Apple reveals first states to use Apple Wallet for ID, driver's licence

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 63
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 819member
    Xed said:
    JFC_PA said:
    d-rey said:
    loopless said:
    d-rey said:
    Love the idea. I already use Apple Pay everywhere I can.  How do the state laws address this, though?  If I voluntarily hand law enforcement my phone to show them my ID, have I just given them the authority to go through it?  
    Its part of Apple Wallet, you just bring up your DL on the lock screen as you do with boarding passes, rail tickets etc. You do not unlock your phone.
    Yes, but with boarding passes, rail tickets, etc, I’m not actually giving my phone to law enforcement.  Even with the TSA, I’m placing my phone on a scanner and retrieving it.  I don’t actually hand it to the agent.  If I’m pulled over by a cop, they currently will take my license back to their squad car while they pull up my information in their system.  Are the police going to have a handheld scanner so I don’t have to relinquish possession of my phone?  Regardless of one’s overall feelings towards law enforcement, one has to acknowledge that some of them are not to be trusted.

    Now if there was a ‘cop mode’ that could be quickly enabled from Control Center that only presents ID’s & insurance cards, I might use it if it also locks the phone requiring a passcode to unlock the phone.  I think some courts have ruled that bio-metrics aren’t even considered protected like a passcode is.  Cops can’t make you give them your passcode without a warrant, but I believe at least in some jurisdictions, they don’t need a warrant to make you use touchID or FaceID to unlock your phone.
    Apple Wallet can be visible from “outside” a locked iPhone. So you wouldn’t be handing an unlocked iPhone to anyone. 

    That's one thing I don't like about it. It's an either/or solution for a complex sent of Wallet items. I'd like to be able choose which items can be shown in Wallet when the Lock Screen is enabled.
    Iirc that’s the case: you select what you want to be displayed in the Lock Screen. It’s opt-in. 

    • The Suggest on Lock Screen feature is turned off for that pass.”
    edited September 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Xed said:
    1) Most of those aren't the states I'd have thought would be first to support digital IDs.

    2) Even once this is enabled by the TSA the inconsistency of the TSA across airports will have me bring a physical ID with me for a very, very, very long time. Good as a backup, I guess.
    As someone who's had a digital ID license in Utah for a few months (admittedly I was part of the seconds group - the first publicly available one), I can say sometimes Utah does well in the tech arena. Not always, but there are certainly moments.

    With that said, having it in the Wallet is soooo much more convenient than the TestFlight (beta) app that's required now.

    Hopefully there will be a convenient way to show both the ID and your ticket in the Apple Wallet for the TSA. The way things are now, well, it wouldn't be drop dead simple (unless you had your ticket on your watch and your DL on your phone.)
    Most airlines now let you download your boarding pass right into the Apple wallet.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Difficult to be excited.
    MyColorado app does all of this for me.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 63
    rob53 said:
    Ah I guess Washington will be one of the last states, so anal
    I have a Washington state enhanced driver's license. It satisfies all the federal and state requirements and has an embedded chip so it can be used for ground transportation over the Canadian border. As far as I'm concerned, TSA needs to be shut down. We already have to deal with the Border Patrol up to 100 miles from any border, land or sea. As for having the user scan their ID, that's absolutely insane. This makes it an unofficial copy of a governmental ID. To do it right, the ID would need to come as an encrypted and signed electronic file that is stored in Apple's secure enclave. Accessing it would only be approved via Apple's NFC connection. I know current cards and passports are paper but if you're going to change things do it right.

    If these states are approving electronic IDs why won't they allow official vaccination documents? I've been wanting my entire medical history stored on my iPhone so I can quit filling out the same stupid forms at different medical provider's offices. 
    Agreed. Insurance cards, health documents, medical history, passports, ID’s all conveniently stored safe and sound in your Apple wallet. All of my medical history is stored in my Health ID which can be accessed by anyone in an emergency.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    XedXed Posts: 1,522member
    JFC_PA said:
    Xed said:
    JFC_PA said:
    d-rey said:
    loopless said:
    d-rey said:
    Love the idea. I already use Apple Pay everywhere I can.  How do the state laws address this, though?  If I voluntarily hand law enforcement my phone to show them my ID, have I just given them the authority to go through it?  
    Its part of Apple Wallet, you just bring up your DL on the lock screen as you do with boarding passes, rail tickets etc. You do not unlock your phone.
    Yes, but with boarding passes, rail tickets, etc, I’m not actually giving my phone to law enforcement.  Even with the TSA, I’m placing my phone on a scanner and retrieving it.  I don’t actually hand it to the agent.  If I’m pulled over by a cop, they currently will take my license back to their squad car while they pull up my information in their system.  Are the police going to have a handheld scanner so I don’t have to relinquish possession of my phone?  Regardless of one’s overall feelings towards law enforcement, one has to acknowledge that some of them are not to be trusted.

    Now if there was a ‘cop mode’ that could be quickly enabled from Control Center that only presents ID’s & insurance cards, I might use it if it also locks the phone requiring a passcode to unlock the phone.  I think some courts have ruled that bio-metrics aren’t even considered protected like a passcode is.  Cops can’t make you give them your passcode without a warrant, but I believe at least in some jurisdictions, they don’t need a warrant to make you use touchID or FaceID to unlock your phone.
    Apple Wallet can be visible from “outside” a locked iPhone. So you wouldn’t be handing an unlocked iPhone to anyone. 

    That's one thing I don't like about it. It's an either/or solution for a complex sent of Wallet items. I'd like to be able choose which items can be shown in Wallet when the Lock Screen is enabled.
    Iirc that’s the case: you select what you want to be displayed in the Lock Screen. It’s opt-in. 

    • The Suggest on Lock Screen feature is turned off for that pass.”
    I see that for passes but I don't see how to do that for cards. You still need the passcode or face to authenticate for a card, but I'd still like to show up at all (not show certain cards) if I wish, which is why I'd like more delineation with passes and cards in Settings.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 26 of 63
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 819member
    Xed said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Xed said:
    JFC_PA said:
    d-rey said:
    loopless said:
    d-rey said:
    Love the idea. I already use Apple Pay everywhere I can.  How do the state laws address this, though?  If I voluntarily hand law enforcement my phone to show them my ID, have I just given them the authority to go through it?  
    Its part of Apple Wallet, you just bring up your DL on the lock screen as you do with boarding passes, rail tickets etc. You do not unlock your phone.
    Yes, but with boarding passes, rail tickets, etc, I’m not actually giving my phone to law enforcement.  Even with the TSA, I’m placing my phone on a scanner and retrieving it.  I don’t actually hand it to the agent.  If I’m pulled over by a cop, they currently will take my license back to their squad car while they pull up my information in their system.  Are the police going to have a handheld scanner so I don’t have to relinquish possession of my phone?  Regardless of one’s overall feelings towards law enforcement, one has to acknowledge that some of them are not to be trusted.

    Now if there was a ‘cop mode’ that could be quickly enabled from Control Center that only presents ID’s & insurance cards, I might use it if it also locks the phone requiring a passcode to unlock the phone.  I think some courts have ruled that bio-metrics aren’t even considered protected like a passcode is.  Cops can’t make you give them your passcode without a warrant, but I believe at least in some jurisdictions, they don’t need a warrant to make you use touchID or FaceID to unlock your phone.
    Apple Wallet can be visible from “outside” a locked iPhone. So you wouldn’t be handing an unlocked iPhone to anyone. 

    That's one thing I don't like about it. It's an either/or solution for a complex sent of Wallet items. I'd like to be able choose which items can be shown in Wallet when the Lock Screen is enabled.
    Iirc that’s the case: you select what you want to be displayed in the Lock Screen. It’s opt-in. 

    • The Suggest on Lock Screen feature is turned off for that pass.”
    I see that for passes but I don't see how to do that for cards. You still need the passcode or face to authenticate for a card, but I'd still like to show up at all (not show certain cards) if I wish, which is why I'd like more delineation with passes and cards in Settings.
    Well, tbh, I agree I’m not handing my iPhone to any stranger so as long as there’s a physical card, anyone requiring they take an id off somewhere is getting handed the minimum they need: the physical card. And that’s whether it’s on an unbreachable Lock Screen or no. No one walks off with my iPhone. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 27 of 63
    "Designed in California.  Never to be implemented in California."
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 63
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,196member
    mwhite said:
    Arizona already has AZ mobile id with my drivers license on it.
    Arizona.  Woo hoo!  Who da thunk it?  😏
  • Reply 29 of 63
    602warren said:
    Xed said:
    1) Most of those aren't the states I'd have thought would be first to support digital IDs.

    2) Even once this is enabled by the TSA the inconsistency of the TSA across airports will have me bring a physical ID with me for a very, very, very long time. Good as a backup, I guess.
    Same. Never would have thought Arizona would be first in line. I live in Phoenix and it shocked me to read that. I’m excited for this update as it will allow me to carry one less thing around with me for every day errands. For traveling ill bring my ID as a backup for sure. The only thing keeping me tied to a physical wallet was the ID in case I got pulled over or it was needed as verification for an online order pickup. 98% of the stores I frequent use Apple Pay (the major exception being stupid Frys/Kroger) so carrying around just my phone/watch would be perfect. My major gripe is how long its going to take me to stop panicking that I’ve left my wallet somewhere and then remembering its just at home. Haha.
    I‘m curious as to how this will work in practice. I live in Phoenix also. I’m guessing it will take several years before retail/bank employees finally realize that you aren’t trying to pass off some fake ID to them. Also I’m not too keen on handing people my phone so they can scrutinize my ID, vs handing them an indestructible plastic card. I guess it’s nice as a backup, but since not everyplace takes Apple Pay (even though it’s been out, what, 6 years!) I’m still not leaving my wallet at home. Hell, I forget to use Apple Pay most of the time because so many places I go to don’t take it or it’s so much easier to use the card, such as paying at restaurants or any kind of drive thru. 
  • Reply 30 of 63
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 819member
    An additional bit of detail from a 9to5Mac article:

    ” Driver’s licenses and state IDs in Wallet are only presented digitally through encrypted communication directly between the device and the identity reader, so users do not need to unlock, show, or hand over their device. ”

    https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/01/apple-reveals-first-us-states-working-to-adopt-digital-apple-wallet-ids/
    edited September 2021 spock1234dewme
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Phoenix is never first in anything cutting edge so I was quite surprised. Still waiting for Google Fiber. 

    602warren said:
    Xed said:
    1) Most of those aren't the states I'd have thought would be first to support digital IDs.

    2) Even once this is enabled by the TSA the inconsistency of the TSA across airports will have me bring a physical ID with me for a very, very, very long time. Good as a backup, I guess.
    Same. Never would have thought Arizona would be first in line. I live in Phoenix and it shocked me to read that. I’m excited for this update as it will allow me to carry one less thing around with me for every day errands. For traveling ill bring my ID as a backup for sure. The only thing keeping me tied to a physical wallet was the ID in case I got pulled over or it was needed as verification for an online order pickup. 98% of the stores I frequent use Apple Pay (the major exception being stupid Frys/Kroger) so carrying around just my phone/watch would be perfect. My major gripe is how long its going to take me to stop panicking that I’ve left my wallet somewhere and then remembering its just at home. Haha.

  • Reply 32 of 63
    "Designed in California.  Never to be implemented in California."
    Exactly. What’s up with that. Biggest corporation in California, chummy with many State pols, but still can’t get the DMV to bite? Apple should be the State Computer and phone on every department desk and employee pocket. Apple needs a new director of lobbying for this State. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 63
    rob53 said:

    If these states are approving electronic IDs why won't they allow official vaccination documents? I've been wanting my entire medical history stored on my iPhone so I can quit filling out the same stupid forms at different medical provider's offices. 
    Ohhhh...  You will keep filling out those forms, and you will like it!

    Every single time we take the kids for their annual checkup with the doctor it's the same forms.  They should have an option to simply state "No Changes".
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Yay. Connecticut! My state. It would be a good backup in case I left my wallet at home. It happens.
    Are you a male or female? Guys generally immediately know that their wallet is not in their pants, from how it feels. A woman has to look in her purse, I guess.
     
  • Reply 35 of 63

    Apple reveals first states to use Apple Wallet for ID, driver's licence

    License in the United States. Licence in other English speaking countries. Since we're talking permits in the United Staes: license it is.
    williamlondonJaphey
  • Reply 36 of 63
    It would be a good backup in case I left my wallet at home. It happens.
    I find a digital drivers license excellent. On most days I don’t carry a wallet at all. Just pay from phone and watch, and drivers license on phone. 

    Not needing a wallet is excellent. 

    I wonder if they’ll switch to apple’s implementation now. 

    It did get me in trouble a few times. I have had to withdraw cash for a couple of shops (luckily a cardless-cash atm was nearby). And I went to a hospital and the parking wouldn’t accept tap-to-pay, so I had to write an iou and come back the next day with cash. Also some cards in your wallet have no alternative yet. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Curious how this will work when checking IDs for selling alcohol. Every picture of the ID that I have seen in Apple Wallet only has a generic background, with the persons first name and last initial.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Xed said:
    1) Most of those aren't the states I'd have thought would be first to support digital IDs.

    2) Even once this is enabled by the TSA the inconsistency of the TSA across airports will have me bring a physical ID with me for a very, very, very long time. Good as a backup, I guess.
    Since we have one of the worlds busiest airports here, it makes sense to me Georgia is one of the first to support digital IDs. 
  • Reply 39 of 63
    JinTech said:
    Curious how this will work when checking IDs for selling alcohol. Every picture of the ID that I have seen in Apple Wallet only has a generic background, with the persons first name and last initial.
    When I visit my cousins in Louisiana, they use their digital ID to purchase alcohol. Louisiana has an app to have a digital version of your drivers license. I would imagine your drivers license in Wallet will be your actual license and not some generic background. 
    williamlondonJinTechStrangeDays
  • Reply 40 of 63
    d-rey said:
    Love the idea. I already use Apple Pay everywhere I can.  How do the state laws address this, though?  If I voluntarily hand law enforcement my phone to show them my ID, have I just given them the authority to go through it?  
    Yup. 
Sign In or Register to comment.