Facebook launches $299 Ray-Ban Stories smart glasses

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook's $299 Ray-Ban Stories smart glasses come in 20 style combinations and connect to your smartphone to perform basic tasks.

Ray-Ban Stories from Facebook
Ray-Ban Stories from Facebook

The Ray-Ban Stories smart glasses house two 5MP cameras for taking photos from a first-person perspective. They connect to your smartphone to make calls, play music, and share photos using voice commands.

The glasses are designed "with privacy in mind" with built-in features to provide control and peace of mind. A privacy micro site has been designed to describe the privacy functions in detail.

Facebook says the glasses play a shutter sound and flash an LED any time a photo is taken. This is meant to alert people around you of the captured photo or video to ease people's mistrust of face-mounted cameras.

"Tampering with this light is against our terms of service," Facebook says. It's not clear how the company will enforce this, or even know that it's happening.

Facebook promises not to use your captured images for advertising
Facebook promises not to use your captured images for advertising

The privacy report says that all information captured by the Ray-Ban Stories belongs to the user and is not used for ads, even when stored within the dedicated Facebook View app. However, once the media is shared, those app's terms apply.

The smart glasses are designed to promote Facebook's product offerings but want to remain service agnostic as well. Photos and video captured by the glasses are saved in the Facebook View app and shared to any compatible platform like TikTok and Snapchat.

Unlike Snap Spectacles, the obvious competitor to Ray-Ban Stories, these glasses can playback audio and be used for calls. In addition, there is a built-in voice assistant that enables some control without interacting with a smartphone or glasses.

In an interview with Fast Company, Mark Zuckerberg discussed the implementation of the glasses and what's next for the technology. He notes these are the first step to an augmented reality future.

Zuckerberg calls Ray-Ban Stories "one milestone on the path to what we envision is the long-term augmented reality glasses."

"There's a bunch of work that still needs to be done there, but while we're working on that long-term vision, I think it's also helpful to kind of work our way up and say 'What's possible and what can we unlock for people today?'" said Zuckerberg. "And that's what this product ends up being."

While these aren't the Project Aria AR glasses that were expected, they pave the way towards a wearable-technology future. Apple has been working on a set of AR glasses as well, often called "Apple Glass."

The Ray-Ban Stories glasses are now available for purchase starting at $299. There are 20 different style options available when choosing color and design.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Because what could possibly go wrong with FB having access to every bit of data you collect or view all day long…
    scout6900sconosciutonapoleon_phoneapartwilliamlondonfotoformath4y3spscooter63lkruppmacxpressviclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 29
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    How do I opt out of people recording me with these?
    sconosciutonapoleon_phoneapartwilliamlondonfotoformatJanNLScot1pscooter63viclauyycpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    zimmie said:
    How do I opt out of people recording me with these?
    A Burka would do it. Well you’d be recorded but with no way of knowing g it was you. 

edited September 2021 JWSCmariowincowatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NFW not in a million billion gazillion years

How did Facebook phone work out? How did Portal work out?

Whenever I am tempted to think that the broad mass of people are hopelessly irretrievably stupid, I remember that at least they have Zuck's number, even your grandmother who can barely manage to turn on the computer all by herself knows to not trust FB to do the right thing with their personal data.
    edited September 2021 Mactintfirelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Hahahahaha FB with privacy in mind…..hop-diddy
    williamlondonviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Zero chance of me using this.     On a side note,  was just telling a friend at dinner that I rarely use Facebook anymore and don’t have time or interest in it. I don’t know how people can spend so much of their time on there looking at what everybody else is doing.  
    endscryptwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    How long did Google Glass live before it was canned? Weeks?

Can we have an over/under timeframe for FaceBook's Frames' demise?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    The big unaddressed privacy problem is the one Zimmie brings up - wtf about people who don't want their privacy violated by having their picture taken without permission, and then posted online for the whole world to see?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    RIP Ray-bans once respected brand 
    williamlondonpscooter63ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I see products like this and wonder who would buy such a thing. Then realize half the population has below average intelligence. 
    williamlondonfotoformatviclauyycpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    applguy said:
    I see products like this and wonder who would buy such a thing. Then realize half the population has below average intelligence. 
    All of whom are engaged in life's popularity competition using pictures and social networks as tools of combat.
    ravnorodomapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    applguy said:
    All of whom are engaged in life's popularity competition using pictures and social networks as tools of combat.
    What boggled (and continues to boggle) my mind was when I realized all of these people had learned, in depth, how to take and edit photos/videos, then post and organize them on social media.  When, for years before social media, it was literally impossible to teach those same people how to create documents on a computer and use other tools that are essential for work.  Narcissism is a very powerful learning motivation for some people it seems.

williamlondonpscooter63JWSCravnorodommariowincoviclauyycapplguypatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 29
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    The big unaddressed privacy problem is the one Zimmie brings up - wtf about people who don't want their privacy violated by having their picture taken without permission, and then posted online for the whole world to see?
    https://www.thesignaljammer.com/products/wireless-spy-camera-wifi-bluetooth-jammer/

For the Gordon Gekko in all of us, lol. Seriously though, I suspect products like these will gain in popularity and sizes will shrink in time. 
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    When Facebook talks about privacy - they talk about how only you *and facebook* can access the data, so it's safe from people like hackers. They do this to distract from the wider conversation of what Facebook is doing with your data.

Facebook aint your friend.
    williamlondonviclauyycpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    The glasses is butt ugly with that two lens sticking out. It's too geeky for Ray-Ban.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    I’m long FB and I believe the company can yet grow a lot. 

When Facebook talks about privacy - they talk about how only you *and facebook* can access the data, so it's safe from people like hackers. They do this to distract from the wider conversation of what Facebook is doing with your data.

Facebook aint your friend.

• Reply 17 of 29
    Because you can’t already do that with your phone? 
    williamlondongatorguycrowley
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Don't think about wearing these at any work place. The data theft problem will squash that.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    This is too blatantly stupid to be a serious product, just a way to slightly warm the water on the way towards boiling totalitarianism.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Reminder: 
    https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/bizarre-google-glass-stories/

Does no one remember anything?

edited September 2021 watto_cobra