Tim Cook wants to debut one more big product category before he retires

Posted:
in General Discussion
While CEO Tim Cook has previously said that he'd not be at Apple in a decade, sources say that he wants to roll out at least one more major new product category before he goes.

In the latest issue of Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter, Cook's future at Apple is discussed. The report again covers the timeline of Apple's next big rumored products, as well as a potential year of Cook's departure from Apple.

The report delves into the rumors that Apple has a virtual reality headset for 2022, and "Apple Glass" AR wearables at some point in the middle of the decade. It also discusses Apple's automotive efforts -- but there is no clear timetable on that.

"The belief inside Apple is that Cook just wants to stick around for one more major new product category, which is likely to be augmented reality glasses rather than a car -- something that's even further out," writes Gurman. "He also understands that running a Silicon Valley company is typically a young person's game, and he's not going to stay far beyond his prime."

In April, Cook was asked in an interview if he'd still be with Apple in a decade.

"Ten more years? Probably not," said Cook. "But I can tell you that I feel great right now and the date is not in sight. But ten more years is a long time -- and probably not ten more years."

Swisher asked what plans he had for after he leaves, and what he might do once Apple is behind him.

"I don't have a clue because I love this company so much, that it is hard to imagine my life without it," he said. "And so I don't think I will know that until after I'm not here. Because I think I will run so fast that I'll never really think about it until I'm not running anymore. Does that make any sense?"

Cook has been Apple's CEO for just over a decade, after a period of running the company during founder Steve Jobs' illness.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    I realize there are a good number of Cook fans here but I, for one, believe he cannot leave soon enough!
    pulseimagesdigitoldarkvaderelijahgpscooter63vedelppa
  • Reply 2 of 59
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    Interesting comment about Silicon Valley being young persons game.  What about experience being valuable to have in any field, not just Silicon Valley?   Anyway,  didn’t he just sell a massive amount of stock?  Thought I saw that.  Could that mean he is planning to get out,  soon?
    asdasd
  • Reply 3 of 59
    I do love cook, not only has he been good for the brand but he’s actually helped to action towards human rights and lgbtq rights. Not too many of those out there that can effect change and inspire others to know they too could become a ceo and also be gay.
    sireofsethScot1macxpresslkruppblastdoorfotoformattwokatmewn2itivguyAlex_Vradarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 59
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I realize there are a good number of Cook fans here but I, for one, believe he cannot leave soon enough!
    Why is that? Be very careful of what you ask for. So many companies have had great success and then got a new CEO and went straight to the crapper in a few years. You really cannot deny what he's done for Apple since taking on the CEO role. Yes, he's not Steve Jobs but if you expected anyone to ever be Steve Jobs you're going to always be disappointed in anyone that is CEO of Apple. 
    edited August 2021 KTRmuthuk_vanalingamtwokatmewspock1234n2itivguyAlex_Vviclauyycmike1applguyedred
  • Reply 5 of 59
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I do love cook, not only has he been good for the brand but he’s actually helped to action towards human rights and lgbtq rights. Not too many of those out there that can effect change and inspire others to know they too could become a ceo and also be gay.
    I agree...he I think is a rare breed where as a CEO he's very outspoken and tries to make a difference with issues such as LGBTQ rights, privacy issues, etc. I'm not sure Apple will ever get another CEO like that again. 
    fotoformattwokatmewn2itivguyAlex_Vradarthekatviclauyyc
  • Reply 6 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So state your reasons for Cook’s firing. Who will take his place? Jobs has been dead for ten years so that ain’t gonna happen. What has Cook done that offends you so? Do you want a CEO that takes the company back to niche status, irrelevancy, marginalization? Nostalgia for the past clouds some people’s minds. Apple is a completely different company ten years after the founder’s death. It’s doomed if it goes back in time.
    muthuk_vanalingamrobabaAlex_Vradarthekatviclauyycmike1applguydewmepscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 59
    It should have been home robots based on the technology Apple created to operate its automated factories all over the world ... but Apple did none of that. Cook is an amazing CEO. He has consistently created excellent products with amazing build quality and design containing some of the latest silicon on the market and got it produced in sufficient quantities to satisfy the market and released them on time year after year. Unfortunately he never had the kind of vision for the future that Steve Jobs did. Cook never disrupted the market the way Jobs did routinely. The lack of a $300 Mac Nano which would have moved Apple's 8% computer market share to 25% is the clearest evidence of this fact.
    elijahg
  • Reply 8 of 59
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    M68000 said:
    Interesting comment about Silicon Valley being young persons game.  What about experience being valuable to have in any field, not just Silicon Valley?   Anyway,  didn’t he just sell a massive amount of stock?  Thought I saw that.  Could that mean he is planning to get out,  soon?
    He recently sold $750 million worth but the Board also gave him more stock options to stay on another 4 years.
    spock1234Alex_Vradarthekat
  • Reply 9 of 59
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    Why is that.
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Let’s hope he does not plan to leave soon.  I give it another 5 years, when he hits 65
  • Reply 11 of 59
    lkrupp said:
    So state your reasons for Cook’s firing. Who will take his place? Jobs has been dead for ten years so that ain’t gonna happen. What has Cook done that offends you so? Do you want a CEO that takes the company back to niche status, irrelevancy, marginalization? Nostalgia for the past clouds some people’s minds. Apple is a completely different company ten years after the founder’s death. It’s doomed if it goes back in time.
    Well said my friend.  I’m sure cook have his replacement in mind.  Personally, I think it will be the COO.  Jeff Williams 
    Alex_V
  • Reply 12 of 59
    I don’t think apple cares about market share.  They would have to settle for smaller margins.  And they would have to use cheap material to increase their margins.  Just my opinions.  Look at dell and Hp.  They reported there respectively QT EARNINGS.  Apple did 81.4 billion in revenue.
    spock1234Alex_Vradarthekat
  • Reply 13 of 59
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    It should have been home robots based on the technology Apple created to operate its automated factories all over the world ... but Apple did none of that. Cook is an amazing CEO. He has consistently created excellent products with amazing build quality and design containing some of the latest silicon on the market and got it produced in sufficient quantities to satisfy the market and released them on time year after year. Unfortunately he never had the kind of vision for the future that Steve Jobs did. Cook never disrupted the market the way Jobs did routinely. The lack of a $300 Mac Nano which would have moved Apple's 8% computer market share to 25% is the clearest evidence of this fact.
    What’s clear to me is that you have offered zero evidence to suggest that a $300 Mac Nano (is offered) would significantly increase the Mac market share let alone skyrocket it to 25%.  I believe that it’s current plan to push the performance envelope, while maintaining a pro-sumer market strategy and building out a more robust handheld market will continue to gain market share worldwide.
    spock1234radarthekatviclauyycmike1roundaboutnowfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 59
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    M68000 said:
    Yeah, I call BS on that. The advantage of youth is single minded focus and a willingness to work crazy hours. No doubt there is value in that. But when you combine experience, that can only come with age, with intelligence, and an ability to communicate, what you can end up with is something extremely valuable: wisdom. Youth and wisdom have never gone together.

just look at Steve Jobs – – he was a vastly better leader when he was older than when he was younger. if he had lived, I would stick with him as CEO until he were 80.
    spock1234radarthekatviclauyyc
  • Reply 15 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    But Steve Jobs didn't release a Mac Nano either?  

I'd also venture that a $300 Apple computer would be a piece of shit and wouldn't earn them any significant market share, if any at all.
    spock1234Alex_Vradarthekatroundaboutnowfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 59
    robaba said:
    What’s clear to me is that you have offered zero evidence to suggest that a $300 Mac Nano (is offered) would significantly increase the Mac market share let alone skyrocket it to 25%.  I believe that it’s current plan to push the performance envelope, while maintaining a pro-sumer market strategy and building out a more robust handheld market will continue to gain market share worldwide.
    Because (duh) it's price to performance ratio would be well outside of anything a current Intel or AMD PC could achieve. I can run GTA V on Windows 11 with Parallels on my M1 Mac Mini at playable frame rates. Native games would run a lot faster.
    elijahg
  • Reply 17 of 59
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    robaba said:
    Because (duh) it's price to performance ratio would be well outside of anything a current Intel or AMD PC could achieve. I can run GTA V on Windows 11 with Parallels on my M1 Mac Mini at playable frame rates. Native games would run a lot faster.
    Hardware is important and nice but Windows won the business world.  Big and small corporations know only to use Windows and developers code important and custom apps for them.  There is no sign of the elephant in the room (windows) going anywhere or away anytime soon.  Oh - and Microsoft has a new cash cow called Office 365 to go with it.  Apple is now as huge as it is because of the “grand slam homerun” they hit - better known as iPhone.  And not because of desktops\laptops.
    robabaAlex_V
  • Reply 18 of 59
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,719member
    One more category? 

Easy. He’s already been working on it for the past 7 years. 

The car. 

The man has done the impossible after succeeding rockstar Jobs. He’s actually made the company immensely MORE successful. I can’t imagine s as my other CEO doing what he’s done. Apple better have multiple understanding shadowing him every day. He’s very underappreciated right now, but when he’s gone, it will be a sad sad day. 
    edited August 2021 spock1234Alex_Vradarthekatviclauyycpscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Hey OctoMonkey, where are you? You haven’t responded to requests to explain your comment. Or are you one of those single post trolls who come into a thread, drop a turd on the floor, and leave? Okay, so you are a troll I guess.
    Alex_VradarthekatDAalsethmike1applguyroundaboutnowpscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 59
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Apple has done well. Nobody can beat Cook at the supply chain game. But everyone has misfires, Jobs certainly had quite a few. In the last ten years I would list:
    any Mac 2016 to 2019.
    ipad OS.
    no displays
    no routers, mesh networks, home automation sucks tbh.
    homepod
    airpods max
    ATV neglect
    sky high margins.

on the wins
    airpods and airpods pro
    Apple Watch
    Apple silicon, although we have yet to see full realisation of promise.
    skyhigh margins
    edited August 2021 digitoldewmeelijahg