A bit of advice, not Apple related...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Was hoping for some advise from some of you folks who dont live in the US. I have lived here (Texas) all my life, and am seriously considering moving abroad. My first choice would be somewhere in Europe, second being Australia.

I have been abroad for various amounts of time, and have enjoyed my stay in the different countries. Finding employment in the US right now is next to impossible, especially in the Telecom field. There is so much more of the world I would like to see, which is why im considering this drastic move.

I have heard that to live in Europe, you cannot depend on anyone speaking english, that is except for the UK I am assuming.

As for Australia, I would guess the entire continent speaks english, or a variation of it at least

Any and all advise concerning the move, jobs, apts, living conditions, locations, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dallenbdallenb Posts: 142member
    Hmm.....20 peeks by people, and not one response. Guess noone supports moving out of the US
  • Reply 2 of 13
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Well, I guess can say that the UK, from my brief experience, is a lovely place to live. I've been in London since September on a university exchange program (I'm generally from Northern California). One caveat I can say is that, compared to Texas, anywhere in the UK (especially London) will seem very very expensive. I swear that things that would cost $5 at home cost £5 here. That's all I can think of for now.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Well two problems for you : you seems to only speak currently english and you search employment in a telecommunication, a sector in crisis. That's not simple. In europe, only UK or Ireland is a choice, you can go to australia or new-zealand, or try to see if there is a future in countrie like india (but it's not a rich countrie).

It's complicated to answer you, that's why so few people made answers. I hope that you will find a job anyway. Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    About 12 years ago I heard from somebody in Australia that they were hurting pretty bad for techies. I.E., jobs were easy to get, and paid well if you were in IT, IS, CS, etc.

Of course, 12 years is a long, long, long time in the technology sector. And, I got this info from somebody who, although they were from Australia, I wouldn't say they were an authority on the subject of tech jobs in that market. \

Hey! You got a reply, anyway.

Australia sure looks nice from here, in the movies and on the TV.

[edit: I realize "telecom industry" does not correspond directly with "technology industry," but they seem similar to me. Plus, I wouldn't have been able to post my Australian tidbit (lame as it was), if I'd been that strict with the terminology.]
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Go to Italy so you can hike in the Dolomites and eat Linguine con aspirigi.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    enaena Posts: 667member
    I'd be careful---getting a work visa alone could be tricky. Other countries can be fickle about letting aliens take certian jobs.

Also you just THINK your taxes are high now---not to mention the socialized health care. (lines, waiting etc.)

I've heard Costa Rica is alright.........
  • Reply 7 of 13
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    My recommendation (full-mouthed recommendation at that) would be to try Spain. It's one of the cheaper countries in the union (sorry, you Spanish, but it just is), and it is, in all, a very nice, beautiful, legendary, almost mythical place to live, especially if you live in, say, Sevilla or Granada, though Barcelona seems to attract the most aliens. I've lived there for a year (as a student though, so no problems looking for a job/paying taxes), and I was an alien (being Belgian). I've noticed that most people I hung out with picked up Spanish pretty fast, and moreover: the Spanish have quite a veneration for all things English (and prolly American). Everybody (literally) is taking English courses, so even if you wouldn't find a job in telecom immediately, it'd be more than easy enough for you to find some job teaching English/Spanglish to the Spanish speaking (it's how most of my fellow international students made a their pocket money).

Anyway. I think there is nothing easy about doing a thing like this. You will have to make the jump, and I guess it'll be a bit hard at first, but it is so rewarding.

Are you sure that the country you go to has to be English-speaking? I wouldn't concern myself with that problem too much (although there are only about four or five countries in the world where my language is spoken at all). It is nice, wonderful even to learn another language. To live in that language so long and profound that you catch yourself thinking and dreaming in that language.

I could go on, but I'll see if you have any questions. Who knows?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    If I could go anywhere, I think I would like to go to Australia.

I have family in Northern Ireland, but they still have violence from time to time, plus everything is expensive.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I live in a place called Hertfordshire, north of London and I must say that although I love where I live, it is almost impossible for me to find a cheap enough place to live. Especially around London! I too have been thinking of another country to live in, Oz (Australia) is great but really difficult to get into without a hell of a lot of money (it may well be easier for Americans, you will need to check this out). The people are great there, I have a few friends that live in different areas, they say it is much more relaxed over there. Spain to is another choice of mine...... a wonderful country/people I have been many, many times, I love it! It is also very cheap to live there. If you go to the south of Spain, Malaga, Estepona, Gibralta etc. there are a hell of a lot of expat. English so I think that work might be easier there to start with, until you get used to the spanish language. Anyways, good luck with your situation!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

My recommendation (full-mouthed recommendation at that) would be to try Spain. It's one of the cheaper countries in the union (sorry, you Spanish, but it just is), and it is, in all, a very nice, beautiful, legendary, almost mythical place to live, especially if you live in, say, Sevilla or Granada, though Barcelona seems to attract the most aliens. I've lived there for a year (as a student though, so no problems looking for a job/paying taxes), and I was an alien (being Belgian). I've noticed that most people I hung out with picked up Spanish pretty fast, and moreover: the Spanish have quite a veneration for all things English (and prolly American). Everybody (literally) is taking English courses, so even if you wouldn't find a job in telecom immediately, it'd be more than easy enough for you to find some job teaching English/Spanglish to the Spanish speaking (it's how most of my fellow international students made a their pocket money).

Anyway. I think there is nothing easy about doing a thing like this. You will have to make the jump, and I guess it'll be a bit hard at first, but it is so rewarding.

Are you sure that the country you go to has to be English-speaking? I wouldn't concern myself with that problem too much (although there are only about four or five countries in the world where my language is spoken at all). It is nice, wonderful even to learn another language. To live in that language so long and profound that you catch yourself thinking and dreaming in that language.

I could go on, but I'll see if you have any questions. Who knows?

As for making the jump someplace, that is the easy part. I have traveled abroad for different jobs, including Kuwait and Amsterdam in the past few months. I could pick up and go on short notice, especially since I cant seem to find a job anywhere in the States. I love the states, but people in Europe seem to enjoy life so much more than here.

As for my primary language choice, I dont speak anything but English. I suppose I could take some classes and learn at least basic spanish if I were to choose to move to Spain. Maybe then I could go there and teach english part time till I get on my feet.

As for being taxed, with the freedom of America, you spend most of your life paying into the system. Although it is the best system in the world, it also has the most flaws in my opinion.

Here is my basic wish list for moving abroad:

1) Having the ability to find a job to support myself until Telecom works its issues out.

2) Being able to communicate with the populace, at least enough so that neither me nor the person im talking too gets frustrated.

3) The ability to feel somewhat safe whereever I go. I realize that there is a good portion of the world that hates Americans. I would like to blend in somewhat, and not have to worry about being mugged/harassed/killed.

Seems simple enough, except it really isnt.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    What about Canadia? I realize that that is not very exotic but it is a bit different than the US. English speaking, decent economy, cost of living is generally cheaper although the pay is less as well. People are a bit more laid back and much more cleanly. Vancouver is a very nice city.

Or at least for god's sake go somewhere else in America and leave the shithole that is Texas.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

What about Canadia? I realize that that is not very exotic but it is a bit different than the US. English speaking, decent economy, cost of living is generally cheaper although the pay is less as well. People are a bit more laid back and much more cleanly. Vancouver is a very nice city.

Or at least for god's sake go somewhere else in America and leave the shithole that is Texas.

Texas isnt too bad, just a bit warm.

Canada is an interesting idea, although it is probably too damn cold for my liking.

Ive been up to the Pacific NW, and enjoyed my stay. Unfortunately there are no jobs up that way....

Didnt make it to Vancouver last trip, maybe I need to check it out sometime soon

Thanks for the responses
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I know a few people who have spent a couple of years in Australia (mostly from Europe, but one or two Americans as well) and all of them loved it...in fact, some of them decided to stay there. The weather is good, the people are friendly and laid back and the work week is short. Being from Texas, you'll probably be happy enough to partake in the Australian passion for barbecuing large chunks of dead animal while drinking a lot.

I don't know how easy it is to get an Australian visa and work authorization, but it's probably not as difficult as getting one for the UK.