'9/11: Inside the President's War Room' begins streaming on Apple TV+

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A 90-minute documentary analysing President George W. Bush and his staff's actions during 9/11, has begun streaming on Apple TV+.

'9/11: Inside the President's War Room' covers the attack 20 years later
'9/11: Inside the President's War Room' covers the attack 20 years later

Made in conjunction with the BBC, "9/11: Inside the President's War Room" follows the first twelve hours after the attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

The 90-minute documentary was released first on the BBC One in the UK, airing on August 31, 2021, and thereafter on the BBC's iPlayer streaming service. It's now available worldwide on Apple TV+, except in the UK where it will remain a BBC exclusive for an unspecified period.

"A first draft of history and a claustrophobic clock-ticking thriller," says the BBC's listing, "this film tells the story of the presidency on arguably the most consequential day in recent history."

It features interviews with President Bush, Vice-President Dick Cheney, plus National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice. Alongside recounting the events and examining the immediate response, the film also looks to how 9/11 "led to two decades of conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Can’t see it?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Can’t see it?
    I can see it. And the first half of the show is pretty sobering so far. It doesn't feel like it has a political agenda.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    This seems to be a first for Apple TV+. Since Apple‘s video subscription service started in November 2019,  I can remember new content being released only on a Friday.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Can’t see it?
    I can see it. And the first half of the show is pretty sobering so far. It doesn't feel like it has a political agenda.

The entire 9/11 debacle has been politicized - for the past 20 years all the way through 8/31/21.  And the signs are that it will be a political football in at least the next two elections as the U.S. decides what its role in the world can be and should be -- with multiple ideologic and religious based arguments adding fuel to that fire.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Apple TV+ in Brazil: it's searchable and available, but unlisted on the catalog.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    So no mention of Cheney's cronies dismantling Middle-East intelligence operations in the first nine months of 2001 or Condi Rice going out of her way to hide reports on bin Laden connections to plans to attack targets with aircraft?

Sounds like total fluff. Pass.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacbaconstangronn
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Can’t see it?
    As long it’s not an invasion justification piece. I’d like another light-hearted Tom Hanks movie to enlighten us as to why al-Qaeda was formed in the first place and what they we responding to.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Can’t see it?

The entire 9/11 debacle has been politicized - for the past 20 years all the way through 8/31/21.  And the signs are that it will be a political football in at least the next two elections as the U.S. decides what its role in the world can be and should be -- with multiple ideologic and religious based arguments adding fuel to that fire.
    I think it’s role has been clear all along; stamp out all other ideologies and replace them with its own, ‘nicely’ at first and when that fails ‘not-so nicely’. The bigger question is, what is The World going to do about it?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    Appleish said:
    So no mention of Cheney's cronies dismantling Middle-East intelligence operations in the first nine months of 2001 or Condi Rice going out of her way to hide reports on bin Laden connections to plans to attack targets with aircraft?

Sounds like total fluff. Pass.
    All that happened in the first 12 hours after the attack? No? Then it's not part of this very focused documentary.
    hucom2000watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mcdave said:
    Can’t see it?

I think it’s role has been clear all along; stamp out all other ideologies and replace them with its own, ‘nicely’ at first and when that fails ‘not-so nicely’. The bigger question is, what is The World going to do about it?

I like to think that we learned a lesson in Afghanistan.
    But then I thought that about Vietnam
    And then I thought it about Iraq

maybe third time is the charm?
    baconstang
  • Reply 11 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Can’t see it?
    ... the first half of the show is pretty sobering so far. It doesn't feel like it has a political agenda.

I watched most of it last night.  And, much to my surprise it did seem to be apolitical.  But I also found it bothersome:

First, it brought back memories of how I had predicted a a terrorist attack.  It wasn't that I so prescient.  It was that Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld were stoking a volatile middle east and taking sides against Islamists who had done us no harm -- suggesting that they were part of their "Axis of Evil".  I remember thinking "STFU!  You're going to have them attacking us next!".   And, they did.

Second, I was shocked at how inept we were in dealing with this crisis -- where our highest levels were getting their intelligence from NBC -- and couldn't even do that because their TV and phones weren't working!   Or that there was no plan in place on how to protect the president in such a situation and, instead, they were making it up as they went.   Or, the secure room in the White House that the higher ups retreated to didn't have enough ventilation to support them.   In the age of nuclear weapons, hadn't anybody thought of that?

Third, Their true nature came out when they declared "This is war!" when they didn't even know who we were at war with or any clear reason why other than revenge (which is not a great reason).   Perhaps like most bullies, they were just covering up their own incompetence with false bravado.  And, perhaps that explains all the mistakes that followed and shaped the world for the next two decades.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mcdave said:
    Can’t see it?

I like to think that we learned a lesson in Afghanistan.
    But then I thought that about Vietnam
    And then I thought it about Iraq

maybe third time is the charm?
    Third? Syria? Libya? Iran? what country has been ‘visited’