Google pokes fun at Apple's Jony Ive design videos in new headphone jack ad

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google has released a satirical ad for the Pixel 5a's headphone jack that pokes fun at Apple, even though that feature is actually absent from Google's flagship Pixel devices.

Credit: Google
Credit: Google

The ad, titled "The Circle Comes Full Circle," touts the apparent symmetry and perfection of the 3.5mm headphone jack on the newly released Pixel 5a with 5G. The ad spot is an obvious satire of Apple's Jony Ive design videos.

"Calling this perfectly-symmetrical, technological marvel, a 'headphone jack' may feel like an understatement... but technically, that's what it's called, so... fair enough," the video description reads. "Behold! The Headphone Jack, on the Google Pixel 5a with 5G."

Google's ad isn't subtle with its attempt to parody the tone and voice of the classic Jony Ive design clips. There are intentional over-the-top moments, including the use of a docking space station to demonstrate the haptic feedback of a physical headphone port.

However, although Google claims that the headphone jack is a "a glorious achievement that draws from our past as it propels us into the future," that future apparently doesn't include its flagship smartphones.

While the mid-range Google Pixel 5a with 5G features a headphone jack, Google's Pixel 5 does not. Current rumors also suggest that the upcoming Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro will also lack the 3.5mm analog port. Apparently, "the future" only applies to Google's mid-range lineup.

Google is also far from being inventive here -- Apple's Jony Ive design videos are a frequent target for parody. McDonald's satirized them back in 2017, following a similar parody on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" in 2016.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Just more proof that Google lacks a cohesive product or messaging strategy. Much like how they recently disbanded their health initiatives unit, but have scattered health projects. Fiefdoms.
    lkrupppulseimageslolliverBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 53
    OK, that was funny.  Silly, but well done. 🤣
    darkvaderurashidpulseimagesbaconstangGraeme000Anilu_777tokyojimusdw2001Scot1hucom2000
  • Reply 3 of 53
    mrd10mrd10 Posts: 6member
    This was silly “funny”. But is anyone else TRULY over this headphone jack debate? My god, can we all get over the 3.5mm port? It’s old tech, it’s time to let it go. The number of people who actually need that port (musicians or designers, whatever) are far and few between. The most of the world does NOT “need” a headphone jack. I’m sick of hearing about it and I’m sick of this constant complaining from people it’s gone. For the few who need it, you have adapters. Now stop complaining because the majority of us don’t care. Bye. 
    fred1Anilu_777F_Kent_DBeatswatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 4 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Aluminium fancy pronunciation made me lol.  Very good Google.
    beowulfschmidturashidmuthuk_vanalingampulseimagestokyojimubageljoeyanantksundaram
  • Reply 5 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    It was funny.

On the subject of headphone jacks I'd definitely say they still have legs.

Every time I get a low power beep in a Bluetooth bud I remember how hassle free cable connections can be (I'm not a fan of adaptors). Plug in and forget, especially when used in a stationary context. And also when volume control is important (I'm looking at you Firestick). An in line volume control is always a surefire option. 

edited August 2021 darkvaderbaconstang
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Does anyone else think WTF was that video trying to do/say? Google clearly don’t know what a good marketing video / strategy looks like. 😂
    ravnorodomlolliverigorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 53
    mrd10 said:
    This was silly “funny”. But is anyone else TRULY over this headphone jack debate? My god, can we all get over the 3.5mm port? It’s old tech, it’s time to let it go. The number of people who actually need that port (musicians or designers, whatever) are far and few between. The most of the world does NOT “need” a headphone jack. I’m sick of hearing about it and I’m sick of this constant complaining from people it’s gone. For the few who need it, you have adapters. Now stop complaining because the majority of us don’t care. Bye. 
    Typical elitist commentary.  "I don't need that, so the WORLD doesn't need that, since the vast majority of people are normal, like me.  The rest of you peons can just do without.  If you were actually important, like me, Apple would be catering to you.  Besides, alternatives exist that cost more money, so where's the problem?" /s
    darkvaderspice-boymuthuk_vanalingambaconstangretrogusto
  • Reply 8 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Does anyone else think WTF was that video trying to do/say? Google clearly don’t know what a good marketing video / strategy looks like. 😂
    It was trying to make people laugh, and it succeeded with at least one.
    beowulfschmidtdarkvadermuthuk_vanalingamAnilu_777tokyojimuhucom2000anantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 53
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    So that was supposed to be funny. It wasn’t. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 53
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    Petty for marketing a product, but also funny and effective. 😂 I've shared it with many people already.
    edited August 2021 darkvaderanantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 53
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    When was the last time you watched a Google ad on this website and then commented about it? Clearly it's effective for marketing. And I'm sure you'll say that you won't be moved by this ad to ditch Apple for the Pixel 5a (neither am I) others-specifically Android users—will now know that the Pixel 5a is a thing. Hell, I hadn't even heard of this phone until this ad.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Money well spent by google¡
    darkvadermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Agreed, it IS pretty funny. I never would have thought it had anything to do with Jonny Ive specifically or even Apple in general. To me it's more a send-up of product announcements in general that go way over the top on relatively mundane design features. Google themselves have done it.  Everyone does. Love it when companies can poke fun at stuff like this.
    :)
    kayess
  • Reply 14 of 53
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    How can people say “get over the headphone jack debate, it’s old tech” when Apple can’t even manage to get lossless audio to it’s highest end flagship headphones?

The highest end headphones plug into the highest end DAC/headphone amps by, *drumroll* a headphone jack.

So at least until the point when Apple manages to deliver lossless audio to its own headphones, this debate is fully justified, because as of now, you need an airplay2 target that supports lossless audio, and a DAC/headphone amp, and third party headphones, if you want to fully enjoy your music on headphones: a rather roundabout way, as compared to having a headphone jack in the device.
    (Yeah, well, maybe a USB DAC plus camera adapter might work, too… not any more elegant, though)
    darkvadermuthuk_vanalingambaconstangtokyojimuretrogustohucom2000
  • Reply 15 of 53
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Absolutely brilliant.

If I decide to abandon the iPhone (which I WILL do if Apple doesn't back down on the spyware) this phone is pretty tempting. 

I'd want to wipe it and put a more security-focused Android distro on it, of course.  But the headphone jack really is a big deal for me, not having one is a near-daily annoyance.
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 16 of 53
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I loved it, a well done parody of the "all too seriousness for what it really is" Apple puts into its presentations. I do miss my old school jack hole. 
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 17 of 53
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Slapstick on a pig
    Xedlkruppigorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 53
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    "Hey Google, tell me a joke"
    beowulfschmidtigorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jSnively said:
    "Hey Google, tell me a joke"
    LOL. I just got "what do you call a bear with no teeth"....

Long live Dad jokes. :)
  • Reply 20 of 53
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    Who is the aimed at? 4 or 5 years ago I could see it making sense but the world has moved on. I live in NYC so I see a lot of people walking around wearing headphones and it’s pretty rare to see anyone using headphones with cables. The few times I do, it’s usually someone using the free iPhone headphones with a 3.5mm to lightning adapter. 
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra