Apple will have a hand in every detail of the 'Apple Car,' analysts say

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    It's a CAR SERVICE. You subscribe. Access to certain amount of hours or types of vehicles. It's for urban markets. It will save you the waste of paying for a car that mainly sits in your driveway most of its life. These isn't a more wasteful and 19th century technology and system in place than automobiles right now.
    Quite, a subscription service for the Plebs, owned by our betters in the patrician class, who will know everywhere you go, who you meet with, and when. Who also, by the way, intend to own the towers of dog box apartments you will also rent from them, and eat in the commissaries downstairs the patricians will also own. 

The freedom of barreling down the open road wherever you please, associating with whoever you please, and being accountable only to yourself, your family and your peers is as you say, so 19th century. 

Not that a pleb subscriber can afford too many trips. As by then they will only be paid via a UBI, they can only afford the trip each week down to the local government reeducation facility for compulsory lessons in social responsibility.
    edited September 2021 JWSCpatchythepirate
  • Reply 22 of 39
    It's a CAR SERVICE. You subscribe. Access to certain amount of hours or types of vehicles. It's for urban markets. It will save you the waste of paying for a car that mainly sits in your driveway most of its life. These isn't a more wasteful and 19th century technology and system in place than automobiles right now.
    Totally agree, but not only is the car in the driveway a waste of your money, but the driveway itself, the garage and the cost of parking downtown and at the workplace are all costs on that we as individuals and collectively have to pay for. MaaS is the next big thing!
  • Reply 23 of 39
    It's 2021, and the rumors started circa 2015, iirc, and there's still not a peep. No vision, no goals expressed, not even a hint. 

It's going nowhere, assuming there's even a there there.
    LewyDFooly
  • Reply 24 of 39
    JWSC said:
    GeeAye said:
    byronl said:
    i agree but tesla is so far ahead in self driving how will apple compete. i’m sure they can outdo tesla in interior design and quality but they need the self driving.
    Isn't that what they said about blackberry in the smart phone market?
    Did you watch AI Day?  If not then stop what you’re doing and watch now.  It’s jaw dropping.

What Tesla has done is every bit as mind blowing, if not more so, than what Apple did with development of the M1.  The network effects of Tesla’s hundreds of millions of miles on the road has yielded incredible detail in mapping.  Tesla has created a super scalar computer core to teach its driving AI, and it using all those millions of miles in the data set.

Tesla is way ahead in their electric motor design.  Have you seen Plaid in action?

Let’s not forget their massive injection molding machines that can fabricate large parts of the chassis like no other auto manufacturer in the world.

Tabless batteries.  Can’t forget those.  Fewer parts.  Improved reliability.  Better range.

Apple is capable of coming out with a good product with great UI and human factors design.  But besting Tesla overall?  I don’t know.  Tesla ain’t no BlackBerry.
    ^^ 

Indeed, Tesla is so far ahead of the game, and with every passing year, it seems to be another five years that company is ahead relative to its moribund competition (such as it is). It's easy to sneer at the company and at Musk, chillingly similar to how people derisively dismissed Apple and Jobs two decades ago. The same refrains, all over again. 

Let's bluntly face it: Apple cool has been comfortably displaced by Tesla cool. The 2020s is Tesla's decade. 
    JWSCbyronlLewyDFooly
  • Reply 25 of 39
    entropys said:
    Quite, a subscription service for the Plebs, owned by our betters in the patrician class, who will know everywhere you go, who you meet with, and when. Who also, by the way, intend to own the towers of dog box apartments you will also rent from them, and eat in the commissaries downstairs the patricians will also own. 

The freedom of barreling down the open road wherever you please, associating with whoever you please, and being accountable only to yourself, your family and your peers is as you say, so 19th century. 

Not that a pleb subscriber can afford too many trips. As by then they will only be paid via a UBI, they can only afford the trip each week down to the local government reeducation facility for compulsory lessons in social responsibility.
    What the fuck.
    sconosciutonadrielbyronlLewyDFooly
  • Reply 26 of 39
    It's 2021, and the rumors started circa 2015, iirc, and there's still not a peep. No vision, no goals expressed, not even a hint. 

Because Apple always pre-announces that kind of information. You know the iPad development started long before the iPhone? 
  • Reply 27 of 39

Because Apple always pre-announces that kind of information. You know the iPad development started long before the iPhone? 
    Yeah a car is just an iPad on wheels...
    JWSC
  • Reply 28 of 39
    entropys said:

No one is saying that you can't have a car, only that MaaS gives you the freedom not to HAVE to own a car if you don't want to. That's also a freedom.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    byronl said:
    i agree but tesla is so far ahead in self driving how will apple compete. i’m sure they can outdo tesla in interior design and quality but they need the self driving.
    That’s what Nokia thought too when the iPhone rumors started. You’re not a student of Apple history I take it.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    byronlbyronl Posts: 372member
    byronl said:
    “We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”

LMAO you obviously have no idea about how far ahead tesla is in self driving and how they got there. what companies like google, waymo, cruise, apple and most others are doing is use lidar and hd human annotated 3d maps. they map out a space with lidar and have humans annotated. this is very expensive and almost impossible to scale. all these companies are doing it in fractions of countries, let alone many countries or the whole world. tesla has a different approach. they use vision, just like humans. but, the reason why they’ve been able to do that is because of their GIANT data collection fleet of vehicles. tesla has collected all the data from customer bought cars to train their AI and it’s next level. apple and others can’t compete with that. watch tesla’s AI day and educate yourself about self driving, watch some experts’ reaction to tesla AI day. 
    also that quote doesn’t apply to tesla. it applies to ford, gm, vw, bmw etc. tesla is basically the apple of cars
  • Reply 31 of 39
    GeeAye said:
    byronl said:

LMAO you obviously have no idea about how far ahead tesla is in self driving and how they got there. what companies like google, waymo, cruise, apple and most others are doing is use lidar and hd human annotated 3d maps. they map out a space with lidar and have humans annotated. this is very expensive and almost impossible to scale. all these companies are doing it in fractions of countries, let alone many countries or the whole world. tesla has a different approach. they use vision, just like humans. but, the reason why they’ve been able to do that is because of their GIANT data collection fleet of vehicles. tesla has collected all the data from customer bought cars to train their AI and it’s next level. apple and others can’t compete with that. watch tesla’s AI day and educate yourself about self driving, watch some experts’ reaction to tesla AI day. 
    sorry for the duplicate comment but it’s basically the same reply
  • Reply 32 of 39
    JWSC said:
    GeeAye said:
    byronl said:
    Did you watch AI Day?  If not then stop what you’re doing and watch now.  It’s jaw dropping.

What Tesla has done is every bit as mind blowing, if not more so, than what Apple did with development of the M1.  The network effects of Tesla’s hundreds of millions of miles on the road has yielded incredible detail in mapping.  Tesla has created a super scalar computer core to teach its driving AI, and it using all those millions of miles in the data set.

Tesla is way ahead in their electric motor design.  Have you seen Plaid in action?

Let’s not forget their massive injection molding machines that can fabricate large parts of the chassis like no other auto manufacturer in the world.

Tabless batteries.  Can’t forget those.  Fewer parts.  Improved reliability.  Better range.

Apple is capable of coming out with a good product with great UI and human factors design.  But besting Tesla overall?  I don’t know.  Tesla ain’t no BlackBerry.
    thank you!!! many apple fans have no idea of how far ahead tesla is and their advantages
  • Reply 33 of 39
    JWSC said:
    byronl said:
    JWSC said:
    Transport service will be a thing for many, predominantly younger, city dwellers.   But not everyone is going to groove with resting on a seat back that 100 other people have sat on earlier in the day.  Not everyone will gravitate to what is basically public transport.  And (shocker) not everyone lives in a city.

I struggle with envisioning Apple targeting a shared transport device, when the entire history of their products largely revolves around personal devices.  Tesla is firing on all cylinders (oh the irony in that pun) and we see no sign of them considering public transport, although the Boring Company has demonstrated Teslas as tunnel transport units.  The only organizations interest in public transport are municipalities.  Are we really expecting Apple to tailor their automotive offering to public officials?  Seriously?!!
    it’s basically uber or lyft, but A LOT cheaper, without a driver. about 0.18-0.25$ per mile. will DEFINITELY be a hit and reduce ownership of cars 
    Yes, there’s the Uber/Lyft model.  Not going to sell millions nor make huge margin on those vehicles though.  The margins are going to be in individual sales.
    noo. it will be A LOT cheaper than uber and lyft, and competing with public transport costs. watch the start of this: https://youtu.be/HKjmLQzKx28
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 34 of 39
    lkrupp said:
    byronl said:
    That’s what Nokia thought too when the iPhone rumors started. You’re not a student of Apple history I take it.
    please read my previous replies
    you obviously have no understanding of tesla
  • Reply 35 of 39
    byronl said:
    GeeAye said:
    byronl said:

LMAO you just said something is "very expensive and almost impossible to scale" with regard to Apple. 

I like Tesla, and Musk (as far as his work goes anyway), but we'll see how quickly even they get to full automated driving. The only AI day thing I have seen so far though is Musk "unveiling" his humanoid robot by way of having a dude in a unitard robot costume dance to EDM on stage.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Lfastasleep said:
    byronl said:
    GeeAye said:
    byronl said:

LMAO you just said something is "very expensive and almost impossible to scale" with regard to Apple. 

I like Tesla, and Musk (as far as his work goes anyway), but we'll see how quickly even they get to full automated driving. The only AI day thing I have seen so far though is Musk "unveiling" his humanoid robot by way of having a dude in a unitard robot costume dance to EDM on stage.
    yes i said that in regards to apple, what about it? they don’t have any other option than to use this technique, which is unscalable and expensive. 
    well, watch all of it to understand, and if you don’t understand watch an AI expert reacting to it. most of them said that tesla is more far ahead in self diving than they originally thought
    LewyDFooly
  • Reply 37 of 39
    byronl said:
    GeeAye said:
    byronl said:

If you actually look into Waymo’s strategy (which is pretty much Apple’s strategy too) for autonomous vehicles, it is stupendously difficult to scale. They are mapping out entire cities and equipping third-party vehicles with expensive LIDAR systems, essentially operating their vehicles on virtual rails. On the other hand, Tesla is rapidly developing a system that operates on computer vision and a powerful neural network backed by an incredible supercomputer - Dojo. Whereas Waymo’s autonomous solution could only be deployed in big cities and remain geo-fenced, Tesla’s autonomous solution will eventually allow their vehicles to adapt to changing driving environments, so they’ll be able to go anywhere. 

You’ve only seen the Tesla Bot from AI Day because instead of actually watching it, you only observed headlines and articles about it. AI day was around 2 hours long, and Tesla Bot was maybe only 10 minutes of the entire presentation, and it was announced that the END of AI Day. Most MSM only care about clicks, and they knew that the meat of AI Day wouldn’t generate the clicks they so desired. They went with relentlessly reporting on the Tesla Bot announcement instead of the almost 2 hours worth of inspiring work that the AI software and hardware teams have been doing. 

If you actually watch the presentation, it’s very cutting-edge stuff when it comes to computer vision and autonomous driving. Feel free to not watch the Tesla Bot part, which again, is at the end of the presentation. Besides, AI Day was largely a recruiting event for Tesla, and the Tesla Bot was announced in huge part to attract AI talent. Because the truth is, there is AI talent out there that don’t want to work on ad algorithms. They want to work on challenging yet positively world-changing stuff like Spot or the Tesla Bot. 
    byronl
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Sorry, but I don’t want my family driving around in a vehicle where the previous passengers have done lord-knows-what with it. Not just with regard to cleanliness but safety too, did they puncture the battery? Start a leak in a tire? No way, no thanks. 
  • Reply 39 of 39
    frost_0ne said:
    Sorry, but I don’t want my family driving around in a vehicle where the previous passengers have done lord-knows-what with it. Not just with regard to cleanliness but safety too, did they puncture the battery? Start a leak in a tire? No way, no thanks. 
    Is this preventing you from taking Uber/Lyft/Cabs/public transportation?