.

According to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple has been testing in-screen Touch ID for a future flagship iPhone launch, but "it won't make the cut this year."

Reports of testing Touch ID in a next-generation iPhone surfaced in January, with a new in-screen optical system accompanying the existing Face ID. By March, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast that Apple would not add Touch ID to the iPhone with the next launch, advising that its survey of the supply chain indicated there was no timeline for its adoption.

Touch ID isn't the only technology that could be embedded in the display, as Gurman believes Apple has a "long-term goal" of implementing Face ID in a similar way.

As for how Face ID and Touch ID could be implemented down the line, the report offers two possible scenarios.

The first involves the high-end Pro models having in-screen Face ID, while non-pro models continue with a notch-based approach. The second has the premium end gaining in-screen Face ID, while the value-priced devices have in-screen Touch ID.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    So lame. Covid isn’t going away anytime soon.
    Scot1lkruppchemengin1baranbb
  • Reply 2 of 34
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    It would make sense that it does not make it in this iteration.  New custom chip set will need to be develop from scratch and making it damn near perfect
  • Reply 3 of 34

it’s going to end, I know it’s difficult for some to accept. But please understand, you will not have this to cling to forever. You’re going to have to find purpose in something else. You’ve been given notice. 

• Reply 4 of 34

it’s going to end, I know it’s difficult for some to accept. But please understand, you will not have this to cling to forever. You’re going to have to find purpose in something else. You’ve been given notice. 

That’s a pretty arrogant statement considering that only 15% of the world population has been vaccinated and more than 100 countries have inoculated less than 5% of their people. Unless we vaccinate everyone in 200 plus countries, there will still be new variants. 
    applguyfastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Get an Apple Watch for it. Case closed.
    applguymike1StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Cough…power button…cough. 
  • Reply 7 of 34
    fallenjt said:
    If Apple made a watch that had decent battery life I would. 
    avon b7argonaut
  • Reply 8 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Apple will release it when it is ready……right now Apple has gone Fishing with Bing and Satchmo…. 
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Wow. How did the subject of Covid become part of this article???????
    MplsP
  • Reply 10 of 34
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Because Touch ID does not care if somebody has a mask on or not
    pulseimageslkruppgatorguychemengin1argonaut
  • Reply 11 of 34
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    KTR said:
    It would make sense that it does not make it in this iteration.  New custom chip set will need to be develop from scratch and making it damn near perfect
    I think Apple could buy existing chipset\device that is already in use and get iOS to work with it.  They would have to decide if a custom version is really worth the effort.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    AppleInsider said:
    As for how Face ID and Touch ID could be implemented down the line, the report offers two possible scenarios. The first involves the high-end Pro models having in-screen Face ID, while non-pro models continue with a notch-based approach. The second has the premium end gaining in-screen Face ID, while the value-priced devices have in-screen Touch ID. 

Why is this written in such obfuscated manner? Basically, the report predicts that high-end models will have in-screen Face ID, while value models will have either notch-based Face ID or in-screen Touch ID.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    My guess is we will see in-screen TouchID on a future iPhone SE, iPad, and maybe iPad Air and mini.
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 14 of 34
    fallenjt said:

It's better except when you have to use FaceID for Apply Pay, and then it's broken again. This is where TouchID is superior to FaceID when face masks are involved.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    M68000 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    And the point is?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    M68000 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    And the point is?
    ...that TouchID works, e.g. when paying in a store, while FaceID does not.
    applguygatorguyargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Hopefully they will implement TouchID ala iPad Air.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    fallenjt said:

Oh please. Battery life is more than sufficient. Too busy to charge it daily?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 34
    IreneW said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    M68000 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    And the point is?
     O’h thank for the clarification. I do not use the phone for in store payments, I use the watch. 
    MplsPStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    IreneW said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    M68000 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    And the point is?
    So does my apple watch.

fallenjt said:
    My series 3 still gives me about 30 hours of battery life. That’s not enough?