Tim Cook wants to debut one more big product category before he retires

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Cook is a great CEO, no doubt about that. I think his new product category will be Virtual Reality and an Apple ‘multiverse’. 

Cook only made two mistakes, namely:

1. letting Jony Ives take ‘minimalism’ too far at Apple, which resulted in the ridiculous buttery keyboard and the removal of essential ports from Macbooks. 

2. Allowing the CSAM privacy backdoor on the iPhone, which contradicts Apple’s entire commitment to privacy. 

But no CEO is perfect. 
    twokatmewentropysdigitolviclauyyc
  • Reply 22 of 59
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    robaba said:
    It should have been home robots based on the technology Apple created to operate its automated factories all over the world ... but Apple did none of that. Cook is an amazing CEO. He has consistently created excellent products with amazing build quality and design containing some of the latest silicon on the market and got it produced in sufficient quantities to satisfy the market and released them on time year after year. Unfortunately he never had the kind of vision for the future that Steve Jobs did. Cook never disrupted the market the way Jobs did routinely. The lack of a $300 Mac Nano which would have moved Apple's 8% computer market share to 25% is the clearest evidence of this fact.
    What’s clear to me is that you have offered zero evidence to suggest that a $300 Mac Nano (is offered) would significantly increase the Mac market share let alone skyrocket it to 25%.  I believe that it’s current plan to push the performance envelope, while maintaining a pro-sumer market strategy and building out a more robust handheld market will continue to gain market share worldwide.
    Because (duh) it's price to performance ratio would be well outside of anything a current Intel or AMD PC could achieve. I can run GTA V on Windows 11 with Parallels on my M1 Mac Mini at playable frame rates. Native games would run a lot faster.
    Not sure $300 even covers the cost of an M1 SiP right now.  In 5 years?  Ok, but by then it’s advantage will be gone.  Apple can’t play at $300 unless you want the to burn through cash-in-hand to buy market share.  And then what?  Continue to burn through cash trying to support  25% of a market that appears to be shrinking?  Not sure when the winning is supposed to start.
    edited August 2021 spock1234roundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 59
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    The lack of a $300 Mac Nano which would have moved Apple's 8% computer market share to 25% is the clearest evidence of this fact.
    We don’t know how to make a $500 computer that’s not a piece of junk. Our DNA will not let us do that.”
    – Steve Jobs
    spock1234Alex_Vradarthekatviclauyycroundaboutnowfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 59
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    takeo said:
    The lack of a $300 Mac Nano which would have moved Apple's 8% computer market share to 25% is the clearest evidence of this fact.
    We don’t know how to make a $500 computer that’s not a piece of junk. Our DNA will not let us do that.”
    – Steve Jobs

Yet the AppleTV sells for $199 with an A12 and 64Gb of could run a desktop OS somewhere between Mac and iOS and the product has all the hardware to run what would be a pretty solid experience in that market range.  iPad with keyboard and same processor sells under $500.

This is why it surprises me we never saw iCloud develop into a standalone experience and platform. Sure wouldn't be full MacOS but could be the Desktop like experience that would serve the market a $500 computer would be aimed at. It would be a cross-over that would mean iPads pulled into a second screen could offer many customers more computing options than they need. Could be a managed Mac add subscription service to it that like-new windows365.

edited August 2021 spock1234elijahg
  • Reply 25 of 59
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    One more big product category? Where was his first?  Nada, nothing, zip, zilch. I just hope whoever succeeds this coook, is someone who actually knows, uses,  Apple products, to the point they have things created out of necessity. Kinda like Jobs, and the creation of keynote for keynotes.  Think on that one. 
    OctoMonkeyelijahg
  • Reply 26 of 59
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    digitol said:
    One more big product category? Where was his first?  Nada, nothing, zip, zilch. I just hope whoever succeeds this coook, is someone who actually knows, uses,  Apple products, to the point they have things created out of necessity. Kinda like Jobs, and the creation of keynote for keynotes.  Think on that one. 
    There are countless pics of Cook wearing (aka: using) an Apple Watch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tim+cook+wearing+apple+watch

There are countless pics of Cook wearing (aka: using) an Apple AirPods.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tim+cook+wearing+airpods

Think on that one.
    edited August 2021 spock1234thtfastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 59
    M68000 said:
    Interesting comment about Silicon Valley being young persons game.  What about experience being valuable to have in any field, not just Silicon Valley?   Anyway,  didn’t he just sell a massive amount of stock?  Thought I saw that.  Could that mean he is planning to get out,  soon?
    that was a performance-based/dependent 10-year esop of some sort, i believe. i received those specifically for achieving a predetermined set of company financial goals
  • Reply 28 of 59
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    digitol said:
    Ignorance really is bliss, isn't it?
    radarthekatroundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 59
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I realize there are a good number of Cook fans here but I, for one, believe he cannot leave soon enough!
    What’s your reason for wanting to exit the guy who was at the helm during a period when the company rocketed to 10x its value, survived and thrived under constant attack by dozens of competing companies in the smartphone, tablet and PC markets, offset its carbon emissions, advanced the state of the art in each of the three aforementioned product categories, and became the software platform monster than some of us predicted it would be?  
    mike1roundaboutnowfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 59
    I realize there are a good number of Cook fans here but I, for one, believe he cannot leave soon enough!
    What’s your reason for wanting to exit the guy who was at the helm during a period when the company rocketed to 10x its value, survived and thrived under constant attack by dozens of competing companies in the smartphone, tablet and PC markets, offset its carbon emissions, advanced the state of the art in each of the three aforementioned product categories, and became the software platform monster than some of us predicted it would be?  
    Also bankrolled research and development of 5 nm, then 3 nm process node chip designs which greatly benefitted the whole tech industry by paying in advance its CPU orders. In a way, they are subsidising TMC.
    radarthekatroundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 59
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    takeo said:
    – Steve Jobs

And Jobs was a known liar.  That statement was made about the time Apple released the first Mac mini at $499.

Apple didn't know how to make a $500 computer in 1984.  These days they know exactly how to make them, they do make them, and then they sell them for closer to $2000 because they can get away with it.

OctoMonkeyelijahg
  • Reply 32 of 59
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    digitol said:

Umm, How about the Watch? Zero to market  domination pretty damn quickly.
    roundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 59
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    digitol said:
    Cook has been at Apple since 1998. There have been plenty of big products since then.
    roundaboutnowfastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 59
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    KTR said:
    lkrupp said:
    So state your reasons for Cook’s firing. Who will take his place? Jobs has been dead for ten years so that ain’t gonna happen. What has Cook done that offends you so? Do you want a CEO that takes the company back to niche status, irrelevancy, marginalization? Nostalgia for the past clouds some people’s minds. Apple is a completely different company ten years after the founder’s death. It’s doomed if it goes back in time.
    Well said my friend.  I’m sure cook have his replacement in mind.  Personally, I think it will be the COO.  Jeff Williams 

Just piling on your insightful theme.

It's all about having the right person at the right time in the evolution of the company.

In Geoffrey Moore product adoption terminology, Steve's return essentially reset all of Apple' products back to the Innovation and Early Adoption phases. Steve pushed Apple as a whole over the Chasm with the iPhone, iTunes, App Store, and iPad. Steve handed off the reigns to Tim at a point when most of the "Steve Products" were entering their Early Majority phase. Tim's expertise in operations and execution has taken all of these products over the hump into the Late Majority phase while enjoying unparalleled sales and profitability.

You could not ask for a better follow-through, sustainment, and growth for the products that Steve handed off to Tim. Tim nailed the follow-through and maximized the return on every investment that Steve made while using strategy and tactics that Tim owned.

On the "Tim Products" side we have the Apple Watch and AirPods following the same path, crossing the chasm, climbing the hill, and dominating. At the same time, Tim has embarked on a massive reinvestment of the core of several Apple product lines with Apple Silicon. In the product adoption lifecycle, the M1 products still sit at the Innovation and Early Adoption phases, but once Intel is fully jettisoned, which I'd align with crossing the chasm, I fully expect Apple Silicon based products to climb their adoption curves and dominate.

If I was Tim Cook, seeing the Apple Silicon products across the board reach early majority adoption would be one of the signs that signal that it's a good time to hand off to the next person who will steer the ship. It may not be the only one. I'd imagine that Tim would want to set the table for his successor while there is still time to allow the successor to inject his or her own strategy and tactics that apply at the point in time when the successor takes over, just like Steve did with Tim.
    radarthekatfastasleeppscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 59
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    henrybay said:
    Cook is a great CEO, no doubt about that. I think his new product category will be Virtual Reality and an Apple ‘multiverse’. 

Cook only made two mistakes, namely:

1. letting Jony Ives take ‘minimalism’ too far at Apple, which resulted in the ridiculous buttery keyboard and the removal of essential ports from Macbooks. 

2. Allowing the CSAM privacy backdoor on the iPhone, which contradicts Apple’s entire commitment to privacy. 

But no CEO is perfect. 
    I agree with #1, but I'm not sure about #2 -- we don't know yet how that will play out.

I'd put as #2:  overestimating the number of customers for whom the iPad could replace the Mac, and allowing Mac development to languish as a result. Apple appears back on track with the Mac now, but really Apple Silicon should have come to the Mac in 2017, not 2020. 
    thtelijahg
  • Reply 36 of 59
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    M68000 said:
    robaba said:
    It should have been home robots based on the technology Apple created to operate its automated factories all over the world ... but Apple did none of that. Cook is an amazing CEO. He has consistently created excellent products with amazing build quality and design containing some of the latest silicon on the market and got it produced in sufficient quantities to satisfy the market and released them on time year after year. Unfortunately he never had the kind of vision for the future that Steve Jobs did. Cook never disrupted the market the way Jobs did routinely. The lack of a $300 Mac Nano which would have moved Apple's 8% computer market share to 25% is the clearest evidence of this fact.
    What’s clear to me is that you have offered zero evidence to suggest that a $300 Mac Nano (is offered) would significantly increase the Mac market share let alone skyrocket it to 25%.  I believe that it’s current plan to push the performance envelope, while maintaining a pro-sumer market strategy and building out a more robust handheld market will continue to gain market share worldwide.
    Because (duh) it's price to performance ratio would be well outside of anything a current Intel or AMD PC could achieve. I can run GTA V on Windows 11 with Parallels on my M1 Mac Mini at playable frame rates. Native games would run a lot faster.
    Hardware is important and nice but Windows won the business world.  Big and small corporations know only to use Windows and developers code important and custom apps for them.  There is no sign of the elephant in the room (windows) going anywhere or away anytime soon.  Oh - and Microsoft has a new cash cow called Office 365 to go with it.  Apple is now as huge as it is because of the “grand slam homerun” they hit - better known as iPhone.  And not because of desktops\laptops.
    100% This.
    dewme
  • Reply 37 of 59
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    M68000 said:
    Interesting comment about Silicon Valley being young persons game.  What about experience being valuable to have in any field, not just Silicon Valley?   Anyway,  didn’t he just sell a massive amount of stock?  Thought I saw that.  Could that mean he is planning to get out,  soon?
    I don't think he meant that young and inexperienced.  Maybe just younger than him by 15 years plus minus?
  • Reply 38 of 59
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    If there is no Apple home robot, that means the technology is not there yet.  And I mean practical, useable technology that a regular person can use/operate easily.

A Mac at $300 is a non-starter.  It won't even pay for the tech and customer support for the product.  On top of that, something priced that low, they're in danger of attracting a lot of tech hobbyists and tinkerers, a customer segment that doesn't like to spend a lot, demands a lot of tech support when their tinkering goes awry, is easily dissatisfied with the product, and complains the loudest when dissatisfied.  Same reason the eternally longed-for mid-priced Mac mini-tower is never going to happen.  
    edited August 2021 fastasleepmattinozpscooter63
  • Reply 39 of 59
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Restoring the 3.5 analog audio jack will ensure he leaves with a bang. It's that simple.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    lkrupp said:
    So state your reasons for Cook’s firing. Who will take his place?
    Steve Ballmer!
    TRAG