Fired Apple employee who aired workplace concerns gets approval to sue company

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    I am not sure who is in the right of this matter. But it seems to me that her sue is just like the Epic one. 

She purposely do something that is not allowed in Apple’s contract. Apple fired her as result . Then she sue immediately. The only thing she didn’t do like Epic is post a copycat 1984 video. 
    jajabento
  • Reply 22 of 43
    jdw said:
    Because they enjoy having them.
    Some enjoy having unprotected you-know-what, but that isn't good for them most of the time either.  

"Do it if it feels right" isn't the best policy in life.
    Why is it any of your business to criticize people with tattoos? I would never get one myself but it isn’t any of my business what someone else enjoys. You remind me of my sister who when she sees someone across a restaurant with a tattoo has to bitch about it.
    williamlondonbaconstangelijahg
  • Reply 23 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jdw said:

100% Natural Skin.  It does a body good.
    Aside from a small infection chance while piercings heal, there is no evidence that they are bad for skin. The freedom of self expression on the other hand is very healthy, irrespective of the small mindedness and judgmental busybody tendencies of certain parts of society.
    edited September 2021 ronnelijahg
  • Reply 24 of 43
    She shows traits to me of someone with Borderline Personality Disorder.  And just like Johnny Depps ex malignant narcissist BPD wife shows the exact same victimization toolbox.  People should report abuse but her behavior is someone indicative of BPD.  My mother and one of my best friends with BPD acts the same as this person.  
    edited September 2021 stompywilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Bosa said:
    Let her do it and we can see the psychopath in all her glory

Doctor Bosa, I sense your diagnosis is based on articles  you read in tech media and the 
    comments from readers? If so, I applaud your scientific approach to diagnosing and labeling someone a psychopath.

Can you define psychopath without looking up the definition? 

ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 43
    DoomFreak said:
    Apple is hypocritical.  How they pretend to act in the public eye is very different from how they actually act.  They appear to be concerned with customer privacy, yet, offer up user's private data to third party companies.  They appear to be egalitarian while having no fairness or equality in the workplace.
    Big difference between 'customer' and 'employee'....ya know?
    rcfa
  • Reply 27 of 43
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    jdw said:
    genovelle said:
    Did she consider the toxins in her tattoos?
    ...Why in THE world human beings these days feel the need to ... pierce their bodies with needles ... into the skin is something I will NEVER comprehend.  People do it because it's popular.  ...
    Does your stated logic also apply to body and ear piercings? For me, it does. Do you feel the same?
    Yes, I feel the same.  Admittedly, I do hate needles.  But I still don't understand why tattoos and piercings have become so popular over the last decade.  Human beings are a bit too fickle to get something etched into their bodies for life.  Goodness knows most married couples can't even stay married regardless of their promise to remain married "until death" do they part. So if a 20 year old gets a tattoo, will they honestly love that thing until death? If not, will they have the money to get it professional removed when they finally realize they got it due to what was fashionable at the time, rather than what common sense dictated?  At least with bee hive hair styles in the 60's and bell bottoms in the 70's, you could easy just stop doing that after the fads died off.  But when you tattoo and punch holes in your body, that sticks with you for pretty much the rest of your life.

And as to the "freedom of expression" arguments, why not get a temporary tattoo instead?  Express yourself as you like but easily change your mind later at next to no additional cost.  Again, people change.  We don't stay the same, and I don't just mean physical age.  We mentally change too.  What we did 30 years ago, isn't necessarily what we want now.  But when you use your freedom of expression to make a (mostly) permanent change to your body, it could be something you regret later in life.  I've met many a person who told me just that.  As such, I don't just teach my kids to "do what feels good" or "express your freedom as you like."  I suggest a little common sense to be mixed with their freedom of choice.  It's only reasonable.
    rcfawilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 43
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
    genovelle said:
    ...Why in THE world human beings these days feel the need to ... pierce their bodies with needles ... into the skin is something I will NEVER comprehend.  People do it because it's popular.  ...
    Does your stated logic also apply to body and ear piercings? For me, it does. Do you feel the same?
    Yes, I feel the same.  Admittedly, I do hate needles.  But I still don't understand why tattoos and piercings have become so popular over the last decade.  Human beings are a bit too fickle to get something etched into their bodies for life.  Goodness knows most married couples can't even stay married regardless of their promise to remain married "until death" do they part. So if a 20 year old gets a tattoo, will they honestly love that thing until death? If not, will they have the money to get it professional removed when they finally realize they got it due to what was fashionable at the time, rather than what common sense dictated?  At least with bee hive hair styles in the 60's and bell bottoms in the 70's, you could easy just stop doing that after the fads died off.  But when you tattoo and punch holes in your body, that sticks with you for pretty much the rest of your life.

And as to the "freedom of expression" arguments, why not get a temporary tattoo instead?  Express yourself as you like but easily change your mind later at next to no additional cost.  Again, people change.  We don't stay the same, and I don't just mean physical age.  We mentally change too.  What we did 30 years ago, isn't necessarily what we want now.  But when you use your freedom of expression to make a (mostly) permanent change to your body, it could be something you regret later in life.  I've met many a person who told me just that.  As such, I don't just teach my kids to "do what feels good" or "express your freedom as you like."  I suggest a little common sense to be mixed with their freedom of choice.  It's only reasonable.
    You know what's more reasonable?  Letting adults make their own decisions about what they do with their bodies and minding your own damn business.
    elijahgronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Apple have plenty of lawyers…maybe the same amount of HR employees.

BUT they decided to send her the most vague termination email and it only screams retaliation.

A lot of you in the comments are dreaming if a lawyer isn’t going to be interested in representing her. This is a great case for settle and NDA. She maybe mental or not (I am not a doctor to diagnose her through internet articles like most of you) but she (her case) may be catalyst for other Apple disgruntled employees to come forward for similar situations.
    williamlondonronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 43
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Looks like a lawsuit was her endgame to begin with…
    jajabento
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Bosa said:
    crowley said:
    The speed and seeming duplicity of her dismissal certainly lends weight to such a lawsuit.  I honestly can't understand what Apple thought they were doing with that "not to participate in the discussion" comment; that's a massive point of weakness they've left themselves.

The termination has every appearance of being motivated by retaliation, and on that basis alone she has a case.
    Apple was being super lenient for what she did, her violations were obvious and they still paid her for months to investigate when it was obvious what she did from day one.

I don’t think she will ever get hired ever again, she has herself to thank 
    Ok, so what did she do? As far as I understand Apple has not detailed any reason for firing her, so where did you get your information?
    elijahgwilliamlondonronn
  • Reply 32 of 43
    jdw said:
    Because they enjoy having them.
    Some enjoy having unprotected you-know-what, but that isn't good for them most of the time either.  

"Do it if it feels right" isn't the best policy in life.
    Why is it any of your business to criticize people with tattoos? I would never get one myself but it isn’t any of my business what someone else enjoys. You remind me of my sister who when she sees someone across a restaurant with a tattoo has to bitch about it.
    It then anyone‘s business, when someone ludicrously injects untested poisonous ink under their skin, and then tries to sue others for supposedly creating a toxic environment.

Just as stupid as all the tattooed, smoking, drinking, drug consuming, fast food eating people being “concerned” about the supposedly “toxic” ingredients of well tested vaccines 🤦🏻‍♂️
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 43
    DoomFreak said:
    Apple is hypocritical.  How they pretend to act in the public eye is very different from how they actually act.  They appear to be concerned with customer privacy, yet, offer up user's private data to third party companies.  They appear to be egalitarian while having no fairness or equality in the workplace.
    Big difference between 'customer' and 'employee'....ya know?
    Also big difference between work life and private life.
    There’s no reason for privacy for work: you get paid for work, and the company has the right to know what you do on their premises, on their equipment, on their dime. The only exception is the bathroom break, unless you take your phone with you or take drugs there.

The moment you clock out and leave the premises, your privacy returns. So just don’t abuse paid work time to do things that require privacy, problem solved.
    jajabentobaconstang
  • Reply 34 of 43
    crowley said:
    jdw said:

Aside from a small infection chance while piercings heal, there is no evidence that they are bad for skin. 

Do you know how to do a web search?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/tattoos-and-piercings/art-20045067 <--

Tattoos breach the skin, which means that skin infections and other complications are possible, including:

• Allergic reactions. Tattoo dyes — especially red, green, yellow and blue dyes — can cause allergic skin reactions, such as an itchy rash at the tattoo site. This can occur even years after you get the tattoo.
    • Skin infections. A skin infection is possible after tattooing.
    • Other skin problems.Sometimes an area of inflammation called a granuloma can form around tattoo ink. Tattooing also can lead to keloids — raised areas caused by an overgrowth of scar tissue.
    • Bloodborne diseases. If the equipment used to create your tattoo is contaminated with infected blood, you can contract various bloodborne diseases — including methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), hepatitis B and hepatitis C.
    • MRI complications. Rarely, tattoos or permanent makeup might cause swelling or burning in the affected areas during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exams. In some cases, tattoo pigments can interfere with the quality of the image.
    https://www.news24.com/health24/medical/skin/about-skin/5-dangerous-health-risks-of-tattoos-20180504 <--

1. You could be allergic to the ink

2. A tattoo could hide skin cancer

3. It could affect how you sweat

4. It could raise your risk of a bacterial infection

5. A tattoo may lead to complications during medical procedures (like MRIs)

• Reply 35 of 43
    crowley said:
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
    genovelle said:

You know what's more reasonable?  Letting adults make their own decisions about what they do with their bodies and minding your own damn business.
    For someone who spends so much time telling others what to do, that's hilariously ironic. You talk about freedom of expression but you are keen to tell others to shut up.
    jdw
  • Reply 36 of 43
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    In case some people missed it, Ms. Gjovik is studying law at Santa Clara University School of Law.  I would hazard a guess that she has no plans to return to the tech field as a manager of any kind, and really never did.  The legal actions she is undertaking or about to undertake are more likely resume builders for future employment at law firms focused on employee advocacy and employee rights.  She may believe in what she is doing.  But it is also a self-serving move that could catapult her to prominence in the legal profession, should any of her legal actions prove victorious.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    crowley said:
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
    genovelle said:

For someone who spends so much time telling others what to do, that's hilariously ironic. You talk about freedom of expression but you are keen to tell others to shut up.
    I do my best to ignore your ignorant and infuriatingly stupid ponderings and your mind-numbingly idiotic attempts at humour, so please don't talk to me; I'm not interested in anything you have to say.
    ronnelijahg
  • Reply 38 of 43
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Bosa said:
    JWSC said:
    In case some people missed it, Ms. Gjovik is studying law at Santa Clara University School of Law.  I would hazard a guess that she has no plans to return to the tech field as a manager of any kind, and really never did.  The legal actions she is undertaking or about to undertake are more likely resume builders for future employment at law firms focused on employee advocacy and employee rights.  She may believe in what she is doing.  But it is also a self-serving move that could catapult her to prominence in the legal profession, should any of her legal actions prove victorious.
    Yes , “I was harassed when my manager complimented me saying I did better in a presentation “ yeah that will work everywhere!

Apple is paying for her law school as well as her 386k salary. That is very nice but given her history, no law firm will hire her  and will pay her close to 386k lol
    If she wins any of her legal actions, what is your logical argument to say that no law firm will hire her?  Are you suggesting she is foolish enough to sue a law firm?  Well, who knows.  Maybe she is.  But I doubt those doing the hiring at law firms will see it that way.  They’ll be far more focused on how much they might earn engaging in similar lawsuits across the country.
    h2p
  • Reply 39 of 43
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    crowley said:
    LOL. Let's examine that "reasoning," shall we?  You could've just allowed me as an Adult to use my body to type my opinion and mind your own business, but you didn't.  :-)

The good news for you is that in a forum like this, we don't mind our business.  We share thoughts as per the nature of online forums.  Everyone has a strong opinion, especially you, Crowley.  If you didn't crow about something at least 10 times a day in this forum, you'd no doubt be extremely lonely and feel unfulfilled.

Happy Crowing!
  • Reply 40 of 43
    jdw said:
    crowley said:
    LOL. Let's examine that "reasoning," shall we?  You could've just allowed me as an Adult to use my body to type my opinion and mind your own business, but you didn't.  :-)
    Don't be fucking absurd.  I have no opinion on what you privately do with your body, your life, or what bigoted trash you care to fill your head with.  Keep it to yourself and we're fine.  When you start whining about what other people do with theirs, that's when I tell you to put a cork in it, no one cares for your irrelevant opinions.
    ronnelijahg