Apple testing new Face ID that works with masks, says leaker

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2021
An upgraded Face ID array is being tested that works with masks, according to new leaks by Jon Prosser.

Face ID test rig render. Image source: Jon Prosser and RendersbyIan
Face ID test rig render. Image source: Jon Prosser and RendersbyIan

Avid leaker Jon Prosser was able to view images and video of about 75 prototype rigs and produce a composite render. The purported test device shows a Face ID array situated on top of an iPhone 12 with some distinct changes.

According to the report from Front Page Tech, the tested array is arranged differently than the current Face ID array, and appears slimmer in size. For example, the camera on the test units is on the left-hand side, where the iPhone 12 selfie camera is on the right.

The test units are being used in favor of finalized iPhone models to minimize leaks or other issues. The iPhone 12 fits inside the test rig bypassing the internal Face ID system.

Tests are being conducted with and without masks or glasses on a wide scale. In addition, testers are being asked to test in various environments with different styles of glasses or masks.

Prosser's sources were unable to say if the new feature would roll out with the "iPhone 13" at launch. However Prosser's sources were confident that the test rig was using "iPhone 13" Face ID tech.

It is unknown how the Face ID technology has been altered to allow detection with masks or foggy glasses. The sources that leaked to Prosser say they are just testing the equipment and have not been given technical details as to how it works.

A Face ID system that can work with masks would be a significant feature for the "iPhone 13." Previously, Apple updated the Apple Watch to unlock the iPhone when a mask was detected as a stopgap for some users.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Apple are too slow at implementation
    elijahgJaphey
  • Reply 2 of 15
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    KBuffett said:
    Maybe you should take charge and fix all their issues. 
    sdw2001llamamike1sconosciutoStrangeDaysricmacanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    KBuffett said:
    They typically don't implement half-baked solutions, other manufacturers do, just to stand out.

And when is samsung implementing anything close to face-id? Next year? Never?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    If the camera can see through a mask it can also look through clothes, that might be one concern
    georgie01
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    How much of the face does FaceID want/need to see to be able to produce a unique pattern? Has anyone tried running the FaceID process with a mask on to see what happens?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    rob53 said:
    How much of the face does FaceID want/need to see to be able to produce a unique pattern? Has anyone tried running the FaceID process with a mask on to see what happens?
    Currently it is important to have enough points on the ID mapping to be able to contrast what comes back off the sensors.

Practically everyone who uses 3D depth sensing (including Apple) has looked into and failed to get around the mask problem because there aren't enough points available through existing setups.

Perhaps increasing the resolution of the scan on newer arrays might allow for better readings of what typically is left visible when wearing a mask. 

It is also possible to take biometrics from different devices at the same time to authenticate a user. 

• Reply 7 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    KBuffett said:
    And you’re too slow at critical thinking. Let’s all take a moment to remember the last thing they released that was completely half-baked and how that went over. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Apple already has Face ID that works with masks. I was surprised last summer when Face ID suddenly learned how to recognize me while I was wearing my mask. Unfortunately, it stopped working when I upgraded my phone from iPhone 12 to iPhone 13 (probably because of OS changes). 
  • Reply 9 of 15
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    How long before an Apple Mask shows up with complete compatibility with Face ID?   Each mask would get paired with your iPhone.   All that said I really hope for Touch ID to return ASAP.  It’s just so simple to use and works at many angles when you hold your phone.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    longfanglongfang Posts: 452member
    lonestar1 said:
    Apple already has Face ID that works with masks. I was surprised last summer when Face ID suddenly learned how to recognize me while I was wearing my mask. Unfortunately, it stopped working when I upgraded my phone from iPhone 12 to iPhone 13 (probably because of OS changes). 

So where did you get this iPhone 13 from?
    fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamapplguyricmacwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 11 of 15
    longfang said:
    lonestar1 said:

So where did you get this iPhone 13 from?
    Doc Brown. 
    ricmacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    If the camera can see through a mask it can also look through clothes, that might be one concern
    Look through what? It's not an X-ray machine...  It says the new cameras will create a composite render, not see through masks and clothes.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 13 of 15
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    This is hilarious, PatentlyApple completely misread this whole thing and thought this was a prototype case product to eliminate the notch:

https://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2021/08/if-youre-not-a-fan-of-the-iphones-camera-notch-wait-until-you-see-apples-latest-invention-to-address-this-issue.html
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Buy a Watch. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member
    Buy a Watch. 
    maybe we don’t wanna spend the few hundred dollars
    muthuk_vanalingam