Hyper's new USB-C Hubs upgrade your 24-inch iMac

Posted:
in General Discussion
Add additional functionality to your 24-inch iMac with Hyper's new HyperDrive hubs that provide USB-A, SD, and fast-charge capabilities.

Hyper has come up with a clever solution to the paucity of the 24-inch iMac ports, and the location on the back -- a clip-on user-facing hub that attaches to the bottom of the iMac. Not only does this provide users with front-facing access to ports, but it also expands the type of ports you have access to.

There are currently two models hubs available, the HyperDrive 5-in-1 and HyperDrive 6-in-1, which each feature the following ports:

HyperDrive 5-in-1 for iMac 2021
  • 2 USB-C 5Gbps

• 2 USB-A 5Gbps

• USB-A 5Gbps 7.5W (fast charge)

• The HyperDrive 6-in-1 Hub provides an additional HDMI slot at the back

HyperDrive 6-in-1 for iMac 2021
    • 4K 60Hz HDMI

• Micro SD USH-I

• SD UHS-I

• USB-C 10Gbps

• USB-A 10Gbps

• USB-A 10Gbps 7.5W (fast charge)
    Seven color matching faceplates are included, so users can pick the perfect one to blend in with your iMac.

Anyone interested in grabbing their own HyperDrive Hub for the 24-inch iMac can head over to Hyper. The HyperDrive 5-in-1 for iMac 2021 is available for $59.99, and the HyperDrive 6-in-1 for iMac 2021 is available for $79.99. Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Would have been nice to include Ethernet port so base models can be hardwired. Not sure how much Apple’s power brick with Ethernet costs separately. 

Are these hubs attached with sticky tape? Guess once it’s on it stays on. Thought some of these docks/hubs attached directly to the USB-C ports instead of using a cable. 

edited: My bad, it uses a clamp system, which is a great idea. I couldn't find the 5-1 Hub for anything much less an iMac on their website.
    6-port *Pre-Orders purchased now are planned to ship starting 09/10.*
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Since when is USB A 7.5W considered fast charge?

Does anyone know how many watts you can get from the 24” iMac USB C ports?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    DangDave said:

Does anyone know how many watts you can get from the 24” iMac USB C ports?
    More than 7.5W, but keep in mind that hub has to split the power amongst all the other ports as well as the internal hardware for conversion to HDMI, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rob53 said:
    Would have been nice to include Ethernet port so base models can be hardwired. Not sure how much Apple’s power brick with Ethernet costs separately. 

Are these hubs attached with sticky tape? Guess once it’s on it stays on. Thought some of these docks/hubs attached directly to the USB-C ports instead of using a cable. 

edited: My bad, it uses a clamp system, which is a great idea. I couldn't find the 5-1 Hub for anything much less an iMac on their website.
    6-port *Pre-Orders purchased now are planned to ship starting 09/10.*
    The thing is a clamp.
    Look at the photo of the back. The front panel is split and the big knurled silver knob tightens it. 
    Simple and effective.

I have a couple of Hyper USB-C docks. One with Ethernet for my MacBook Pro and another with an SD Card reader and HDMI for my iPad Pro.
    They're nicely made and work flawlessly.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    rob53 said:
    I think it’s $30 to get the Ethernet power brick at the time of purchase but I agree. It’s sad that after spending $1500 on a desktop you have to spend another $50-70 to get a reasonable number of ports. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    As much as I like the new iMac design, even more that previously, not placing any front-accessible ports is just unconscionable…especially since the sides are now flat and reasonably thick enough to support a pair of USB-C/TB4 ports and an SD Card reader. $30 for the Ethernet brick is fine. I hope that the 30” iMacs will offer 10GBe.

I have the similar hub for my iMac Pro, and it’s so useful. I’d get this immediately if I got the 24” iMac. 👍
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    AniMill said:
    As much as I like the new iMac design, even more that previously, not placing any front-accessible ports is just unconscionable…especially since the sides are now flat and reasonably thick enough to support a pair of USB-C/TB4 ports and an SD Card reader.
    Most people never plug anything into their computers more than once. You know how easy it is to turn these things around when you need to now?
    F_Kent_Dwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    AniMill said:
    As much as I like the new iMac design, even more that previously, not placing any front-accessible ports is just unconscionable…especially since the sides are now flat and reasonably thick enough to support a pair of USB-C/TB4 ports and an SD Card reader.
    Most people never plug anything into their computers more than once. You know how easy it is to turn these things around when you need to now?
    source? I plug things in all the time. Others I know do so as well. Do you know how annoying it is to have to turn the computer and crane your neck around to find the USB port because Apple was too concerned about looks to make them accessible?
    jony0
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    MplsP said:
    AniMill said:
    source? I plug things in all the time. Others I know do so as well. Do you know how annoying it is to have to turn the computer and crane your neck around to find the USB port because Apple was too concerned about looks to make them accessible?
    Source is real world experience providing Mac support in a few offices I've worked in, and common sense. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but people in tech forums tend to incorrectly assume their behaviors/use cases are similar to the bulk of regular consumers. They're not. Most people don't use external hard drives or use wired peripherals in general these days. If they have anything plugged into the jacks on the back, they're usually set up once (speakers or headphones/ethernet/a lightning cable for their peripherals and iPhone). Or even for heavier users, something like a USB audio interface, stuff like that gets plugged in once. Again, not ALL but MOST PEOPLE have no need to be plugging/unplugging things from a desktop computer often. 

If you need constant access to ports, there are a number of docks (such as this one!) to modify your situation. How stupid would it look to have all the ports on the front of the iMac with a bunch of shit sticking out of 'em? Very. Apple made the correct decision.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    DangDave said:

We’ll, I believe the Apple white cube charger is 5w so 7.5w is fast charge.  It is not any of the later levels of faster than fast charge :)

watto_cobra