Apple's share price closes at new record high of $153.12

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited September 2021
Apple's stock price has closed at a new record high of $153.12 on Monday, following an intraday trading rally.

Credit: WikiMedia Commons
Credit: WikiMedia Commons

The company's stock price climbed 2.75% in trading on Aug. 30. Shares of Apple climbed as high as $153.49 in intraday trading before closing at the new record. Apple's share price has climbed 18.325% since the start of 2021. Wednesday's closing price broke the previous record close of $151.12, which was set earlier in August.

Additionally, the Cupertino tech giant's market capitalization, which is reached by multiplying the stock price but the number of outstanding shares, reached $2.53 trillion.

The Apple rally comes amid rumors that the upcoming "iPhone 13" lineup could support satellite communications. It also comes days after Apple announced a settlement with developers that included new App Store policies, such as loosened rules on app makers communicating directly with their users.

Analysts expect Apple to debut new devices like the "iPhone 13" and the redesigned "Apple Watch Series 7" at a keynote event in the latter half of September. Current forecasts suggest that the iPhone event could take place in the third week of the month.

Apple blew away Wall Street expectations in the June quarter, reporting across-the-board growth and record high Q3 revenue of $81.4 billion.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    No doubt the first 1 and 2 trillion dollar companies will also be 
    the first 3 trillion dollar companies. 

edited August 2021
  • Reply 2 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The Apple rally comes amid rumors that the upcoming "iPhone 13" lineup could support satellite communications. It also comes days after Apple announced a settlement with developers that included new App Store policies, such as loosened rules on app makers communicating directly with their users.

Buy on the rumour, sell on the news.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I believe this line should have read: Monday’s closing price broke the previous record close of $151.12, which was set earlier in August.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I'm always happy to read stories like this one.

Sincerely-
    Apple stock holder. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Motley Fool thinks it’s due to the $5 billion increase that Google is paying Apple to stay the default iOS search engine. That makes a lot more sense than the gain from satellite connections to me.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/08/30/why-apple-stock-jumped-to-new-all-time-high-today/
    Scot1
  • Reply 6 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    entropys said:
    The Apple rally comes amid rumors that the upcoming "iPhone 13" lineup could support satellite communications. It also comes days after Apple announced a settlement with developers that included new App Store policies, such as loosened rules on app makers communicating directly with their users.

Heh, what's funny is, over the years, closely following a company like Apple... and then trying to figure out what the heck *might* be influencing the stock price, but often finding no correlation (or the pricing going opposite of what it should be).

Same as I've started following crypto a bit. It really highlights the people side of economics (vs the math/science side), where we must be pretty irrational creatures.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member
    tipoo said:

we’re gonna see when tesla reaches it
  • Reply 8 of 13
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Motley Fool thinks it’s due to the $5 billion increase that Google is paying Apple to stay the default iOS search engine. That makes a lot more sense than the gain from satellite connections to me.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/08/30/why-apple-stock-jumped-to-new-all-time-high-today/
    Just random fluctuations in the market. High supply of money needing somewhere to put it. 

Better than buying Bitcoin. 
    GeorgeBMaccgWerks
  • Reply 9 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Unless it all comes crashing down first. 
    Running multi-trillion dollar deficits, Printing 120Billion dollars a month and negative real interest rates is not a sustainable economic environment.

edited August 2021 muthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cgWerks said:
    entropys said:

Heh, what's funny is, over the years, closely following a company like Apple... and then trying to figure out what the heck *might* be influencing the stock price, but often finding no correlation (or the pricing going opposite of what it should be).

Same as I've started following crypto a bit. It really highlights the people side of economics (vs the math/science side), where we must be pretty irrational creatures.

"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
    cgWerks
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Running multi-trillion dollar deficits, Printing 120Billion dollars a month and negative real interest rates is not a sustainable economic environment.

They've proven pretty hardy against recessions and have the cash moat to survive most non apocalyptic downturns. With only .5 billion to go I'd put my money on them crossing 3 trillion soon, with the other suspects also likely to. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 13
    tipoo said:

They've proven pretty hardy against recessions and have the cash moat to survive most non apocalyptic downturns. With only .5 billion to go I'd put my money on them crossing 3 trillion soon, with the other suspects also likely to. 
    Yes, as a company they are pretty solid.   But most of their gains have been correlated with the rest of the stock market -- which has mostly been controlled by federal fiscal and monetary policy.  The S&P 500 has doubled over the past 5 years while GDP has only gained about 2% a year.

Personally, I don't care what Tim says -- Jerome holds the reins.

cgWerks
  • Reply 13 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    larryjw said:
    Just random fluctuations in the market. High supply of money needing somewhere to put it. 
    Better than buying Bitcoin. 
    True, but not necessarily regarding Bitcoin. Something like Bitcoin is going to have a huge future, it could just be some other crypto in the long-run.
    But, a lot of traditional investments might be in trouble when everything crashes... maybe even Apple.

GeorgeBMac said:
    Exactly. Then couple that with all the societal instability. I think at this point, it would take a miracle NOT to have a massive crash (or much worse) in the coming decades.

GeorgeBMac said:
    "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
    Me, yeah. But, overall, I think that idea is based on a pretty short history of relatively good times (yes, even including world wars and a lot of bad stuff). I don't think we've seen anything yet (nor have several generations). I sure hope I'm wrong, but I think we're looking at fall or Rome level stuff at least.

tipoo said:
    Except for those apocalyptic downturns, yeah. People are still going to need cars and computers (most likely), but such a shake-up could even shake up the currently most stable things, would be my guess.

GeorgeBMac said:
    ... But most of their gains have been correlated with the rest of the stock market -- which has mostly been controlled by federal fiscal and monetary policy. ...
    Yeah, that's more like I was trying to (maybe unsuccessfully) express earlier. While I'm far from any expertise in the field, when I watch the markets, or now cryptos, etc. they don't so much independently move. The entire field moves, based off events happening in the world that may or may not have much of any impact on the performance of individual stocks, companies, cryptos, etc.

As was said earlier, think of it more like people with huge pots of money they are trying to stick someplace, rather than looking at how/what XYZ Corp is actually doing. That's why I always liken it more to gambling than investment. Investment would be paying a lot more attention to what XYZ Corp is doing.