Apple Pay limit to increase to GBP 100 from October 15 in UK

Posted:
in iPhone
UK Finance announced a new GBP 100 spending limit when using contactless payments, including Apple Pay, to go into effect on October 15.

Contactless payment limits to increase to GBP 100
Contactless payment limits to increase to GBP 100

The current limit is GBP 45 when using contactless payments, and depending on the merchant, this limit can be applied to Apple Pay. In this context, contactless payments refers to using an NFC-enabled card with no security pin.

According to the report from UK Finance, Apple Pay and Google Pay should be available as an alternative to contactless card payments. However, some registers will treat Apple Pay as a contactless payment and apply the limit regardless.

"Contactless payment has proved very popular with consumers and an increasing number of transactions are being made using contactless technology," said Chief Executive of UK Finance, David Postings. "The increase in the limit to GBP100 will allow people to pay for higher value transactions like their weekly shop or filling up their car with fuel. The payments industry has worked hard to put in place the infrastructure to enable retailers to update their payments systems so they can start to offer their customers this new higher limit."

The limit is meant to protect users from fraud since using an NFC card requires no security verification. At GBP 45, thieves are less likely to attempt stealing a card for fraud use, at GBP 100 less so.

Apple Pay and other secure payment methods like chip and pin are not supposed to trigger the limit since security verification is taking place. However, some payment terminals do not recognize Apple Pay as a separate payment method from NFC cards, and so decline payments over the limit.

Customers should look for the Apple Pay sticker at registers to verify support. Otherwise, purchases may be subject to the limit.

The GBP 100 limit goes into effect on October 15, 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    Is there some reason why you can't use the GBP symbol, £? You used the USD one, $, for the story about Tim Cook's $750 million share deal.
    caladanianOllyJseanj
  • Reply 2 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    darkpaw said:
    Is there some reason why you can't use the GBP symbol, £? You used the USD one, $, for the story about Tim Cook's $750 million share deal.

It's not on US keyboards and a pain to manually find it and use.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I have never found a terminal that applies a a limit to Apple Pay, other than sometimes refunds don't work through it. Even when the limit was £30, I regularly spent more through Apple Pay with no issue.
    darkvader
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    elijahg said:
    I have never found a terminal that applies a a limit to Apple Pay, other than sometimes refunds don't work through it. Even when the limit was £30, I regularly spent more through Apple Pay with no issue.
    I hit a limit at a bike shop in the US. Couldn’t put $3,000 on the Apple Card using my watch. The clerk had never run into a limit before, but we broke it into two transactions ($2 and $1K).

darkvader
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Here is a link to the current limits that may, or may not, be applied by merchants or bank cards:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207435
  • Reply 6 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    elijahg said:
    Likewise, yet to have any problem.  Why would a merchant limit the amount of money a customer can spend in their store?
    darkvader
  • Reply 7 of 22
    From a UK article back in 2017:

Apple Pay doesn’t face that limit, because it’s more secure than a traditional contactless payment, but not all terminals were upgraded to distinguish the difference. Now, over half can, which could accelerate Apple Pay’s gains in the UK.”
    OllyJcrowley
  • Reply 8 of 22
    OllyJOllyJ Posts: 4member
    Apple Pay has no limit at all. I can confirm this as I have used it to pay £80,000 on a new car. 
    No idea why this article has been written. 
    ionicle
  • Reply 9 of 22
    DangDave said:
    From a UK article back in 2017:

”Apple Pay doesn’t face that limit, because it’s more secure than a traditional contactless payment, but not all terminals were upgraded to distinguish the difference. Now, over half can, which could accelerate Apple Pay’s gains in the UK.”
    That makes sense, thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I buy groceries every 2 weeks, and I'm over the limit of $250 each time. So I can never pay with Apple Pay since the limit in Canada is $250. I've asked the merchants about the limit and they say it's not them. I went to my bank and they say it's not them. The only remaining party it could be is the credit card or debit card company. At least it was raised to $250 a few months ago from $100.

So every time I'm over the limit I have to use a PIN with my credit card or debit card, which is less secure than Apple Pay which uses biometrics. Go figure.
    PetrolDavejony0
  • Reply 11 of 22
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    The reason for the increase to £100 is that the current Conservative government is trying to justify Brexit by finding ways to diverge from the EU. No-one else benefits from this increase apart from thieves.
    darkvader
  • Reply 12 of 22
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I buy groceries every 2 weeks, and I'm over the limit of $250 each time. So I can never pay with Apple Pay since the limit in Canada is $250. I've asked the merchants about the limit and they say it's not them. I went to my bank and they say it's not them. The only remaining party it could be is the credit card or debit card company. At least it was raised to $250 a few months ago from $100.

So every time I'm over the limit I have to use a PIN with my credit card or debit card, which is less secure than Apple Pay which uses biometrics. Go figure.

I can't use Apple Pay for groceries because no grocery store here accepts any type of NFC payment. 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    OllyJ said:
    Apple Pay has no limit at all. I can confirm this as I have used it to pay £80,000 on a new car. 
    FFS, because it’s not an article about Apple Pay…
  • Reply 14 of 22
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    xbit said:
    The reason for the increase to £100 is that the current Conservative government is trying to justify Brexit by finding ways to diverge from the EU. No-one else benefits from this increase apart from thieves.
    We have a conspiracy theorist in the house!!  :D
    Absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. Everything to do do with people moving away from using cash which has accelerated during the pandemic.
    But being a conspiracy theorist you probably don’t believe there is a pandemic…
    ionicleelijahgjony0
  • Reply 15 of 22
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    seanj said:
    OllyJ said:
    FFS, because it’s not an article about Apple Pay…
    The headline would suggest it is. 

The actual story is that UK contactless payment limits on bank cards have increased to £100. Nothing to do with ApplePay which has always had far higher limits. 
    indiekidukjony0
  • Reply 16 of 22
    xbit said:
    Wtf?

I'm among the first in line chanting down with the Tories, but this is a stretch.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Has none of my British compatriots noticed that’s a Bank of America card in the picture, surely a picture with a Coutts card would be more appropriate?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Duh Apple Pay is not contactless duh
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Duh Apple Pay is not contactless duh
    What contact do you make with Apple Pay?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    darkpaw said:
    It's where the $ versus £ lie on unicode. It's a limitation of the content delivery system.