Apple releases another new slight AirTags firmware revision

Posted:
in General Discussion
Just eight days after releasing the last AirTags firmware update, Apple has done it again.

AirTag firmware updated

It is unknown what the new firmware with version 1.0.291 (A1291e) brings, and Apple has released no documentation to support the revision. However, the update is expected to bring bug fixes and general improvements to the product.

The past firmware was upgraded to the same version number but with a different build number -- 1.0.291 (1A291c). The last firmware was released just five days after the previous one debuted.

To find out your AirTags firmware version, a user can go into the FindMy app. Tap on the Devices tab and tap one of the AirTags. Under the battery, icon tap on the device name to view the firmware version.

Unfortunately, there is no way to force an AirTags firmware update like users can update the operating systems of iOS, iPadOS, or macOS.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    So far my airtags haven't updated the firmware at all. Interesting.
    buttesilvernapoleon_phoneapartjahbladechaickatwokatmew
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Apple really need to figure out a better way to update hardware.  I've had mine sitting next to my iPhone 11 Pro Max and 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" and MBP for weeks, and not a hint of updating...
    This is a p*ss-poor way to update hardware, and I hope they find a more reliable method soon.
    williamlondonflyingdpfred1twokatmewcaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Both of mine show 276
    buttesilverchaicka
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ciacia Posts: 253member
    For a product that was basically done and sitting on the shelf for about a year before actual release, they sure seem to still be a work in progress with all these firmware updates.
    williamlondoncaladanian
  • Reply 5 of 16
    How accurate is the information in this AI story?  To date, this so-called firmware has yet to push out to any of my 8 AirTags; they all still have ver 276.  Something is not right.
    hselburnchaickatwokatmew
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I bought a 4-pack of them, had the custom icons/letters placed on them before they shipped. All four were placed into service at more or less the same time. 

One is on a different firmware number from the other three, and none of them are sporting the firmware update numbers from last week or this week. 

So, yeah—Apple may want to take a look at the haphazard way these seem to be updating the firmware if the change is deemed critical to function. 
    williamlondonbuttesilverjamnaptwokatmew
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Mine show 1.0.276 is this what they came with? Not sure if I should know or care. Is this really important information?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Mine show 1.0.276 is this what they came with? Not sure if I should know or care. Is this really important information?
    No, not mine.  They have updated exactly one time.  Nothing since then...
    chaicka
  • Reply 9 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    No. They were released with firmware version 1.0.225. 
    https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/03/apple-airtag-firmware-update-check/

This quote is from an AI article in June, after the second (I believe) firmware update:

For instance, the new AirTag firmware version is 1.0.276 build number 1A287b, versus the old build number of 1A276d.”
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/23/apple-has-released-slightly-revised-airtag-firmware

Incidentally, mine are all still showing .276 as well. 
    edited September 2021 caladanian
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bill w said:
    Both of mine show 276
    Same here….my 4 airtags have no updates at all, what a bull
    chaickatwokatmew
  • Reply 11 of 16
    All of mine show 291. I have 4. 

caladanian
  • Reply 12 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I bought a 4-pack about a month or so ago, and immediately put one into service.

Checking it at the previous announcement of v.1.0.291 (1A291c), it showed 1.0.276. Yesterday I put another one is service and today, it shows v.1.0.225. I expect the remaining two will also show .225.

Since the day of the announcement of the .291 (c) update, I've kept the phone and my AirTag and phone practically as conjoined twins, but no joy. Maybe this second update (e) coming down the pike caused the first one to be pulled back.

I'm guessing neither of these updates hold any real benefit for me, so I've stopped obsessing about them getting updated.
    dewmellama
  • Reply 13 of 16
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    I have three AirTags. They’ve been sitting next to my iPhone 12 Pro for weeks. All still read 276. 🙄
  • Reply 14 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Has Apple published released notes detailing the functional changes in each firmware update? It seems like the availability of sw/fw updates always generates a wave of FOMO even if there is no clear end-user consumable benefit for the update.

Considering the size, limited power budget, and limited connectivity of these minuscule devices they must be pushing updates at a very slow rate or opportunistically trickling just a few bytes at a time on top of normal user-consumable functional interactions with the tag. You probably wouldn't want to knock off months of run-time off a tag to push non-critical updates to the device all at once. I know that battery/solar powered telemetry devices often employ an opportunistic strategy for performing updates, i.e., piggyback a few update bits on top of normal traffic rather than performing a dedicated update operation. In other words, if the end device isn't talking very much the updates will be slower to arrive.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Running 276 on mine still, too.

But I discovered today that it had stopped reporting for a second time, and the last known location was from 4 days ago. I had to add it back to “Find My”.

Yesterday it did its “chirping” noise as it sometimes does when it is moved after not being near my phone a while, so I didn’t think to check.

Today, it’s not making any sounds at all, even after removing/putting back the battery to reset it.

Without any release notes it’s difficult to know if these might be problems being fixed by the firmware updates, or not.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Finally!  On Wednesday morning after the Event, my two active Tags were updated to 1.0.291. I'm not going to activate my other two just to get them updated. They can wait.