UK carrier leaks Sept. 14 iPhone 13 event date

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
A carrier in the United Kingdom may have let slip Apple's event date before the "iPhone 13" producer's announcement, mentioning a "next generation" device landing on September 14.

Rumors and speculation has Apple holding a special event on September 14, which in theory means an announcement from Apple itself should be arriving sometime on Tuesday. In a tweet, it appears one carrier has jumped the gun.

The tweet on 11:00 AM British Summer Time (6:00 AM Eastern time) by Sky urges customers to register their details to get "all the info on the upcoming announcement." The tweet is accompanied by a video saying "The next generation is about to land."

While not mentioning Apple or iPhone by name, it's highly plausible that the announcement relates to an Apple event, and the "iPhone 13" -- especially since it's on the carrier's iPhone landing page.

We think it's time to treat yourself to something new

Sky Mobile customers: if there's one good choice you make today, let it be registering your interest to to get all the info on the upcoming announcement, trust us

https://t.co/BolP4S9xxo pic.twitter.com/r7E3MbBIR6

-- Sky (@SkyUK)

The website linked by the tweet reiterates that there is an "upcoming big announcement," and for user to "register before 14 September" to get an "exclusive Sky Mobile offer."

It is possible that Sky Mobile is basing the date on existing rumors, but as a major carrier in the UK, it would be privy to some launch details from device vendors like Apple. This makes the expected date of the event extremely likely to be true.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Don't be silly. Everyone knows that Apple announces new iPnones mostly Septermber 2nd week beginning. What that can be ? Tuesday Sept 14.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    And the legal terms at the bottom of that page show a whole bunch of iPhone 11 and 12 offers ending on 16th September 2021, meaning purchase the new iPhone 13 from 17th.

Save £288 on iPhone 12: Offer ends 16 September 2021.
    Save £288 on iPhone 12 mini: Offer ends 16 September 2021. 
    Save £288 on iPhone 12 Pro: Offer ends 16 September 2021.
    Save £288 on iPhone 12 Pro Max: Offer ends 16 September 2021.
    Save £72 on iPhone 11: Offer ends 16 September 2021.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Don’t they usually give more than 1 week’s notice?

I know they usually announce on a Tuesday, but the idea of announcing the iPhone 13 on the 13th seems kind of cool for some reason
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I don’t ever remember having to register to stream a product introduction.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I don't really think a deliberate marketing claim can be called letting something "slip".  Not really a leak either.
    ronn
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Could Sky be simply guessing when they imply that something is coming on September 14? Or does Sky think they won't be in trouble with Apple with its obtusely worded announcement? If I were Sky and I knew the release date of the iPhone 13, I would have just said "before mid-September" to avoid business trouble with Apple.

Also, the way this is worded ("trust us") it seems to me that Sky is implying that the UK will be one of the countries for which the emergency satellite service SMS will be available.

edited September 2021