Black & White Apple Pro Mice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm planning on purchasing an Apple Pro Mouse for my PB. Is there any technical difference between the black and the white devices? I sort of know the black ones came out first, but I just want to make sure they do the exact same stuff.

Which one do you like better? I'd like to hear suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    They're functionally identical, it's just the inner housing that's a different colour.

Though the white ones look gay.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Xidius:
  • Reply 3 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Or, he could just mean that they look gay.

Someone has homosexuality on the brain, and I don't think it's Overhope.

• Reply 4 of 39
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I'm planning on purchasing an Apple Pro Mouse for my PB. Is there any technical difference between the black and the white devices? I sort of know the black ones came out first, but I just want to make sure they do the exact same stuff.

Which one do you like better? I'd like to hear suggestions.

Unless you can find a dealer which has the black mouse in stock, you won't be able to buy it, since Apple stopped selling it.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    What JLL said.

Black Pro Mouse is EOL.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I liked the white keyboard better, but it really does get ratty and fully of visible dust, hair, lint etc etc, you should see the ones in the new undergrad labs, they keyboards are already ugly.

I didn't like the black either because the keys had a nasty habit of going all shiny and being hard to see under different lighting conditions. More Blech!

I don't think it's a problem with the mice though, and both look good.

Apple should replace their pro keyboards with a metal version with similar key action to their new PB's and backlit key technology, powered over USB, natch. At the very least make the clear plastic on the current keyboards opaque by painting the inside, like the current iBooks -- that way the keep their transluscence. The injected white case of the CD-rom iBook does indeed look gay.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    I ask cos a CompUSA store kinda close to me has white ones "in stock" and black ones "in limited quantities." I'm leaning towards the black one. I hope I can still find it.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I think the white one is gay too.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

I ask cos a CompUSA store kinda close to me has white ones "in stock" and black ones "in limited quantities." I'm leaning towards the black one. I hope I can still find it.

try one of the major resellers like compusa or frys electronics as they may still carry them, even though the black mice are EOL'ed. my local compuhut still had about seven black mice in stock.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

try one of the major resellers like compusa or frys electronics as they may still carry them, even though the black mice are EOL'ed. my local compuhut still had about seven black mice in stock.

Thanks, I'll try that.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Why Apple's when you can get some nice looking MULTI-BUTTON mouses for half the price?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Multi button!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Kill HIM. Beat him to death. Eat his dog!

sorry that kind of just came out unexpected.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Get the logitech mouse.......soooooo sweet.

BEN
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Multi button mice.. well.. I wouldn't buy logitech. I'm kinda pissed at their OSX support. My PC webcam won't work on the mac. So I'm banning them! Unless they have some really cool stuff.

And MS mice.. well.. trying to avoid them. I'm a switcher and I want as little as MS as I can handle... Besides the Pro Mice are stylish! I love the feel of it when you "click."
  • Reply 15 of 39
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I'd have to agree with looking for a Logitech mouse. I got a really good deal ($15) on a traveler optical mouse (brushed metal and black - two button plus scrollwheel, which I have admittedly grown to like having used Windows so much at work). It really isn't that much smaller (but you can feel the size difference upon moving to a full-size mouse) -- works well with/coordinates nicely with my TiBook, too.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Someone has homosexuality on the brain, and I don't think it's Overhope.

and who do you have in view?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Multi button mice.. well.. I wouldn't buy logitech. I'm kinda pissed at their OSX support. My PC webcam won't work on the mac. So I'm banning them! Unless they have some really cool stuff.

And MS mice.. well.. trying to avoid them. I'm a switcher and I want as little as MS as I can handle... Besides the Pro Mice are stylish! I love the feel of it when you "click."

They have great mouse support. I would actualy prefer the Apple mouse for most things, but sometimes it's handy t have the extra buttons. Mostly they just get in the way, though. But it's the mousing of the Logitech that makes it good. It has a really good optical sensor.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The one thing really lacking from Logitech's OS X drivers is support for different button functions in different applications. Otherwise it's fine.

I have to admit, after getting an MS mouse I'm spoiled by the good software drivers MS writes. I can navigate the finder using my side buttons, or change it to back and forward for browsing the web, or have them zoom in and out in Preview, and so on. Very handy. MS isn't a very nice company but their drivers are good. And so is the XBox. So I wouldn't just avoid MS mice completely. But their mice tend to feel very light and somewhat cheap when you first get them - Logitech mice are pretty heavy on the other hand.

For good drivers, though, try Kensington. I absolutely HATE the Studio Mouse but I admit the drivers are excellent. They allow you to set a function to a left-right chord, and change the amount of acceleration.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Thanks for your input. I'll consider all the options
  • Reply 20 of 39
    spiffsterspiffster Posts: 327member
    IIRC, the Apple Pro Mice are $50, correct? Well that same $50 can get you a Logitech MX700. Best mouse ever created. I got it to replace the white pro mouse that came with my iMac. The Pro Mouse was too small for my hands, and the tracking just didn't feel right to me.

Also, get MouseZoom. This little control panel lets you set your mouse sensitivity has high as you want. I really don't know how I lived with out it.