16-inch MacBook Pro, 14-inch MacBook Pro expected to have same performance

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2021
Apple's introduction of a 14-inch MacBook Pro and an updated 16-inch MacBook Pro will both use the same M1X chip, a leaker claims, with equivalent speed expected across both models.

Apple customers are familiar with the general trend for the company to include both faster processors and a better GPU in its larger MacBook Pro models, giving them a performance advantage over the smaller variants. According to one leaker, this won't be the case this fall.

According to @Dylandkt on Twitter, both the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro will "have the same chip and the same performance." In a second tweet, it is clarified that both models will apparently use the "same M1X" chip.

While Apple typically includes a discrete GPU in its larger MacBook Pro variants, the lack of a second GPU in other M1 Mac releases, as well as no eGPU support so far for Apple Silicon systems, suggests Apple won't include the discrete graphics chip in 2021.

By having similar performance, it's likely the only real difference between the models will be physical size, though this could come at a cost for consumers. The leaker warns potential buyers to "expect a notable increase in price for the 14-inch over the 13-inch."

The inbound MacBook Pro refresh is expected to be part of the product line overhaul occurring this fall. Despite claims of shortages, both models are anticipated to launch, and be available to buy before the end of 2021.

The "M1X" chip is rumored to be upgraded to a 12-core CPU and a 16-core GPU, giving a significant performance boost over the M1 chip.

Rumors have pointed to the use of mini LED backlighting, enabling higher contrast levels and improved color representation. An upgrade of the webcam has also been tipped, moving from the well-used 720p FaceTime camera to a 1080p variant.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    I doubt Apple ever wanted the different sizes to have different performance, as for that differentiation they have MacBook Air, MacBook, and MacBook Pro.

Much more likely, it simply was a matter of the max. heat various sizes could dissipate, thus limiting their respective potentials.

With the power efficiency of Apple Silicon, that’s no longer a factor, hence no more performance difference.
    patchythepirategregoriusmcaladanianStrangeDaysuktechiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Is the expectation that the 13 inch is being retired?  Seems odd to me to have a 13 and a 14 inch in the same Pro category.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    crowley said:
    Is the expectation that the 13 inch is being retired?  Seems odd to me to have a 13 and a 14 inch in the same Pro category.
    I bet it stays.

One big difference between Apple today and Apple 10 years ago is the proliferation of differentiated product models. Take a look at the iPad -- you've got iPad, iPad Air, and the 11" iPad Pro, all about the same size. 

There is a risk of over-proliferation, and I think Apple needs to be careful not to confuse customers. 

But overall, I think it's better to err on the side of meeting legit customer needs by having one too many models rather than leave a need unmet. It's when a company has 5 or 10 too many models that there's a problem. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    This is an important, newsworthy change, but it’s also common sense. So whether it’s an actual leak or just a good guess, if it’s true, then Apple is probably not unhappy with it at this late stage. It’s a selling point for the Pro Mac form factors — you get the same power no matter the size — a stark contrast to what has come before, in all PCs. Indeed, I’ll go there: “paradigm shift.”

Combined with the rumored Pro Mac mini, it’s all good. Three form factors, all with the same “M1X” SoC specs.

Probably also an M1X iMac line, with options for more unified memory than you can get in the mobile/mini form factors.

The next step would be to do the same with an iMac Pro and the modular Mac Pro — both with the same “M1Z” SoC specs. 
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Hard disagree. All signs point to the 14” model having the new “square sides, small bezels” design language of the iPhones, iPads and rumored Watch 7. That means the 14” MacBook Pro will be the same size as the 13” MacBook Pro, just with a bigger screen crammed inside. 

What reason does the 13 have to exist after that? Would it be redesigned to a smaller form factor like the old 12” MacBook (which could handily fit a 13” screen with smaller bezels)? What’s the point when the Air is far better suited for that slot?

nah, the 13” is getting phased out for sure. It has no reason to exist.

Although the 14 and 16 are almost certain to have identical CPUs, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 16 has an option for more GPU cores, those screens are understandably popular with video professionals. But that would just be a marketing call, not a hardware/cooling limitation like the Intel and PPC eras.
    pscooter63sdw2001caladanianuktechiefastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Hard disagree. All signs point to the 14” model having the new “square sides, small bezels” design language of the iPhones, iPads and rumored Watch 7. That means the 14” MacBook Pro will be the same size as the 13” MacBook Pro, just with a bigger screen crammed inside. 

What reason does the 13 have to exist after that? Would it be redesigned to a smaller form factor like the old 12” MacBook (which could handily fit a 13” screen with smaller bezels)? What’s the point when the Air is far better suited for that slot?

Although the 14 and 16 are almost certain to have identical CPUs, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 16 has an option for more GPU cores, those screens are understandably popular with video professionals. But that would just be a marketing call, not a hardware/cooling limitation like the Intel and PPC eras.
    I think I agree with you here.  There's no reason to keep the 13".  I would also think the 16" will have SOME performance improvement options.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Eric_WVGG said:

Reviewing this:

https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/

for the air and 13” pro makes me wonder if maybe you’re right. But it also makes me wonder why the 13” pro exists at all. Why does it make sense for it to exist today but not after the 14” is released? The redundancy already exists, and the 14” will be more different from the 13” pro than the Air is from the 13” pro.

Maybe the explanation for the 13” pro is COVID supply chain disruption?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    > But it also makes me wonder why the 13" Pro exists at all

yeah, same. Best guess I can come up with is: they knew a lot of developers would need ARM Macs fast because they wanted to get those early dev kits back and out of circulation, and thought devs would be all "wut, I can't work on an Air, that's nuts"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    blastdoor said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Reviewing this:

for the air and 13” pro makes me wonder if maybe you’re right. But it also makes me wonder why the 13” pro exists at all. Why does it make sense for it to exist today but not after the 14” is released? The redundancy already exists, and the 14” will be more different from the 13” pro than the Air is from the 13” pro.

I don’t see what’s so mysterious. It is just transitional, you can get it with either Apple or Intel silicon. That won’t be true for the new models. 

I imagine the 11” Air will return with the next generation of Apple Silicon:

M2 MacBook Air 11” and 13”
    M2 Mac mini
    M2 iMac 24”

M2X MacBook Pro 14” and 16”
    M2X Mac mini Pro
    M2X iMac 30”

M2Z iMac Pro 30”
    M2Z Mac Pro

I also think this won’t be an annual upgrade cycle like the A series. Maybe every two years? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    blastdoor said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Reviewing this:

I don’t see what’s so mysterious. It is just transitional, you can get it with either Apple or Intel silicon. That won’t be true for the new models. 

M2 Mac mini
    M2 iMac 24”

M2X Mac mini Pro
    M2X iMac 30”

M2Z iMac Pro 30”
    M2Z Mac Pro

I also think this won’t be an annual upgrade cycle like the A series. Maybe every two years? 
    Seems like a plausible lineup. 

I hope you're wrong about not updating every year, though. The competition between AMD and Intel in the PC space (and maybe eventually Windows ARM SOCs from Qualcomm and Nvidia) looks to be pretty fierce for a while. If Apple only updates every two years they could end up with about 6 months out of every 2 years where they are trailing the PC guys. I want total domination, dammit! 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    > But it also makes me wonder why the 13" Pro exists at all

yeah, same. Best guess I can come up with is: they knew a lot of developers would need ARM Macs fast because they wanted to get those early dev kits back and out of circulation, and thought devs would be all "wut, I can't work on an Air, that's nuts"
    The low end MBP13 is there to fill a price gap. That's basically it imo. No other real big reason.

The MBA13 ranges from $1000 to $1300. The 4-port MBP13 ranges from $1800 to $2400. The $1300 to $1800 is a pretty big price gap. So, Apple has been rolling with this low-end 2-port MBP13 to fill the gap for awhile now.

When the MBP14/16 arrive, this price gap gets even bigger. If the MBP14 has a 14" miniLED display, it's going to be $2000. So, there is even more of a need for the MBP13 to fill the gap. Maybe when the M2 MBA, with miniLED and new industrial design comes in Spring of 2022, a suitable M2 MBA could fill a $1300 to $1800 price range, and if so, the MBP13 can be retired.
    watto_cobraTRAG
  • Reply 12 of 29
    blastdoor said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Reviewing this:

M2 Mac mini
    M2 iMac 24”

M2X Mac mini Pro
    M2X iMac 30”

M2Z iMac Pro 30”
    M2Z Mac Pro

Really hope that the 11" nor the 12" Mac laptop does not come back. If Apple is going to serve a niche, they should go bigger. My wishful thinking laptop lineup with a dash of Apple features per dollar in Spring of 2022 would be:

$1000 MBA13 with M1, LCD, 8 GPU core model, LCD, 8 GB RAM, 256, 2-port
    $1100 MBA13 with M2, miniLED, 8 GB, 256 GB storage, 2-port
    $1300 MBA13 with M2, miniLED, 8 GB, 256 GB storage, 2-port
    $1500 MBA14 with M2, miniLED, 8 GB, 512 GB storage, 2-port
    $1800 MBA14 with M2, miniLED, 16 GB, 512 GB storage, 2-port
    $2000 MBP14 with M1X, miniLED, 16 GB, 512 GB storage, 4-port
    $2200 MBP14 with M1X, miniLED, 16 GB, 1 TB storage, 4-port
    $2400 MBP16 with M1X, miniLED, 16 GB, 512 GB storage, 3 TB/USBC, 1 HDMI, 1 SD
    $2800 MBP16 with M1X, miniLED, 32 GB, 1 TB storage, 3 TB/USBC, 1 HDMI, 1 SD

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    This is an important, newsworthy change, but it’s also common sense. So whether it’s an actual leak or just a good guess, if it’s true, then Apple is probably not unhappy with it at this late stage. It’s a selling point for the Pro Mac form factors — you get the same power no matter the size — a stark contrast to what has come before, in all PCs. Indeed, I’ll go there: “paradigm shift.”

Combined with the rumored Pro Mac mini, it’s all good. Three form factors, all with the same “M1X” SoC specs.

Probably also an M1X iMac line, with options for more unified memory than you can get in the mobile/mini form factors.

The next step would be to do the same with an iMac Pro and the modular Mac Pro — both with the same “M1Z” SoC specs. 
    Agreed, I think we're going to see essentially 3 'platforms' with some variants going forward. And, you're right that it is kind of a 'duh' thing, but it is important to state as it is so foreign a concept for anyone who isn't following all this really closely.

Consumer (ie. M1)
    Prosumer (ie. M1X)
    Pro (? M1Z ?)

They might have a bit different characteristics based on binning (ie. 7 vs 8 core GPU) or maybe options like 16 or 32 core GPU or RAM amounts, depending possibly on design and cooling capabilities. But, in general, those 3 categories of chips.

sdw2001 said:
    I would also think the 16" will have SOME performance improvement options.  
    Probably a binning difference, or more RAM, or possibly higher core counts if cooling is greater for the 16" design, would be my guess. They might be the exact same though too. The screen size really *should* be the differentiator. Kind of like iPhones and iPads too, form-factor *should* be driven by use-case, not bigger or smaller is lower or higher end with increasingly more features.

If I do a lot of flying, for example, I might want the smaller machine, even if I'm a more Pro user with $ billions in my bank account. This whole idea of the big machine (or small) being the top model has been rather ridiculous if you ask me.

blastdoor said:
    I hope you're wrong about not updating every year, though. The competition between AMD and Intel in the PC space (and maybe eventually Windows ARM SOCs from Qualcomm and Nvidia) looks to be pretty fierce for a while. If Apple only updates every two years they could end up with about 6 months out of every 2 years where they are trailing the PC guys. I want total domination, dammit! 
    Yeah, same here. But, unfortunately, companies that have a big advantage often seem to 'pace' out that lead to stay just enough out ahead, but not too far. Hopefully Apple is different, but that has been my experience over the years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    One thought... 

For every Mac, I'd love to have the option to include any M* chip that fits in the thermal constraints. In other words, no artificial/marketing restrictions on what SOC can go in a device. If the Mac mini or 24" iMac can handle a 20 CPU core SOC, then let people opt for it (extra $$, obviously). 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Sure, they’ll have the same m1x, but the 16 inch can be clocked higher or have more cores, since it has more thermal capacity. 

The 14 inch might give Apple the ability to use m1x SOCs that would otherwise be considered a yield loss. Just disable the offending cores and you have a perfectly fine (insert core count here) m1x. Just like the m1. 

I doubt performance will be exactly the same. The 16 could also have more GPU cores. 

Just keep the fans highly capable. We do t need a fabless pro machine that throttles during marathon work sessions. 
    uktechiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    There is a difference between how much power an m series chip could do, and how much Apple includes in each iteration. Apple only needs to be up there, and keep some in the tank for later on.

it helps with profits.

edited August 2021
  • Reply 17 of 29
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    The same M1X chip in each doesn’t mean they won’t be somehow limited by a thermal design, clock speed, or a core here or there.  

And so what?   Then you’re just paying more for size and battery.  If Apple makes a super fast chip, why not have it in all devices regardless of size?   It means that their processes are so good, they don’t have to bin the samples that failed the fastest clock checks like Intel has done for decades.  

This chip is gonna be super fast, but all I want is my 32” iMac.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I'm rather intrigued in how different the board design will be between the M1 and the M1X.  Presumably not all that much if all the major differences are contained the SOC package; maybe just some extra IO and maybe tweaks around the display and battery.

Obviously we're never going to get a socketed CPU, but it'll be interesting to see how easy it is for Apple to drop M* variants in to different Macs and scale them up or down.
    uktechiemattinozcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    tht said:
    blastdoor said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Reviewing this:

M2 Mac mini
    M2 iMac 24”

M2X Mac mini Pro
    M2X iMac 30”

M2Z iMac Pro 30”
    M2Z Mac Pro

Really hope that the 11" nor the 12" Mac laptop does not come back. If Apple is going to serve a niche, they should go bigger. My wishful thinking laptop lineup with a dash of Apple features per dollar in Spring of 2022 would be:

I sure hope you’re close on the prices. I plan on trading in my 16” MacBook Pro with 32 GB/ 1 TB/ 8 GB GPU that I spent $4500 on! It would be nice if I could get at $2500 trade in through Apple. When I traded in my old Mac mini for one of the M1 minis I got like $400 for it so that was pretty surprising since it was a couple generations old. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    JinTech said:
    tht said:
    blastdoor said:
    Eric_WVGG said:

Reviewing this:

M2 Mac mini
    M2 iMac 24”

M2X Mac mini Pro
    M2X iMac 30”

M2Z iMac Pro 30”
    M2Z Mac Pro

I sure hope you’re close on the prices. I plan on trading in my 16” MacBook Pro with 32 GB/ 1 TB/ 8 GB GPU that I spent $4500 on! It would be nice if I could get at $2500 trade in through Apple. When I traded in my old Mac mini for one of the M1 minis I got like $400 for it so that was pretty surprising since it was a couple generations old. 
    I made a mistake with the $2800 line. It should be 16 GB RAM, not 32.

Apple has +$400 for going from 16 GB to 32 GB. So, it will have to be about $3k for 32 GB and 1 TB. miniLED will add about $200 to the price too. The issue is Apple will be pricing the MBP14 ever higher, which I tried to reflect. I really didn't do that for the MBP16. However, they won't have a dGPU, and perhaps that will offset.
    watto_cobra