iPad mini 6 accessory listing hints at October release

Posted:
in iPad
A product page for an iPad mini 6 accessory suggests that the next-generation tablet could make its debut sometime in October.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The listing on Amazon, first spotted by Gizmodo Japan is for a screen protector that fits the rumored 8.38-inch display on the iPad mini. Lining up with current rumors, the screen protector features a bezel-free design, while the iPad mini mockup has squared edges like current iPad Pro models.

As far as the release date, the product page lists it as Wednesday Oct. 20.

Third-party accessory makers don't generally receive information before-hand from Apple pertaining to release dates or new features. Instead, they base their new products and release timelines on rumors and supply chain information.

Apple will hold an event on Tuesday, Sept. 14, though that keynote is likely to only focus on new iPhone and Apple Watch models. The company is more likely to debut new Macs and iPads at an event in October or early November. Oct. 20 is a possibility, since most Apple events take place on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Alongside an updated iPad mini with a larger display, slimmer bezels, and upgraded chipset, the Cupertino tech giant is also reportedly working on an entry-level iPad model with a faster processor and slimmer form factor. Both devices, along with a new 16-inch MacBook Pro and 14-inch MacBook Pro, are expected to debut before the end of 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Just this morning I started looking into a new iPad mini for my wife (who uses it for work).  If a new model is coming, I do hope they reveal it today as her old mini 2 is not capable of running the newer corporate apps (requiring iPadOS 13.0+) which are rolling out within the next couple of weeks.

However, if the iPad mini 6 requires iPadOS 15, I will get a mini 5.  The on-device CSAM scanning software is simply not acceptable to me.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    And miss out on the rumored new form factor on a new iPad Mini not to mention the new fabulous features iPadOS 15.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    And miss out on the rumored new form factor on a new iPad Mini not to mention the new fabulous features iPadOS 15.
    The primary feature needed is a functioning OS...  a manufacturer provided back door into the device is not a needed, wanted, desired, or fabulous feature.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Just this morning I started looking into a new iPad mini for my wife (who uses it for work).  If a new model is coming, I do hope they reveal it today as her old mini 2 is not capable of running the newer corporate apps (requiring iPadOS 13.0+) which are rolling out within the next couple of weeks.

However, if the iPad mini 6 requires iPadOS 15, I will get a mini 5.  The on-device CSAM scanning software is simply not acceptable to me.
    It will absolutely require iPadOS 15. Apple has never released new hardware with an old OS.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member

Corporate apps on a personal device == bad idea.

If the "corp" is setting standards for the devices and operating systems their business apps need to run on, and especially if the employees are required to use those apps to perform their jobs, the "corp" should be both supplying and managing the device, i.e., using a MDM solution. Doing anything less is putting the business and its customers at great risk.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dewme said:

Corporate apps on a personal device == bad idea.

If the "corp" is setting standards for the devices and operating systems their business apps need to run on, and especially if the employees are required to use those apps to perform their jobs, the "corp" should be both supplying and managing the device, i.e., using a MDM solution. Doing anything less is putting the business and its customers at great risk.
    In general I would agree with your statement.  However, the iPad is not a business requirement (more a personal luxury).  Her company provides all required hardware needed (computer, keyboard, etc.) and even gives a stipend to offset a portion of our internet access costs (in addition to a cellular stipend as she is available 24x7).  The iPad is something my wife uses to allow her to not be in her (home) office every single time she wants (or needs) to check on something.  Since the corporate software provides the facility to remotely wipe any device being used for work related matters she has no personal files on the iPad (or her work computer for that matter).