Apple reveals first states to use Apple Wallet for ID, driver's licence

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    I had to order a replacement driver’s license a couple of years ago, and along with the physical card in the mail, the state of ALABAMA (yes, Alabama) mailed me an electronic copy, complete with instructions on how to add it to my Wallet.  It worked, and it’s been there ever since.

The logo, my ID#, pic, full name and Date of Issue are all standard text.  Everything else on the physical license is encoded in a 2D barcode.

It mystifies me, that this state doesn’t actively tout that it’s right there supporting Wallet.

• Reply 42 of 63
    Yay. Connecticut! My state. It would be a good backup in case I left my wallet at home. It happens.

My wallet has stayed at home for a couple years now.   I enjoy not having a lump sticking me in the butt.
    I carry a driver's license and a credit card (for those idiots who won't yet accept ApplePay) with my phone.

It has worked well.   But I'll be happy to leave the driver's license at home in the wallet -- and hopefully soon, the credit card too.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    JBSlough said:
    I’m guessing it can’t be used for voter ID. Won’t surprise me. 

So called "Voter ID" has nothing to do with identification.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    glindon said:
    602warren said:
    Xed said:
    1) Most of those aren't the states I'd have thought would be first to support digital IDs.

2) Even once this is enabled by the TSA the inconsistency of the TSA across airports will have me bring a physical ID with me for a very, very, very long time. Good as a backup, I guess.
    Same. Never would have thought Arizona would be first in line. I live in Phoenix and it shocked me to read that. I’m excited for this update as it will allow me to carry one less thing around with me for every day errands. For traveling ill bring my ID as a backup for sure. The only thing keeping me tied to a physical wallet was the ID in case I got pulled over or it was needed as verification for an online order pickup. 98% of the stores I frequent use Apple Pay (the major exception being stupid Frys/Kroger) so carrying around just my phone/watch would be perfect. My major gripe is how long its going to take me to stop panicking that I’ve left my wallet somewhere and then remembering its just at home. Haha.
    I‘m curious as to how this will work in practice. I live in Phoenix also. I’m guessing it will take several years before retail/bank employees finally realize that you aren’t trying to pass off some fake ID to them. Also I’m not too keen on handing people my phone so they can scrutinize my ID, vs handing them an indestructible plastic card. I guess it’s nice as a backup, but since not everyplace takes Apple Pay (even though it’s been out, what, 6 years!) I’m still not leaving my wallet at home. Hell, I forget to use Apple Pay most of the time because so many places I go to don’t take it or it’s so much easier to use the card, such as paying at restaurants or any kind of drive thru. 

I've been in a retail bank once in the past 2 years -- and even then they told me to use my phone instead of doing it themselves!
    Nor have I carried cash with me for the past couple years.

The world is getting away from both cash and bank tellers.   The infrastructure for an all-digital world is already here.   It's just waiting for people to catch up to it.

The ones who will be slow to "realize" the digital revolution will be drug dealers -- they like cash.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Xed said:
    1) Most of those aren't the states I'd have thought would be first to support digital IDs.

2) Even once this is enabled by the TSA the inconsistency of the TSA across airports will have me bring a physical ID with me for a very, very, very long time. Good as a backup, I guess.
    Yeah I live in Kentucky and we don't even have RealID for everyone yet, so this is really surprising to me.  I like it, just very surprised.  
  • Reply 46 of 63
    This might have been asked already but does anyone know if this includes state issued conceal and carry permits from the participating states ?
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 47 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    glindon said:
    602warren said:
    Xed said:

Same. Never would have thought Arizona would be first in line. I live in Phoenix and it shocked me to read that. I’m excited for this update as it will allow me to carry one less thing around with me for every day errands. For traveling ill bring my ID as a backup for sure. The only thing keeping me tied to a physical wallet was the ID in case I got pulled over or it was needed as verification for an online order pickup. 98% of the stores I frequent use Apple Pay (the major exception being stupid Frys/Kroger) so carrying around just my phone/watch would be perfect. My major gripe is how long its going to take me to stop panicking that I’ve left my wallet somewhere and then remembering its just at home. Haha.
    I‘m curious as to how this will work in practice. I live in Phoenix also. I’m guessing it will take several years before retail/bank employees finally realize that you aren’t trying to pass off some fake ID to them. Also I’m not too keen on handing people my phone so they can scrutinize my ID, vs handing them an indestructible plastic card. I guess it’s nice as a backup, but since not everyplace takes Apple Pay (even though it’s been out, what, 6 years!) I’m still not leaving my wallet at home. Hell, I forget to use Apple Pay most of the time because so many places I go to don’t take it or it’s so much easier to use the card, such as paying at restaurants or any kind of drive thru. 

I've been in a retail bank once in the past 2 years -- and even then they told me to use my phone instead of doing it themselves!

The world is getting away from both cash and bank tellers.   The infrastructure for an all-digital world is already here.   It's just waiting for people to catch up to it.

The ones who will be slow to "realize" the digital revolution will be drug dealers -- they like cash.
    As do one-person businesses, "independent contractors", tradesmen (roofers, electricians, etc), and a wellspring of off-the-grid transactions from big players.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    Xed said:

Eh that’s the same way it was with electronic boarding passes. Now it’s universal. I’m sure this will be the same. 
  • Reply 49 of 63
    d-rey said:
    Love the idea. I already use Apple Pay everywhere I can.  How do the state laws address this, though?  If I voluntarily hand law enforcement my phone to show them my ID, have I just given them the authority to go through it?  
    The device remains locked. The LEOs use NFC readers. 

In Louisiana we have a custom app digital drivers license, and there is a “hands off” policy where LEOs take a picture of it. 
  • Reply 50 of 63
    stevenoz said:
    Yay. Connecticut! My state. It would be a good backup in case I left my wallet at home. It happens.
    Are you a male or female? Guys generally immediately know that their wallet is not in their pants, from how it feels. A woman has to look in her purse, I guess.
    I’m male, and have forgotten my wallet countless times. Preposterous. 
  • Reply 51 of 63
    rob53 said:
    Ah I guess Washington will be one of the last states, so anal
    I have a Washington state enhanced driver's license. It satisfies all the federal and state requirements and has an embedded chip so it can be used for ground transportation over the Canadian border. As far as I'm concerned, TSA needs to be shut down. We already have to deal with the Border Patrol up to 100 miles from any border, land or sea. As for having the user scan their ID, that's absolutely insane. This makes it an unofficial copy of a governmental ID. To do it right, the ID would need to come as an encrypted and signed electronic file that is stored in Apple's secure enclave. Accessing it would only be approved via Apple's NFC connection. I know current cards and passports are paper but if you're going to change things do it right.

If these states are approving electronic IDs why won't they allow official vaccination documents? I've been wanting my entire medical history stored on my iPhone so I can quit filling out the same stupid forms at different medical provider's offices. 
    +1 for TSA shutdown and medical history propositions
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 52 of 63
    gatorguy said:
    glindon said:
    602warren said:
    Xed said:

As do one-person businesses, "independent contractors", tradesmen (roofers, electricians, etc), and a wellspring of off-the-grid transactions from big players.
    My SO and I have a couple properties and hire tradesmen frequently. Nearly all of them use Zelle for instant bank transfers, Venmo, or even Apple Pay (Intuit online invoices). Nobody expects us to fork out a grand or more in $20 bills. 
  • Reply 53 of 63
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Gruber's write up on this is very good and informative.

https://daringfireball.net/2021/09/initial_details_on_ids_in_apple_wallet

• Reply 54 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    gatorguy said:
    glindon said:
    602warren said:
    Xed said:

My SO and I have a couple properties and hire tradesmen frequently. Nearly all of them use Zelle for instant bank transfers, Venmo, or even Apple Pay (Intuit online invoices). Nobody expects us to fork out a grand or more in $20 bills. 
    Well that's precious, you've never heard of it. 

I've been offered "cash discounts" numerous times, and recently. I had one sub who asked if he could be paid in cash a couple years ago, and more recently another who said "leave the pay to open" on his check. I couldn't accommodate either of them as I have a very good and honest accountant (is that rare?), but one of the businesses I service does the "cash for discount" contract-employee thing regularly. At a restaurant/bar I visit the nite clean-up guys are paid cash under the table.

If you do a survey with fellow businessmen and even neighbors I'll wager a majority of them have taken advantage of the "cash discount" at some point, or intimately know someone who has. It is not rare, even if you've never encountered it. Next time you have a project at one of your "properties" try asking if the price would be lower if you pay cash and don't need a receipt. Roofers are notorious for it. 
    https://www.logikroofing.com/risks-of-cash-deal-roof-renovation/
    https://money.com/paying-handyman-cash-home-repairs/
    https://jonestaxesonline.com/blog/f/whats-wrong-with-paying-under-the-table

Anyway, straying off topic again as threads tend to do here. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 55 of 63
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    This is generally a good idea, but I always worry about relying on something that can be a single point failure. When I travel with my passport I always have a photo of my passport on my phone. No, this won't totally save me if my passport is lost or stolen, but it's better than nothing. Same with drivers license and vaccination records. At some point we'll need a fast and reliable way to get at a backup of the id info that's stored on our phones. Time to get chipped - or chipped again for those of us who got the Covid-19 vaccine. Damn you Bill Gates! :D

When I lived in GA in 1998 I had to submit a fingerprint to get a drivers license. I wonder what they did with that data?

Xed
  • Reply 56 of 63
    gatorguy said:
    glindon said:
    602warren said:
    Xed said:

AKA -- Tax Scammers
    But the same idea as the drug dealers -- those operating above the law and below the radar.

It's a major problem in India and one of the best reasons for going all digital.  
  • Reply 57 of 63
    stevenoz said:
    Are you a male or female? Guys generally immediately know that their wallet is not in their pants, from how it feels. A woman has to look in her purse, I guess.

No, not preposterous at all.  When I carried a wallet I could always feel it in my back pocket.   The same is/was true for my cell phone which resided in my right front pocket -- if it wasn't there something felt wrong.   But, now that I have an Apple Watch with LTE I carry my phone less and less -- so I do tend to forget it and lose it -- fortunately, so far the loss has been short lived and temporary.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    stevenoz said:

No, not preposterous at all.  When I carried a wallet I could always feel it in my back pocket.   The same is/was true for my cell phone which resided in my right front pocket -- if it wasn't there something felt wrong.   But, now that I have an Apple Watch with LTE I carry my phone less and less -- so I do tend to forget it and lose it -- fortunately, so far the loss has been short lived and temporary.
    Not everyone carries as much in their wallet (especially since Wallet can hold many, Sedona used cards, including memberships cards) and not everyone carries their wallet in their back pocket so it’s absolutely not preposterous to think that a made could forgot their wallet.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 59 of 63
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Xed said:
    stevenoz said:

Not everyone carries as much in their wallet (especially since Wallet can hold many, Sedona used cards, including memberships cards) and not everyone carries their wallet in their back pocket so it’s absolutely not preposterous to think that a made could forgot their wallet.

I carried as little as possible and used as thin a wallet as possible.  But, regardless of which pocket used, something that was always there would, typically, be soon missed if it wasn't.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 60 of 63
    I love the idea. But as d-rey said, I can see this being used by the state's enforcers to persecute people even more than they already do. I'm sure it will be locked, but will Face ID still be active? They can point the phone at your face to unlock it, then rifle through your phone at their leisure. Have a pro-marijuana meme on your phone? Reasonable suspicion to search your car. Sent PayPal to somebody as "friends and family" when paying for a private sale? Tax evasion. Or they could just steal your phone and justify it as asset forfeiture because you "seemed suspicious."

And that's not even getting into the increasing use of technology to track and control people. Every automation that makes our lives easier also exposes us to control. Hold political opinions the state doesn't like? Well, let's just cut off access to your digital ID. Or bank accounts. I love technology. It's made our lives better. But the presence of sociopaths in positions of power makes this stuff potentially risky.
    williamlondon