'Being James Bond' documentary coming to Apple TV on Sept. 7

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2021
Look back on five films and 15 years of Daniel Craig as 007 in "Being James Bond," premiering Sept. 7 in the Apple TV app.

'Being James Bond' coming to Apple TV
'Being James Bond' coming to Apple TV.

The documentary focuses on Daniel Craig and his years as the titular James Bond. The first look trailer shows a few behind the scenes moments with Craig saying the role turned his world upside down.

"Being James Bond" arrives before the theatrical release of "No Time To Die." It will feature never-before-seen footage from each of Craig's Bond films, including the latest installment.

The documentary is produced by MGM studios and has a runtime of 46 minutes. Producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli converse with Craig about his personal memories surrounding the role.

Amazon is in the process of acquiring MGM, and once complete its streaming service will have access to the entire "James Bond" catalog. This rental deal with Apple TV is only for a limited time, so it won't be affected by the potential merger.

Craig has some affinity for Apple, as he had previously contested the use of Android product placement in "Spectre" because "James Bond only uses the best." He felt James Bond would use an iPhone, not the placed Sony device.

Watch "Being James Bond" in the Apple TV app starting Sept. 7 as a free-to-stream rental selection.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that "Being James Bond" was due to arrive on Apple TV+. The film is slated to debut as a free streaming option in the Apple TV app.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Ah. The least interesting years of Bond. Ok...
    harry wild
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Daniel Craig in numerous interviews hate playing 007!  It was only the $$$ that kept him in the role.  While other actors enjoy being 007, Craig did not.  I think all the rest of the actors were bigger physically and looked the part in real life.  Craig hate the long process for him to workout to get in shape, the stunt work and injuries that occur.  Craig is no Tom Cruise!  Cruise stay in shape year around like a pro athlete. Cruise is known to be an idol to stunt professionals.
    edited August 2021 Appleish
  • Reply 3 of 12
    That’s an odd date, Apple TV plus new content usually debuts on a Friday.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Yet to actually watch James Bond you have to go elsewhere because Apple did not acquire MGM.

I would have scrapped the whole idea. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Must be to coincide with the launch of the new iPhone! Maybe Bond finally upgrades from Android? 😄🤣🙃 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    A friend of mine is a massive Bond fan. He hates Craig's Bond. Says he's not at all handsome or debonair like a jet-setting spy should be and is downright thuggish.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Must be to coincide with the launch of the new iPhone! Maybe Bond finally upgrades from Android? 😄🤣🙃 
    It would be a heavily modified iPhone for Bond. iPhone 007 Pro Max.
    hucom2000watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Apple really should have bought the MGM catalogue just for Bond.

Agree with your mate, Charles. Craig is also way too old. It’s creepy the babes are supposed to be interested.
    Mind you, I don’t want a Roger Moore type either. 
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 9 of 12
    A friend of mine is a massive Bond fan. He hates Craig's Bond. Says he's not at all handsome or debonair like a jet-setting spy should be and is downright thuggish.
    I found the change in the character to be interesting - a focus more on the action and the up-close nature of the work rather than the more refined version portrayed in the earlier films. I also found the Timothy Dalton films intriguing, for the psychological damage and darkness the character displayed (plus, of course, the final villain in "The Living Daylights" being the actor who took on the role of Felix Leiter in the Pierce Brosnan films - Joe Don Baker).

My wife, and a lot of other James Bond fans, have told me that these are their two least favourite actors for the character. But I see them as adding nuance to the tapestry of the story - at some times dark and gritty, at other times witty and charming - and have been very happy to watch the series unfold.

It will be interesting, nevertheless, to watch this documentary and learn more about how Mr Craig has approached the role. He needed to be convinced to stay on past the original three films of his first contract, and had concerns about the "topless" scene at the beach; I want to know what other misgivings he had and what drew him to (and kept him in) the role.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    It's being release on Sept 007. Makes sense to me, even if weak marketing.

Additionally, while we currently view September as the 9th month, it's name is derived from the Latin word for seven for originally being the seventh month of the Roman year.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Apple sure seem to be putting out a lot of meta-content.  Maybe it's just me, but I think people are more interested in original content.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    For those James Bond fans, do visit Spy museums in NYC and Washington D.C. They are very cool museums with so many real life gadgets and intriguing stories. The one in DC has more contents though. But the one in NYC has larger sections devoted to James Bonds and especially the breakdown of Aston Martin car.
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra