Alaska Airlines flight evacuated after Samsung Galaxy smartphone combusts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2021
A Samsung Galaxy smartphone reportedly caught fire on an Alaska Airlines flight in Seattle on Monday, prompting the evacuation of passengers in an incident reminiscent of a fiasco involving a Galaxy Note 7 device in 2016.

Galaxy A21 Fire
Source: KIRO7 reporter Kevin Ko via Twitter.

The Samsung handset in question, a Galaxy A21, caught fire in the cabin of an Alaska Airlines flight that had landed at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport from New Orleans, reports The Seattle Times. Perry Cooper, spokesman for the Port of Seattle, identified the device in a statement.

"After much digging, I can tell you that the phone was burned beyond recognition," Cooper said. "However, during an interview with one of our Port of Seattle Police officers, the passenger volunteered the phone was a Samsung Galaxy A21. Again, we could not confirm it by looking at the remains of the device."

Alaska Airlines personnel used fire extinguishers and a battery containment bag to "stop the phone from smoking," the airline told The Verge. Conditions in the plane's cabin prompted use of evacuation slides, with two passengers later treated at a local hospital, an Alaska Airlines spokesperson said.

No serious injuries were sustained during the event, according to a tweet from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. A total of 128 passengers and six crew members were taken by bus to the airport's terminal, another tweet said.

It's been five years since Samsung issued a global recall for its Galaxy Note 7 device after widespread reports of battery fires and explosions. One such incident saw the evacuation of a Southwest Airlines flight in October 2016.

Whether the Galaxy A21 fire is an isolated incident or indicative of a manufacturing defect is unclear.

Apple, too, has dealt with problems related iPhone battery fires, though cases are exceedingly rare.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    If they used the “battery containment bag” with it I wonder why they used slides to evacuate.  Just open the doors and remove the bag from the plane.  (Won’t claim to be an expert but I do have large Lithium ion batteries for RC and have some “battery containment bags” on hand.  (Never needed one though). 
    iyfcalvinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Wonder if the two passengers that were hospitalized were injured by the battery or the trip down the slide?
    Evacuation seems a bit extreme to me.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Wonder if the two passengers that were hospitalized were injured by the battery or the trip down the slide?
    Hindsight is 20:50. Trust me - when there's a confirmed fire on board an aircraft, there is a procedure, and the captain gives orders. Disobey at your peril. 

I'd sort of be interested in the nature of the injuries too. Curious if the injuries were from the trip down the slide...with their carryons.
    edited August 2021 beowulfschmidtDogpersonpscooter63Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    eightzero said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Hindsight is 20:50. Trust me - when there's a confirmed fire on board an aircraft, there is a procedure, and the captain gives orders. Disobey at your peril. 

I'd sort of be interested in the nature of the injuries too. Curious if the injuries were from the trip down the slide...with their carryons.
    The smoldering fire was inside the batter containment bag (once placed inside).  Yes, obey the captain.  However, the captain probably over reacted since the “fire” was contained inside a device meant for that purpose.  I was not there but based on the description and my limited knowledge of much larger lithium ion batteries and such containment bags. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Why evacuate?! There was a device on a confined plane with jet fuel that is actively burning and filled the cabin with toxic fumes. If this actually turned out to be a chemical bomb it could have been much worse than a phone burned beyond recognition
    Dogpersonpscooter63viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    All the comments here about the captain overreacting are laughable, at best.  The captain doesn't have the luxury of playing it cool when he has human lives that he's responsible for.

Also LOL at Samsung for still making shitty products.
    edited August 2021 DogpersonwilliamlondonsconosciutoapplguyEsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    igorsky said:
    All the comments here about the captain overreacting are laughable, at best.  The captain doesn't have the luxury of playing it cool when he has human lives that he's responsible for.

Which was the greater danger.   Removing the smoldering phone, already in the containment bag, or having a hundred or two people go down the slides.  Every time I hear about planes deploying slides, there end up being injuries.  

This is not about an active,  uncontained fire on an airplane.  Of course you evacuate when that happens.  This is about a smoldering phone that was contained in a bag made for that purpose.  On a plane on the ground.   Which is the greater danger?  Throwing/removing the containment bag off the plane or slide evacuating a hundred or two people.   I don’t know the answer but it is a reasonable question and not at all laughable. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    chadbag said:
    igorsky said:

Which was the greater danger.   Removing the smoldering phone, already in the containment bag, or having a hundred or two people go down the slides.  Every time I hear about planes deploying slides, there end up being injuries.  

This is not about an active,  uncontained fire on an airplane.  Of course you evacuate when that happens.  This is about a smoldering phone that was contained in a bag made for that purpose.  On a plane on the ground.   Which is the greater danger?  Throwing/removing the containment bag off the plane or slide evacuating a hundred or two people.   I don’t know the answer but it is a reasonable question and not at all laughable. 
    Fire has smoke. It’s nice the fire was contained but what about the smoke? They weren’t at a terminal gate so how would they get off the plane? How long would the mobile stairs take to get there with all the emergency vehicles on site? Do they even have mobile stairs?
    MplsPwilliamlondonsconosciutoBeatsapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I read that the injuries were mainly minor scrapes & bruises occurred during the evacuation. 

I love the number of people here who weren’t there and have no experience in commercial aviation feel qualified to second guess the decisions made by the pilot and crew. 
    sconosciutoBeats
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MplsP said:
    I read that the injuries were mainly minor scrapes & bruises occurred during the evacuation. 

I love the number of people here who weren’t there and have no experience in commercial aviation feel qualified to second guess the decisions made by the pilot and crew. 
    Bro, FB much lately? It is filled with the strident pronouncements regarding Covid, vaccines, and masks from graduates of the YouTube School of Virology and Public Health.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I hope they ban these cheap knockoffs from flight again. 
    sconosciuto
  • Reply 12 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This won’t make it to the evening news. Now if it had been an iPhone that caught fire there would be a CNN documentary entitled “Fire in the cabin, how an Apple iPhone almost killed everybody.” MSNBC would be interviewing the injured in their hospital beds as they pleaded for the government to DO something. Fox would be blaming it on Biden. /s

dewmemacxpressapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    "Conditions in the plane's cabin prompted use of evacuation slides." - Alaskan Airlines spokesperson 

There is nothing to support the baseless speculation that is boldly presented as fact that occurs in these comments.
    MplsPwatto_cobra