Google pokes fun at Apple's Jony Ive design videos in new headphone jack ad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mrd10 said:
    This was silly “funny”. But is anyone else TRULY over this headphone jack debate? My god, can we all get over the 3.5mm port? It’s old tech, it’s time to let it go. The number of people who actually need that port (musicians or designers, whatever) are far and few between. The most of the world does NOT “need” a headphone jack. I’m sick of hearing about it and I’m sick of this constant complaining from people it’s gone. For the few who need it, you have adapters. Now stop complaining because the majority of us don’t care. Bye. 
    The MBP still has this old tech and I wish the iPhone did too. 
    baconstangDnykjpRfC6fnBsretrogustomuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 53
    HrebHreb Posts: 82member
    The headphone jack remains a killer feature for some and completely irrelevant for others.  I've actually been using my 12 mini with a lightning adapter for various reasons for the past week or so and it's been a huge pain.  If I had the option to upgrade to a small, modern iphone with a built in headphone jack, I'd absolutely pay up for it.
    baconstangretrogustomariowinco
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Nyahahahaha…..thats funny ad. Whats next dial modem??
    Beats
  • Reply 24 of 53
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Hreb said:
    The headphone jack remains a killer feature for some and completely irrelevant for others.  I've actually been using my 12 mini with a lightning adapter for various reasons for the past week or so and it's been a huge pain.  If I had the option to upgrade to a small, modern iphone with a built in headphone jack, I'd absolutely pay up for it.
    I wish more people talked about how good the dang DAC is in those little $10 dongles. It's kind of amazing for what it is
    edited August 2021 retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 53
    mrd10 said:
    This was silly “funny”. But is anyone else TRULY over this headphone jack debate? My god, can we all get over the 3.5mm port? It’s old tech, it’s time to let it go. The number of people who actually need that port (musicians or designers, whatever) are far and few between. The most of the world does NOT “need” a headphone jack. I’m sick of hearing about it and I’m sick of this constant complaining from people it’s gone. For the few who need it, you have adapters. Now stop complaining because the majority of us don’t care. Bye. 
    The MBP still has this old tech and I wish the iPhone did too. 
    Oh I would love to have an iPhone to hook up a 3.5 to. I hate the dongle bit as much as I hate the non 3.5 iPhone. Every time I use the dongle it disconnects like maybe a bad wire in it and then when it reconnects the volume randomly goes to high. I have a pretty nice pair of Sennheiser headphones that I absolutely love but can’t use no more with confidence because of that dongle. I will need a new laptop this year providing i make it that long (terminal cancer) but I sure hope to get my hands on the new 16” MBP and hopefully that will still include the 3.5 jack
    mariowinco
  • Reply 26 of 53
    It was silly funny. But, I am one glad for wireless headphones. Really in 2021, Google is pushing for headphones!

Should have added clips of the people dealing with those nasty headphone cables:
    • Coiling and uncoiling those cables that tended to form knots. 
    • Trying to hastily put those away by bunching them into a pocket or a bag, 
    • Snagging the cable on a door handle, exercise machine, or some other object and ripping the headphones out of your ears or strangling you with the cord
    • Breaking a plug in the device due to the previous snag.
    • The constant bang of the cable on your body while running and how it was pickup by your headphones
    • Forgetting you left your phone on the table, getting up and pulling the phone with force so it sails crashing into the floor.
    • Needing adaptors because not every device had the same connector
    • Trying to connect the device to the car cable in the dark at night

ibillsagan_studentwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Emotional maturity is even lacking in the tech world. Grow up GOOGLE. I avoid your search engine like the plaque, but YouTube is to useful to ignore . 
    Mocking others is really childish. House wives of Orange County  mentality is everywhere.

Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    HrebHreb Posts: 82member
    jSnively said:
    I wish more people talked about how good the dang DAC is in those little $10 dongles. It's kind of amazing for what it is
    Needless to say my $10 dongle does not have an impressive DAC.  Quite obviously the opposite.  Maybe I needed a $15 dongle instead?
    It would be super niche, but I wonder if it's feasible to make a cheap lightning dongle that gives you lightning for charging + spdif out for digital audio?  I have no shortage of DACs, just a shortage of good ways to use them with my iphone.
    baconstang
  • Reply 29 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It was silly funny. But, I am one glad for wireless headphones. Really in 2021, Google is pushing for headphones!

It offers both. Wireless, including Google Fast Pair,  or thru the headphone jack. A lot of us have really good wired headphones and will appreciate the option with no dongle to lose or misplace.
    edited August 2021 baconstang
  • Reply 30 of 53
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    Well they shut them selves in the foot. They are paying Apple to stay as a default search engine. Apple get a lot of sales and Google is struggling?  Desperate 
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    edenroc00 said:
    Emotional maturity is even lacking in the tech world. Grow up GOOGLE. I avoid your search engine like the plaque, but YouTube is to useful to ignore . 
    Mocking others is really childish. House wives of Orange County  mentality is everywhere.

To be honest, I'm not seeing it as mocking.

It's parody. Satire. Having a playful dig. It's not nasty.

I'm sure Ive himself can see the funny side and probably cringes at many of his own past videos. 
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingamDetnator
  • Reply 32 of 53
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    avon b7 said:
    It was funny.

On the subject of headphone jacks I'd definitely say they still have legs.

Every time I get a low power beep in a Bluetooth bud I remember how hassle free cable connections can be (I'm not a fan of adaptors). Plug in and forget, especially when used in a stationary context. And also when volume control is important (I'm looking at you Firestick). An in line volume control is always a surefire option. 

Before you plug-in and forget - don’t forget to untie the entangled cord. 
    blastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    It’s funny….too bad the rest of their marketing is crap, as is their product.  
    igorskywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 34 of 53
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    rcfa said:
    How can people say “get over the headphone jack debate, it’s old tech” when Apple can’t even manage to get lossless audio to it’s highest end flagship headphones?

The highest end headphones plug into the highest end DAC/headphone amps by, *drumroll* a headphone jack.

So at least until the point when Apple manages to deliver lossless audio to its own headphones, this debate is fully justified, because as of now, you need an airplay2 target that supports lossless audio, and a DAC/headphone amp, and third party headphones, if you want to fully enjoy your music on headphones: a rather roundabout way, as compared to having a headphone jack in the device.
    (Yeah, well, maybe a USB DAC plus camera adapter might work, too… not any more elegant, though)
    Give me a break..

Apple tells The Verge that when you play a 24-bit / 48 kHz Apple Music lossless track from an iPhone into the AirPods Max using both the cable and Lightning dongle, the audio is converted to analog and then re-digitized to 24-bit / 48 kHz. That re-digitization step is the reason that Apple can’t say you’re hearing pure lossless audio; it’s not an identical match to the source

Your ears can tell the difference between a lossless signal that is analog and re-digitized at the same 24-bit/48 kHz sample rate? I highly doubt it? If you are doing any type critical listening and use an external DAC you have already given up on elegant as you put it. This type of set up is for stationary critical listening, not walking around town or around the house. So add the camera adapter and enjoy through your audiophile cans. Airpods max are expensive for the sound they reproduce and the tech inside. Comparing them to audiophile level wired headphones at the same price point really makes no sense. That isn't the game Apple is trying to play with the Airpods Max.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 53
    A lot of resource from Google to throw away on this pointless video.
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 53
    crowley said:
    Aluminium fancy pronunciation made me lol.  Very good Google.
    yes it's actually the pronunciation most use outside of the US 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 53
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    If you can’t beat ‘em, lampoon ‘em. 
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    darkvader said:
    Absolutely brilliant.

If I decide to abandon the iPhone (which I WILL do if Apple doesn't back down on the spyware) this phone is pretty tempting. 

I'd want to wipe it and put a more security-focused Android distro on it, of course.  But the headphone jack really is a big deal for me, not having one is a near-daily annoyance.

Google doesn’t give a sh** about your privacy. What a weird threat. 
    igorskywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 39 of 53
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Can’t wait for the ad bragging about the SD card slot and removable battery!!

oh and the floppy disk drive!
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Aluminium fancy pronunciation made me lol.  Very good Google.
    yes it's actually the pronunciation most use outside of the US 
    Explaining the joke does not make it funnier, especially when everyone knew the explanation anyway.
    beowulfschmidt