2022 'iPhone 14' revealed by leakers days before 'iPhone 13' announcement

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
Renders for the "iPhone 14" have been shared by Jon Prosser a full year before its expected announcement, showcasing a design lacking both the notch and the camera bump.

'iPhone 14' render Image credit: Jon Prosser and Front Page Tech
'iPhone 14' render Image credit: Jon Prosser and Front Page Tech

The "iPhone 13" may still be days away from being announced, but that hasn't stopped Jon Prosser leaking its successor. The renders for the "iPhone 14" show a similar design with a hole-punch camera and no camera bump on the rear.

According to a report from Front Page Tech, the "iPhone 14" will feature slight design changes that address many user complaints. The hole-punch style camera replaces the large notch and the rear of the device is now flush thanks to no camera bump.

Prosser says he only saw images of the "iPhone 14 Pro Max" and has no knowledge of the technology being used to enable these design changes. The renders shared show several colors, but those are made up for the render, with the exception of the gold color. Prosser says he's seen this color, though it may not be final.

Other new design changes include round volume buttons, similar to the iPhone 4, and changes to the glass-sandwich design. This blend of design changes make the "iPhone 14" look like a futuristic iPhone 4.

A gold 'iPhone 14' image credit: Jon Prosser and Front Page Tech
A gold 'iPhone 14' image credit: Jon Prosser and Front Page Tech

Jon Prosser has a fairly accurate history when it comes to design aspects, colors, or expected features. He's made a few poor predictions, especially when it comes to release dates, but his sources appear to have access to some sensitive information.

This isn't the first time we've heard information pertaining to the "iPhone 14." Ming-Chi Kuo, a longtime supply chain analyst, says that Apple is developing a 48MP camera with 8K video support for the 2022 iPhone.

Hole-punch camera and iPhone 4 design. Image credit: Jon Prosser and Front Page Tech
Hole-punch camera and iPhone 4 design. Image credit: Jon Prosser and Front Page Tech

Another rumor says Apple could bring titanium alloy to the frame of its "iPhone 14." That same report suggests the 2022 iPhone cycle will be a "supercycle" thanks to high demand for its expected upgrades.

Other long-time rumors for the iPhone suggest it could go port-less, meaning there will be no Lightning port or USB-C port. Such a device would rely upon wireless communication, wireless charging, and perhaps only a physical connection via MagSafe for data and power when needed. However, Prosser's leaks show a Lightning port in the "iPhone 14."

Apple will announce the "iPhone 13" during its September 14 "California Streaming" event. Once announced, expect the floodgates to open for "iPhone 14" speculation and rumors.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I’ll wait…
  • Reply 2 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Even if these are real, a dubious assumption at best, the design will not be finalized for some months yet. It could still change significantly. These are either some designers fantasy, they seem to have all the suggested ideas people on the web want, or a pre-pre-pre-prototype design that will almost certainly change significantly be3fore the final product. 
    pulseimagespatchythepirateGraeme000urahara9secondkox2williamlondoncaladanianStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Hard to imagine the impetus for putting 8K video on a phone.

I know some Android phones can do this, but unless you're doing heavy video crops it's hard to see why you'd want it.

On Android everything is a specs race, so it makes sense there (though no one probably uses it more than once).
    patchythepirateGraeme000StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Is this post supposed to tamp down demand for the iPhone 13? Where art thou Samsung?

Will not work. I am on the Upgrade program and will be getting every new iPhone. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Looking forward to purchasing the iPhone 13, 14, 15, and so on.
    urahara9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28

I know some Android phones can do this, but unless you're doing heavy video crops it's hard to see why you'd want it.

On Android everything is a specs race, so it makes sense there (though no one probably uses it more than once).
    In a pinch or mixed environment, 8k is NEEDED for recording. In the editing process, you are cropping, zooming, and it provides the freedom to get creative without throwing quality out the door. 

This will be a huge deal. 
    fastasleeppatchythepiratecaladanian
  • Reply 7 of 28
    I like the idea of removing the camera bump by changing the glass-sandwich design.  I'd choose that over any notch removal changes if it has to be one or the other.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Doubting that punchhole camera when Apple have been filing patents for behind-display camera technology for over a decade.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    This message brought to you by Samsung. Samsung, always a nudge away from being great.
    Graeme000watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    I'll be sorely tempted if this model doesn't have a camera bump. My OCD demands that the phone lays flat on a table. Tried a MagSafe case on my 12 and abandoned it after about 6 months due to the not flatness, and got a Rhinoshield bumper case that lets it lay flat on a table. Don't know what type of lens design they are going to have to enable an 8mm thick device to not have a camera bump. It will be interesting to see. Some skepticism is warranted.

On the other hand, I'm good with having 6 mm of margin/bezels on the top and bottom in the front for cameras, sensors, speakers and mics. Not a fan of notches nor holes in what should be a rectilinear display. Having multiple front cams would enable some interesting face corrections for video calls.
    muthuk_vanalingampatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Doubting that punchhole camera when Apple have been filing patents for behind-display camera technology for over a decade.
    Agreed. Even if the behind display isn’t ready by then it would be pointless for them to do a punch hole as it would make it indistinguishable from other brands at first glance…and they want others to easily know you have an iPhone.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    I like the design, if this is coming. But this is just one of those things, the 2023 iPhones will be even better. And the year after that even better.

I think I’ll buy either 12 used or at discount or the 13 to replace my 7 as a Christmas present for myself. Or just wait one more year, due to COVID I don’t really need a new phone, even if the cameras are really tempting…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    How long before Apple shuts that leak down? Was watching the videos that Jon, Sam Kohl,  Brian Tong and Luke Miani posted regarding this and so many of them going “oh with these changes, there’s no point getting the 13” are the purposely trying to screw with demand? 

Watch, just to spite him, they won’t put those elements in there, I mean, it’s over a year! They’re s probably designing the thing, deciding what features are going to be included and all that.
    Dave Cummingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    The only thing that would steer me to a 14 would be if they made a 14 mini with a fingerprint reader under the glass. Some of us don’t need or want giant phones. Unfortunately the rumor is that there will not be a mini after the 13. My 1st gen SE will get iOS 15 but I’m sure that’ll be the final and apple already doesn’t deal with the SE screen size well on many of the native apps.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    ...and where's my folding iPhone?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Agreed. Even if the behind display isn’t ready by then it would be pointless for them to do a punch hole as it would make it indistinguishable from other brands at first glance…and they want others to easily know you have an iPhone.
    Given the generally design of the OS they could move the single hole lower centreline with the bottom edge of the navigation bar.
    Makes it a more natural eye position for FaceTime and looking at many apps seems to be a bit of a dead zone in terms of taps and content. 

Where will the speaker be with this design?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28

It's actually not difficult to imagine at all. One could rattle off several reasons, but just to name the most obvious one, studio films are already being shot exclusively with iPhones. The usefulness of being able to shoot in 8K for that application is self-evident.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    ...and where's my folding iPhone?

Hopefully nowhere. Forever. It's a stupid design concept, adds no value, and is also impossible to execute in a desirable and durable product.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Nonsense, but look at his views. He's doing well being amplified by rumor sites lapping it up.

EsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Hard to believe anything posted regarding iPhone 14 but one thing not mention and true is iPhone 14 will upgrade to A16 processor.
    watto_cobra