Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.6 with security fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2021
Apple has released macOS Big Sur 11.6 to the public with security and bug fixes.

Like macOS 11.5.1 in July and 11.5.2 in August, this update has arrived without a beta period for testing. Apple lists bug fixes and security improvements in the update description.

At this time, it is unclear exactly what the new build offers, outside a maintenance and compatibility release. As macOS Monterey with a host of new features is currently being beta-tested, it seems unlikely that there will be major changes in the build.

The new macOS update will automatically download and install for users who have that option enabled. Users can also navigate to System Preferences to initiate the update manually.

Apple is in the process of testing macOS Monterey. The newest version of macOS is expected to see release in Fall 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Unsure? Just read the link https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222 Apple provided during the installation. This lists everything coming out today including the Big Sur fixes, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212804. Maybe you should take the extra step before saying you don't know what's included.
    pulseimagesMplsP
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Interesting. Big Sur 11.6 is showing for my Intel MacBook Pro, but not for my M1 Mac mini.
    forgot usernamelineywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Same as Kris2112 - my Intel MBP shows the update, but my M1 MacBook Air does not. Waiting to see what happens.
    lineywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Same for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Same for my M1 iMac. Must be an update really directed toward Intel systems.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    After updating, a bunch of my apps were being verified. Never saw this before. (on intel Mac)

My M1 MBA is updating right now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    West coast time zone: 2:47 PM - M1 MBA updating to 11.6 now.
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Today the NYT published an article, 

Apple Issues Emergency Security Updates to Close a Spyware Flaw

• Reply 9 of 11
    Researchers at Citizen Lab found that NSO Group, an Israeli spyware company, had infected Apple products without so much as a click.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I have no desire to upgrade anything macOS any more. Nor do I want a speaker that listens or a watch that syncs my most personal info via server farm in the USA. My Photos app is empty due to always on image tagging. I have turned 'Find My iPhone' off. Should users be able to locate or wipe an iPhone after a loss without needing this on 24/7?  My 2010 pro is as fast as the base 2019, yet 'obsolete' + unsupported. I'd rather keep using it. It was and is still 'insanely great' and fast enough. This increasingly feels like a lost decade.
    edited September 2021 ivanh
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    I have no desire to upgrade anything macOS any more. Nor do I want a speaker that listens or a watch that syncs my most personal info via server farm in the USA. My Photos app is empty due to always on image tagging. I have turned 'Find My iPhone' off. Should users be able to locate or wipe an iPhone after a loss without needing this on 24/7?  My 2010 pro is as fast as the base 2019, yet 'obsolete' + unsupported. I'd rather keep using it. It was and is still 'insanely great' and fast enough. This increasingly feels like a lost decade.
    Exactly! 
    “Quality” in the traditional sense means durable. An electronic equipment is durable and can be used for 10 or 15 years are accredited “great quality” and the brand names a quality great brand.
    My MBP 2011 & MMS 2012 (customised with multiple upgrades) are the best machines running VMs, NAS, Windows, Linux and etc. They are still super fast!
    Likewise, I took the best quality photos on iPhone 4s, and couldn’t get the same quality on iPhone 11 Pro Mac and iPhone 12 Max. 
    Apple is no longer my quality brand post Job’s era.