Apple looking to Korea and Japan for 'Apple Car,' plans 2024 launch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
A new report backs up previous ones that Apple is looking to launch "Apple Car" in 2024, and is now visiting to both Korean and Japanese car manufacturers.

Apple has still not officially commented on claims that it plans an
Apple has still not officially commented on claims that it plans an "Apple Car."

Previously sources have claimed that Apple will introduce the "Apple Car" sooner than expected, in 2024 instead of 2027. Now a new report backs up that date, and says that Apple executives are currently visiting Asian car suppliers.

According to Digitimes Asis, the visits are concerned with how the "Apple Car" can be produced amid the global chip shortage that is presently hitting the automotive industry hardest. As well as processors, the publication says that there are also issues over other, unspecified components.

Apple has previously been reported to be visiting car component manufacturers and assemblers in the region.

The 2024 date has also been mentioned in claims that Hyundai will assemble the "Apple Car" in the US from then. Separately, Apple has been reported to be working on a new monocell car battery design for 2024.

Digitimes has a poor track record from extrapolating Apple's plans, but a much stronger one over the details from its supply chain.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    all these non tesla companies are so far behind in ev technology. i hope apple takes powertrain design and much of the manufacturing processes into its own hands.
    ravnorodomJWSC
  • Reply 2 of 22
    byronl said:
    all these non tesla companies are so far behind in ev technology. i hope apple takes powertrain design and much of the manufacturing processes into its own hands.
    It's not necessary for a hypothetical Apple Car to be an all electric one.  In fact, I'd argue that small, fuel efficient gas/diesel or hybrid would be more accessible to more people and be much more flexible than a full electric.

Of course, if Apple is going for "cars as a service", like taxis, busses, Uber, and Lyft, then a full electric might make more sense, but will currently still likely cost more to make and maintain than a gas or hybrid vehicle.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    byronl said:

How on earth can you believe it would make sense for Apple to open their own manufacturing plant, an area with which they have exactly zero experience. They don't even own their own facilities for manufacturing phones and tablets. There are already many manufacturers with experience and infrastructure to build cars. It will only take one or two of them with the capacity and willingness to manufacture for Apple. Has nothing to do with EV experience. Has everything to do with manufacturing cars, one of the most, if not THE most regulated industries in the world for consumer products.
    designrravnorodomradarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 22
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    byronl said:
    It's not necessary for a hypothetical Apple Car to be an all electric one.  In fact, I'd argue that small, fuel efficient gas/diesel or hybrid would be more accessible to more people and be much more flexible than a full electric.

Of course, if Apple is going for "cars as a service", like taxis, busses, Uber, and Lyft, then a full electric might make more sense, but will currently still likely cost more to make and maintain than a gas or hybrid vehicle.
    Irrespective of whether Apple goes for a taxi like service or not, Apple will NEVER launch a gas/hybrid car. It's just so last century and polluting - nothing at all like what Apple is about. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 22
    So many companies want to produce EV and compete with Tesla. Non succeeds so far. It’s just damn too expensive to produce. I think Apple is wasting its resources and time on Apple Car. Apple should focus more on Mac line. I need something between Mac Pro and Mac mini…. like a headless iMac. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Gotta love that your source for the big, clickbait headline is a "news" org you later describe as having "a poor track record for extrapolating Apple's plans." But yeah, Apple is definitely planning to launch its car in 2024. I guess any rumor will do for Apple Insider?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    byronl said:

absolutely not. electric is the future. this would be a TERRIBLE move from apple.  electric cars will be cheaper to make in 2025/2026 AND they’re already cheaper to charge/maintain than electric. charging infrastructure is growing VERY FAST and at an exponential rate. 
  • Reply 8 of 22
    mike1 said:
    byronl said:

How on earth can you believe it would make sense for Apple to open their own manufacturing plant, an area with which they have exactly zero experience. They don't even own their own facilities for manufacturing phones and tablets. There are already many manufacturers with experience and infrastructure to build cars. It will only take one or two of them with the capacity and willingness to manufacture for Apple. Has nothing to do with EV experience. Has everything to do with manufacturing cars, one of the most, if not THE most regulated industries in the world for consumer products.
    no no no. i’m talking about manufacturing PROCESSES. they already make a lot of their manufacturing PROCESSES for iphones and ipads etc, but they don’t own the factories. i’m talking about something similar. also tesla is so far ahead in manufacturing and they’re extending their lead. (and before you talk about quality control, the tesla quality control in their shanghai, berlin and texas factories is perfect)
    JWSC
  • Reply 9 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    byronl said:
    I see a lot of EVs and very few are Teslas.

'Behind' or not, those other brands are outselling Teslas by a huge margin.

My sister-in-law has a Hyundai ioniq 100% electric and no desire to upgrade to a Tesla. Her next car may be the ioniq 5 or an Xpeng.

https://insideevs.com/news/524097/xpeng-g3-jd-power-quality/
    edited September 2021 designr
  • Reply 10 of 22
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    byronl said:

California and other CARB states will effectively require than it makes an EV.   it needs to be a Electric SUV as Tesla probably has the electric sedan car market wrapped up.  It will be interesting what they bring new to the Car Market - other than high prices.   I would really like to see solid state batteries used.   That’s the one way they can compete with the 4680 (which should finally be out).
    byronl
  • Reply 11 of 22
    avon b7 said:
    byronl said:

My sister-in-law has a Hyundai ioniq 100% electric and no desire to upgrade to a Tesla. Her next car may be the ioniq 5 or an Xpeng.

What part of the world are you in that you never see Tesla’s?  

Living in the Midwest I’ve seen a couple Ford Mustang Mach-E but apart from that everything is Tesla and the sightings grow month by month.  Vacationing in Hawaii in June it seemed like every  20th car on the road was a Tesla.

byronl
  • Reply 12 of 22
    avon b7 said:
    byronl said:

What part of the world are you in that you never see Tesla’s?  

Living in the Midwest I’ve seen a couple Ford Mustang Mach-E but apart from that everything is Tesla and the sightings grow month by month.  Vacationing in Hawaii in June it seemed like every  20th car on the road was a Tesla.

Spain. Barcelona capital and metropolitan area.

I actually know someone with a Tesla but it's the only person. Other than that I've only seen three Teslas in the last four years. I think distribution was a problem for a while.

Seeing as Spain is pushing hard for drivers to switch to EVs, there are more and more of them popping up all over the place.

I have three public charging points within walking distance. They always have cars taking advantage of the free charging. Never seen a Tesla.

In terms of sales, I think they are strong (in terms of EV units in Spain) but make up about 12% of the Spanish EV market so that's why they aren't as visible overall. 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    byronl said:
    byronl said:

absolutely not. electric is the future. this would be a TERRIBLE move from apple.  electric cars will be cheaper to make in 2025/2026 AND they’re already cheaper to charge/maintain than electric. charging infrastructure is growing VERY FAST and at an exponential rate. 
    Well, electric is probably the future.  Hydrogen advocates may have a very different opinion.  But let’s not fool ourselves.  ICE is not going away any time soon.  Apple certainly could make a brilliant contribution to an ICE or hybrid auto.  But we know they won’t.  Apple, being who they are, will undoubtedly choose electric.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    When Tim Cook hand over Apple CEO job to someone; he will make sure he is remembered for many achievements at Apple but most notably Health and Apple EV Car. The 2024-25 time line seems arbitrary but is so important not only for AppleCar but rest of the auto companies to offer as many EV models as possible. Everyone will make sure they catch up Tesla and in a position to complete well with rest. Apple has lot to make it happen for AppleCar between 2021-2024.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 15 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    dk49 said:
    byronl said:

Irrespective of whether Apple goes for a taxi like service or not, Apple will NEVER launch a gas/hybrid car. It's just so last century and polluting - nothing at all like what Apple is about. 
    Tesla’s run and are made with dinosaur juice in California, and are useless when the grid is down (floods mean boats and they need oil/gas/diesel) most of the southeast currently….

Apple has the cash (actual profit) cpu, software, hardware, and OS, Tesla however makes no profit, but they do collect a lot of government welfare and claim it as profit. Who knows what Apple is actually doing except, Apple does play the long game like Tom Brady long….
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 16 of 22
    dk49 said:
    byronl said:

As long as we still depend on coal and oil fired electric power generation, an electric car is contributing to pollution.  The perception of "clean" or "green" doesn't change that.

If you happen to be in one of those places in the country that get all their power from hydro, nuclear, or solar/wind, congratulations, you're running "clean".  If not, then it's still a problem.

The fear mongering about nuclear is starting to die down, but oil still manages to strangle more efficient power generation.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    avon b7 said:
    byronl said:

those other brands are outselling Teslas by a huge margin.
    what are you talking about? tesla sells more electric cars that any other company.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    danox said:
    dk49 said:
    byronl said:

Tesla’s run and are made with dinosaur juice in California, and are useless when the grid is down (floods mean boats and they need oil/gas/diesel) most of the southeast currently….

Apple has the cash (actual profit) cpu, software, hardware, and OS, Tesla however makes no profit, but they do collect a lot of government welfare and claim it as profit. Who knows what Apple is actually doing except, Apple does play the long game like Tom Brady long….
    tesla isn’t making a profit??? do you live in 2018???? tesla has a 25% profit margin on 40k-50k cars. NO ONE comes close to that. most legacy automakers aren’t even making a 2% profit on electric cars. most ICE cars turn a profit of less than 10%. only cars prices on porsche levels and up make more than 10%. 25% margins for cars is unparalleled
  • Reply 19 of 22
    byronl said:
    avon b7 said:
    byronl said:

“ those other brands are outselling Teslas by a huge margin.”
    what are you talking about? tesla sells more electric cars that any other company.
    I'm talking about my first line:

"I see a lot of EVs and very few are Teslas".

In a later post I went into more detail. Just over one in ten EVs sold this year where I am was a Tesla.

The rest are from other brands. Plural. Obviously that translates into seeing very few Teslas. 

If you do an individual brand-by-brand comparison here, Renault is leading the ranking for 2021. 

• Reply 20 of 22
    avon b7 said:
    byronl said:
    avon b7 said:
    byronl said:

“ those other brands are outselling Teslas by a huge margin.”
    I'm talking about my first line:

"I see a lot of EVs and very few are Teslas".

In a later post I went into more detail. Just over one in ten EVs sold this year where I am was a Tesla.

The rest are from other brands. Plural. Obviously that translates into seeing very few Teslas. 

If you do an individual brand-by-brand comparison here, Renault is leading the ranking for 2021. 

wrong. tesla is selling the most electric cars in the world right now.