• Reply 21 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I want Solarian.

edit: 
    Also -- I'd like my youth back. 
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Side note: I don't know how much Cyan stands to make from this, but assuming they stand to make over $1m on it since the UE port, a chunk of what you're paying will go to Unreal (Epic Games.) I know
    some people here are... bitter or put off by that. (I'm not, but if you're not aware...)

I opened this article intending to buy it, then when I read they aren't selling it on the Apple app store, I changed my mind. 

But I don't "feel bitter," I just feel sorry for them. They don't want money.

What's wrong with Steam? It's a far better place to buy games than the Mac App Store. 
    I didn't say anything was "wrong" with Steam. If you want to use it, go ahead. I support Steam's right to exist (although there really is no such right.) The question is why isn't Myst available on the Apple app store. Why won't they sell it to me? How many sales do you think Myst is losing? I don't have to use every and any app store that exists. How many app stores are there, by the way? How many app stores do you want me to install?

It's not my job to accommodate game sellers. They should be accommodating me. In fact, they sell Myst on 19 different OS platforms. That proves they know how to accommodate customers.  But they won't accommodate me by selling it on the official Apple app store? Why are they so inconsistent in terms of accommodating their customers? It's especially ironic since the Myst game was originally developed on Apple computers and users on Apple computers were also their only customers. And now we get this slap in the face.
    It is, dummy:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/myst/id1580649368?l=en&mt=12

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    For ANYONE ELSE paying attention — there's a shit ton of games available on Steam that likely will never be on the Mac App Store. It's overall a pretty decent platform, and nearly all games I have played extensively on the Mac (Civilization, Cities Skylines, Stellaris, etc etc) I've bought through it. Better support for reviews, for DLC, for pretty much everything beyond the Mac App Store which is severely hobbled in a lot of ways as most people know.

Also — I hope at some point Apple brings back VR support with their own rumored headset if nothing else so there's a possibility Steam support for that comes back (it was there for a while) since third party headset and SteamVR all dried up right quick after their really cool WWDC demo in 2017. I'll jump on that train in a second when it comes to fruition.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    mpantone said:

Assuming the VR reviewers give it a thumbs-up, I will buy this game the first time it goes on a sale since I have an Oculus Rift S.
    Also, I meant to add it already came out on Oculus platform in December. I assume it's not as robust as the PCVR version though, so I assume you'd want to play it tethered. 
  • Reply 25 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    For ANYONE ELSE paying attention — there's a shit ton of games available on Steam that likely will never be on the Mac App Store. It's overall a pretty decent platform, and nearly all games I have played extensively on the Mac (Civilization, Cities Skylines, Stellaris, etc etc) I've bought through it. Better support for reviews, for DLC, for pretty much everything beyond the Mac App Store which is severely hobbled in a lot of ways as most people know.
    Yeah, the kind of games I like to play may be offered through the Mac App Store, but there's no way I'd ever buy them from there.  Even beyond the fact that you often pay significantly more on MAS, Steam offers so much more in terms of Workshop, Early Access, Community.  MAS is dead in the water functionally, even if the storefront is more aesthetically pleasing.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 29
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    HeliBum said:
    sflocal said:
    Myst - and Riven - are still imho some of the most amazing games that I grew up with.  I would get a VR headset just to play this game again. 
    Myst III: Exile was a good one too. It had a good story and a well-known actor as the protagonist (Brad Dourif, a.k.a. Wormtongue in LotR).

Myst IV sucked.

I miss these sorts of games. Journeyman Project and its sequels were fun to play too, 
    IMO Myst had the Star Trek Movie problem. Every other one was good. Myst was great, and I loved when they made RealMyst to let you wander around freely. I didn't care for Rivin. Too many flip this valve in this world to turn on something in a totally different world, to power something in a third one with no clues these were connected. Myst III was great, loved it. Myst 4 was, well yes, it sucked. 

Oh and yes I'd love to see the Journeyman Project redone with modern tech. I still remember when the french soldiers in the castle started quoting Monty Python at you. A lot of good humour in that one. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Oh, man…this game was amazing; as addictive as Civ, harder than heroin. Perfect re-playability. Granted, I had it when I was still using Windows 95 –– alongside Command & Conquer: Red Alert –– so there’s a bit of a nostalgia kick right there. Downloading now for my M1 MacBook Air.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    The original Myst dates all the way back to the HyperCard days.  If you all remember, the game was written using HyperCard to click through the stacks, with a requirement of a 68030 CPU and 256 colors.  I bought my second Mac with a CD-ROM drive to play Myst.  Then I bought a Power Mac G3 to play Riven.  Myst has had many many new versions of course.  

Once I saw this article, I went to my GOG account and bought it.  It looks beautiful. Amazing detail.  The graphics are fluid on my 2020 iMac 10-core with the Radeon Pro 5700 XT graphics.  The only thing missing is the original QuickTime live video files of the Miller brothers.  They have been substituted for CGI animated replacements to go along with the new graphics.  Likely because the QuickTime videos were so small because the game originally played with a resolution smaller than 640x480.  But, besides that, it is the best looking version of the game.  Blows away RealMyst.

The comment of refusing to buy the game because the person did not know it was on the Mac App Store is silly.  When you originally bought the game, you bought it from a retailer.  It does not matter where you buy it, and to be honest, both Steam and GOG are far better providers of Mac games than Apple's Mac App Store, and they don't have sandboxing restrictions.  

The 7th Guest is available for Windows on GOG, and 11th Hour is available for Mac and Windows on GOG.  The 7th Guest, a crippled version without the Microscope puzzle used to be in the Mac App Store, but it is 32-bit and likely removed.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 29
    HeliBum said:
    sflocal said:
    Myst - and Riven - are still imho some of the most amazing games that I grew up with.  I would get a VR headset just to play this game again. 
    Myst III: Exile was a good one too. It had a good story and a well-known actor as the protagonist (Brad Dourif, a.k.a. Wormtongue in LotR).

Myst IV sucked.

I miss these sorts of games. Journeyman Project and its sequels were fun to play too, 
    Having played myst I, II, III and the journeyman project, they were all great games (though journeyman got buggy at the very end).  If your testimony is worth it’s wait in gold, glad I didn’t play IV (uru was it?).  7th guest also looked fun; watched and helped my friends play, but never saw the end.   Good times….
    watto_cobra