Apple unveils new iPad mini with updated design, 5G

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2021
Launched as part of Apple's fall event lineup, the updated sixth-generation iPad mini has an all-new design, with an edge-to-edge display and Apple Pencil 2 support.

As part of its raft of product launches in its September special event, Apple has updated the iPad mini for 2021. Arriving two and a half years after the last refresh to the iPad mini 5, the sixth-generation model brings the pint-sized tablet up to date, while still retaining its compact form.

Sporting an 8.3-inch Liquid Retina Display with a resolution of 2,266 by 1,488, the new iPad mini fits into the same compact footprint as the previous model. The display also includes True Tone, Wide Color, and offers up to 500 nits of brightness.

To fit in the new display, Apple has moved Touch ID to a corner button, a trick it previously pulled in the iPad Air.

At the base of the iPad mini, Apple has made the switch over to USB-C instead of Lightning. Connectivity changes also include the addition of 5G support for the first time. Apple will include a USB-C cable and a 20W USB-C power adapter in the box.

iPad mini 6 in Purple

iPad mini 6 (2021)

A15 Bionic chip, 8.3-inch Liquid Retina display. Available in four colors, with Wi-Fi Only or Wi-Fi + Cellular. Prices listed are in USD.

For the cameras, the back features a 12-megapixel sensor with Focus Pixels and an f/1.8 aperture, as well as True Tone flash. A new Image Signal Processor enables Smart HDR improvements, with the camera also capable of recording 4K video.

The front camera has been upgraded to a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide camera with a 122-degree field of view. The change enables the iPad mini to gain Center Stage support, the automatic frame adjustment feature as seen in other iPad models.

Apple also introduced Apple Pencil 2 support, allowing for magnetic on-device charging to occur.

The audio system has also been improved, with the inclusion of stereo speakers when used in a landscape orientation.

Powering the iPad Mini is the A15 Bionic chip, featuring a 6-core CPU offering a 40% jump in performance, and a 5-core GPU boasting an 80% performance boost. The 16-core Neural Engine and new ML accelerators are said to make the A15 twice as fast at ML tasks than its predecessor.

The iPad mini is available to order in 28 countries and regions, with availability starting Friday, in 64GB and 256GB capacities. It will be offered in a pink, starlight, purple, and space gray finishes.

To go alongside the new iPad mini, Apple is introing several new Smart Folios that are color-matched to the new device. They attach magnetically to offer front and rear protection and can roll up to act as a portable stand.

The starting price is $499 for 64GB with Wi-Fi, while the Wi-Fi + Cellular models will start from $649.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 75unconfirmed, member
    Which processor are they packing in? 

*edit: thanks for update in article.
    edited September 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    At $499 vs $329 for the bigger iPad, I don't really see what the point of this is, aside from some barely noticeable CPU speed bumps vs the bigger one. Since you probably own an iPhone anyway, you could just get an iPhone 12/13 Plus for $200 more when you next upgrade, saving ~$200 (or $350 if you need cellular), have just one device rather than two, and you're not that far off iPad mini display size. The only major disadvantage is no pencil on iPhone.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 3 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Finally! Woo hoo.
    urashidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    elijahg said:
    At $499 vs $329 for the bigger iPad, I don't really see what the point of this is, aside from some barely noticeable CPU speed bumps vs the bigger one. Since you probably own an iPhone anyway, you could just get an iPhone 12/13 Plus for $200 more when you next upgrade, saving ~$200 (or $350 if you need cellular), have just one device rather than two, and you're not that far off iPad mini display size. The only major disadvantage is no pencil on iPhone.
    Here's the thing -- it's not about you. Some people prefer a smaller tablet. Not a phone, but a tablet. I enjoyed a mini for many years and preferred it over larger sizes.
    80s_Apple_GuyGraeme000muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonfirelockfastasleepionicleDetnatorwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 34
    iPad mini is great for children
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    elijahg said:
    Here's the thing -- it's not about you. Some people prefer a smaller tablet. Not a phone, but a tablet. I enjoyed a mini for many years and preferred it over larger sizes.
    I couldn’t agree more. The iPad Mini and the iPhone are for two very different sets of purposes. . . for most people. 
    80s_Apple_GuyGraeme000harry wildwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 34
    elijahg said:
    Right, but then I'd have to carry around a huge iPhone, and that huge iPhone would be too small to be a good iPad. What you're suggesting makes 0 (zero) sense.
    Graeme000fred1williamlondonfastasleepdrdavidDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    This can't be right, there must be a mistake. @MacQuadra840av said it would never happen.

You will never see it.  The iPad mini is a low cost iPad, just like the $329 iPad.  It will never look like the Air or Pro.

The one nice benefit of the mini and $329 iPad is the square cornered display, not the ridiculous rounded corners of the Pro and the Air.

williamlondondbvapordope_ahminewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    elijahg said:
    The mini is better for general aviation and fits on a knee board better with less/no impediment to the motion of the control stick between or above one's legs.  I've been waiting for this updated version of the mini since the iPad mini 3 and use it primarily with Foreflight.  
    elijahgwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    elijahg said:
    You don't say. That's why we're here isn't it? To discuss? I was wondering what the point of the mini is vs a bigger phone, and if people prefer a small tablet over a bigger phone, why is that? Genuinely curious, but of course all you can do is attack, rather than provide reasons, because that's all you're capable of doing.
    patchythepirateavon b7
  • Reply 11 of 34
    elijahg said:
    Absolutely.  100%.  

I have my own use cases, and I prefer an iPad mini for a lot of things, but it's not about my own use cases either.  It's nice to have options.
    williamlondonDetnatorwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 34
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    You don't say. That's why we're here isn't it? To discuss? I was wondering what the point of the mini is vs a bigger phone, and if people prefer a small tablet over a bigger phone, why is that? Genuinely curious, but of course all you can do is attack, rather than provide reasons, because that's all you're capable of doing.
    The bigger phone is still smaller than the mini. I like having a smaller iPad for travel and commute. I don’t need a huge phone. This is the best of both worlds. 
    Graeme000fred1williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Eric_WVGG said:
    elijahg said:
    Right, but then I'd have to carry around a huge iPhone, and that huge iPhone would be too small to be a good iPad. What you're suggesting makes 0 (zero) sense.
    Zero (0) sense for you perhaps. Your scenario means you'd still have to carry around an iPad mini, and an iPhone. Which makes less sense to me than just having one device. But that's fine - you prefer two devices. It's called preference. As above, I was wondering why people prefer to have two, and you haven't really said why it "makes 0 (zero) sense".
  • Reply 14 of 34
    quite a price bump - reflects (to me at least) that they’re worried about it cannibalizing other iPad sales if it priced like it’s predecessor 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    elijahg said:
    The mini is better for general aviation and fits on a knee board better with less/no impediment to the motion of the control stick between or above one's legs.  I've been waiting for this updated version of the mini since the iPad mini 3 and use it primarily with Foreflight.  
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    The bigger phone is still smaller than the mini. I like having a smaller iPad for travel and commute. I don’t need a huge phone. This is the best of both worlds. 
    Fair points, thanks!
    fred1
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Eric_WVGG said:
    elijahg said:
    Totally agree. I've used the original iPad mini for years and looking to replace it now with the new one. I'm using it mostly for lecture notes while teaching and don't want to carry around a larger iPad to school and back (I'll also use it for fitness+ and have used it for entertainment while travelling). I see it as totally different than my iPhone: I really have no interest in the iPhone Max as it's way to big for my daily use.
    harry wildwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    AppleInsider said:
    Powering the iPad Mini is the A15 Bionic chip, featuring a 6-core CPU offering a 40% jump in performance, and a 5-core GPU boasting an 80% performance boost.
    Mini gets A15 and normal iPad gets A13? Probably right, but still turns my head inside out that Mini is much more powerful than normal iPad. Yeah, I know ”iPad Pro” and such. But shouldn’t it be named ”Pro Mini” if anything?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Eric_WVGG said:
    elijahg said:
    I been waiting for this for a while now!  I own 3 Minis and I need to get this one ASAP!
    williamlondonmariowincowatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Graeme000 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    elijahg said:
    Totally agree. I've used the original iPad mini for years and looking to replace it now with the new one. I'm using it mostly for lecture notes while teaching and don't want to carry around a larger iPad to school and back (I'll also use it for fitness+ and have used it for entertainment while travelling). I see it as totally different than my iPhone: I really have no interest in the iPhone Max as it's way to big for my daily use.
    Agreed.  My phone and tablet have completely different purposes.  My iPhone 12 mini is a small, utilitarian, all-purpose device to get me through my mobile day.  My iPad is an at-home or more sedentary device that puts me in a completely different state of mind.  I don't carry or want to carry my iPad around with me everywhere, and I don't want a giant phone uncomfortably bumbling around in my pockets all day either.

The iPad mini feels like a great tablet replacement to my Pro 10.5, with a more comfortable form factor and a screen that's not far off.  Looking forward to picking one up.
    Graeme000williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    elijahg said:
    At $499 vs $329 for the bigger iPad, I don't really see what the point of this is, aside from some barely noticeable CPU speed bumps vs the bigger one.
    I realize this is a difficult concept for some people to wrap their heads around but not everyone's usage case is identical to yours. Moreover there are plenty of enterprise and institutional usage cases that the average Joe isn't going to be aware of.

I've owned full-size iPads (including the iPad 2) and various generations of the iPad mini and I have stuck with the latter for years. The 6th generation mini will replace my 4th generation mini.

It's okay if you don't buy this. Apple does not everyone to buy every single device they put out.

And if you don't see value in a new product for your particular needs, you are not obligated to mention it on a Q&A forum. You can still keep your thoughts to yourself.

If you are a direct or indirect AAPL shareholder (the latter like most Americans with a retirement account or pension plan), you should hope Apple Inc. sells many of these regardless whether or not you ever put one in your shopping cart.

edited September 2021 williamlondonfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra