1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    j2fusion said:
    tylersdad said:
    j2fusion said:
    tylersdad said:
    rob53 said:
    Exciting times. I've been arguing for this for years and that's why so many people hate me on this forum.
    So you believe a developer has every right in the world to post their apps for free on the Apple App Store? Give me one legitimate reason why Apple should be required to host these apps for free. Apple doesn't charge for free apps but could start doing that if they wanted to. Apple could also start charging developers to even put their apps on the Apple App Store and if these stupid laws pass, I'm all for Apple doing that. There's no way anyone could force Apple to host things on their servers for free. It would be like me hosting your email server on my hardware, which I maintain, for free. Get a grip, I'd never do that and I doubt any company would do that. This shows how stupid these laws are.

Of course, if you want to have your own payment system, then be prepared for Apple to start charging you a hosting fee for every download and install of that app. That's only fair isn't it?
    No. As a developer, I feel I should not be limited to Apple's way of distributing apps to my users. 

It's as simple as that. I won't use their infrastructure and they won't get any money from me (other than my developers subscription). 
    And as a developer, you are not forced to develop for iOS.  You develop for iOS because you know the potential market for your product is huge.  The thing is, Apple by its products and policies has developed the most lucrative app market in the world and you seem to think you should have access to it for free. Perhaps I misread your post but that’s what it seems to me. 
    Make all the excuses you want. iPhones and iPads are just different kinds of computers. There's no technical reason why apps have to be purchased through any kind of store. I don't think I should have access to the App Store for free, but I don't believe I should have to use the App Store to distribute my apps. That's only rule Apple put in place so that they could take 30% of my profit. 
    I’m not making excuses!  I’m just saying a private corporation can make the rules and people vote with their wallet.  This is not railroad or us steel where there were no alternatives. No one is forcing people to buy iPhones and, at least in the U.S.A., more and more people are buying them. Do you really think people buying iPhones are saying “I really hate the fact I’m locked into the App Store but I haven’t any choice so I guess I’ll spend this premium amount and buy one anyway.” People are voting with their wallets and the government wants to screw it up because they think know better than the consumer. 
    I love your explanation. To the point.
  • Reply 82 of 84
    tylersdad said:
    tylersdad said:
    rob53 said:
    Exciting times. I've been arguing for this for years and that's why so many people hate me on this forum.
    So you believe a developer has every right in the world to post their apps for free on the Apple App Store? Give me one legitimate reason why Apple should be required to host these apps for free. Apple doesn't charge for free apps but could start doing that if they wanted to. Apple could also start charging developers to even put their apps on the Apple App Store and if these stupid laws pass, I'm all for Apple doing that. There's no way anyone could force Apple to host things on their servers for free. It would be like me hosting your email server on my hardware, which I maintain, for free. Get a grip, I'd never do that and I doubt any company would do that. This shows how stupid these laws are.

Of course, if you want to have your own payment system, then be prepared for Apple to start charging you a hosting fee for every download and install of that app. That's only fair isn't it?
    No. As a developer, I feel I should not be limited to Apple's way of distributing apps to my users. 

It's as simple as that. I won't use their infrastructure and they won't get any money from me (other than my developers subscription). 
    What about using the software development libraries you’ve been using all along to create apps?  What if Apple decides they want their 30% for those going forward, but you can use your own payment gateway.  Then if you want to avoid the 30% you simple need to develop your own SDK binaries, oh, and an OS that runs them all. Maybe Apple will even allow you to side load all that, after they finish suing you for any copyright infringement you create along the way.  
    Then they'd be stupid and would likely lose developers. I pay nothing for the various Windows SDKs that I use including the Win32 API and the various .Net frameworks. I have to pay for my development tools (like Visual Studio) through an MSN Pro subscription. 

I guess all the Apple people don't realize that it's only in the Apple world that you have to pay to play. The Windows world has never been like that. 
    You mean that Windows World is in a way different that I had to pay for every major OS release? While I am getting iOS for 'free'?
    Why do you want different business models to be the same? Where is that competition those politicians are speaking about?
    What so wrong to have alternatives to the 'worlds'?
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 83 of 84
    tylersdad said:
    JBSlough said:
    tylersdad said:
    killroy said:
    tylersdad said:
    killroy said:
    tylersdad said:
    rob53 said:

You well pay for use of their server. And you well be kicked off if your app has malware.
    Why would I use their server? My customers are able to download apps from my website and install them. 

We are talking about iOS app store. Not the Mac app store.
    What difference does that make? An app is an app. An iPhone or an iPad is just another type of computer. 
    The difference is the Mac isn’t locked down. You can download anything you want (provided you turn off Gatekeeper.) iOS has been locked down from day one. 
    Correct. iOS has been locked down since the beginning. There is no technical reason for it to be locked down. As I've stated in other posts, iPhones and iPads are just computers. Why should I have to get Apple's permission to install an app on the phone that I paid for? 
    You are another one who doesn't read EULA when you click on 'Agree' button?
    You paid for the phone and you can do whatever you want with it: burn, crash, brake, pulverise etc.
    Have you bought iOS? Think again.
    Detnator