Apple still wants 2023 iPhone periscope camera, just not from Samsung

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is again said to be planning a folding periscope lens for the 2023 iPhone range, but will now not buy from Samsung, which owns patents on the technology.

A periscope lens could reduce, or remove, the camera bump
A periscope lens could reduce, or remove, the camera bump

A folding periscope lens could give iPhones a substantially improved optical zoom, while not requiring a thicker casing. Samsung Electro-Mechanics owns patents on the technology, after acquiring them from Corephotonix in 2019.

However, according to The Elec, Apple is planning to exclude Samsung from its supply chain for a folded zoom camera module in 2023. The publication has previously said that Samsung will supply components to LG InnoTek to assemble for Apple.

Now, however, The Elec says that Apple is aiming to source components separately. Reportedly, Samsung's patents are getting in the way of Apple's plans, but it will either work around them, or pay a licence fee.

Apple has reportedly been investigating introducing a so-called "periscope" lens to the iPhone. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo initially expected it in 2022, but later revised that to the 2023 iPhone range.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Wouldn’t Sony (as buyer of Konica-Minolta’s Camera assets) also hold a few patents?

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagex

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Im not a professional photographer BUT the current iphone takes photos and even movies for some artist and it looks impressive to me. I dont know what else??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Im not a professional photographer BUT the current iphone takes photos and even movies for some artist and it looks impressive to me. I dont know what else??

As the article clearly states, this is to offer a much longer optical zoom capability.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I just don't get it ,  finally this year we see a boost in optics and megapixel ( once again without Sony  chips ) then we hear they going it alone with foxcon camera lens set up to supposedly save costs . A first off for foxcon  (eurk) now 2 years away a periscope set up . 
    Wow how many years to wait for an in screen touch id 
    now we all wear masks .  Just because for some good damn reason we upgrade and upgrade and Apple still sit on patents and ideas and trickle tech into the phone . Come on Apple you made the first one and lead the way now your playing catch up . 
    Its like we cant get touch id working without paying a patient fee so we will say nah we can do it better ourselves and then oh no we can’t so lets tell people we are building a car , that might have touch id . And after its first release the upgrade might offer a periscope camera  . ! 
    I have an iphone 12 pro max but wont be upgrading for a few years now as costs are getting up there  and my son who’s 12 always  brags on about what his Samsung galaxy can do  that i cant . 
    pulseimageslibertyandfreeroyboyviclauyyc
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I just don't get it ,  finally this year we see a boost in optics and megapixel ( once again without Sony  chips ) then we hear they going it alone with foxcon camera lens set up to supposedly save costs . A first off for foxcon  (eurk) now 2 years away a periscope set up . 
    Wow how many years to wait for an in screen touch id 
    now we all wear masks .  Just because for some good damn reason we upgrade and upgrade and Apple still sit on patents and ideas and trickle tech into the phone . Come on Apple you made the first one and lead the way now your playing catch up . 
    Its like we cant get touch id working without paying a patient fee so we will say nah we can do it better ourselves and then oh no we can’t so lets tell people we are building a car , that might have touch id . And after its first release the upgrade might offer a periscope camera  . ! 
    I have an iphone 12 pro max but wont be upgrading for a few years now as costs are getting up there  and my son who’s 12 always  brags on about what his Samsung galaxy can do  that i cant . 
    Apple isn’t innovating with any of it’s product lines and I don’t understand why so many people on here are okay with that. Their attitude is “Switch to Samsung if you’re not happy with blah, blah, blah.” Once Steve Jobs died so did Apple’s bravado for innovation. 
    royboy
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Kuyangkoh said:
    I use my small Fujifilm X30 instead of my iPhone because it has a built in optical zoom range of 28-112mm. No iPhone can touch that.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Apple needs to get a periscope lens into the iPhone ASAP since they are being left behind by supposedly minor players.  I love taking photos with my iPhone and the low light photos are impressive but the lack of a true high zoom optical lens is a hindrance and requires me to still carry around a DSLR which I would rather not.  Apple needs to get its act together now since 2023 seems like a very late date to finally introduce their periscope camera. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Kuyangkoh said:
    I use my small Fujifilm X30 instead of my iPhone because it has a built in optical zoom range of 28-112mm. No iPhone can touch that.
    Actual cameras are better than phone cameras...news at 11.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    igorsky said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Actual cameras are better than phone cameras...news at 11.
    Not always, sensor size isn’t everything. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I wish Apple would come out with, or partner with someone, to produce a minimalist, mirrorless camera that uses an iOS product (iPhone, iPad) as the viewfinder and image analyzer. I don’t think I’m alone in wanting super high quality pictures without having to watch 100 hours of YouTube tutorials and carrying around a clunky DSLR. 
    watto_cobra