iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max launch with ProMotion & Super Retina XDR display

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
Launched at the "California Streaming" special event, the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max offer improved cameras, ProMotion, and a smaller notch to potential customers.

Revealed on Tuesday alongside Apple's iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini, the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max are the premium end of Apple's smartphone range for 2021. Just like previous incarnations, the Pro models offer some extra bonuses compared to their non-Pro counterparts.

Apple has retained the same 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR OLED screens as the iPhone 12 Pro, though for 2021 Apple has introduced ProMotion support. The variable screen refresh rate enables for smoother animations at up to 120Hz, though it also enables an always-on display mode.

The resolutions of the screens are 2,532 by 1,170 for the Pro, 2,778 by 1,284 for the Pro Max, the same as seen in the iPhone 12 Pro range. The pixel densities are the same at 460ppi and 458ppi respectively, as well as the 2 million to 1 contrast ratio, True Tone support, Wide color (P3), and Haptic Touch.

The new screens are slightly brighter than last year, at 1,000 nits fo maximum typical brightness, and 1,200 nits for HDR content.

Inside the iPhone 13 Pro pair is the A15 Bionic processor, which Apple claims is 50% faster than the "nearest competition" Using a 6-core CPU and a 5-core GPU, and the 16-core Neural Engine that's even faster than the previous version.

Around the back, the traditional triple-camera setup with bigger lenses than in previous versions. This year, the 12-megapixel sensors are larger, enabling more light to be captured for improved low-light shots.

The Telephoto lens now has a 77mm focal length and a 3x optical zoom, while the Wide has an f/1.5 aperture and up to 2.2x improvement in low-light photography. The all-new Ultra Wide camera has an f/1.8 aperture, offers a 92% improvement in low-light shots, as well as a six-element lens and autofocus.

Both the Telephoto and Wide cameras use dual optical image stabilisation, with the wide also having Sensor Shift optical image stabilisation.

With a 3x optical zoom in and 2x optical zoom out, there's a 6x optical zoom range, as well as digital zoom of up to 15x.

LiDAR makes an appearance again this year, supporting the cameras in various ways, such as with Night Mode portraits.

The new Ultra Wide camera in the iPhone 13 Pro has an upgraded lens system that can allow users to take macro photographs, with subjects able to be as little as two centimeters away from the lens.

The new Cinematic mode for video allows filmmakers to take shots that automatically racks focus to subjects in view, which can also be adjusted after the shot has been completed.

Also in video is ProRes support for 4K video at 30fps, making iPhone more suitable for professional filmography.

Apple is offering the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max in a selection of four finishes: Graphite, Gold, Silver, and an all-new Sierra Blue. This year, Apple introduces a 1TB storage option to the Pro lineup, accompanying the 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB models.

The iPhone 13 Pro will start from $999 for the lowest-capacity model, while the iPhone 13 Pro Max starts from $1,099. Pre-orders commence at 5 a.m. PDT on Sept. 17, with availability starting Sept. 24.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    Camera improvements seem great
    edited September 2021 caladanianJFC_PAwelshdogericthehalfbeellama
  • Reply 2 of 76
    A segment with filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow...now why is that name familiar 😎
    dotcomcto
  • Reply 3 of 76
    Is the same 3x camera available on both Pro models?
  • Reply 4 of 76
    Yawn! I’ll keep my 12 pro max!
    BrandonBaghdadydavgregchemengin1lkruppllama
  • Reply 5 of 76
    This is actually the first Apple Live Event I just about fell asleep on! No need for an event for these minuscule upgrades really. 
    chemengin1amarkapllama
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Ginormous camera bump
  • Reply 7 of 76
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    I agree with you it's not that big a day. But I think your fanaticism is showing.
    scstrrfboxcatcherzoetmbStrangeDaysbageljoeyroundaboutnowGraeme000amarkapdoozydozengeorgie01
  • Reply 8 of 76
    Macro shots are awesome!

As is said: “your best camera is the one you’ve got with you”, and often that’s my iPhone. 
    edited September 2021 tmayGraeme000welshdogbyronl
  • Reply 9 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    KBuffett said:
    For video workflow, the iPhone 13 Pro is a notable and substantial upgrade from the iPhone 12, though I would have liked sensor shift added to the 3X tele lens.
    edited September 2021 scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 76
    Most disappointing and underwhelming iPhone announcement in the history of Apple, yet the delusional Apple fanboys here will say that it was the most advanced and mindblowing announcement ever.
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    scstrrfbyronlllamajahblade
  • Reply 11 of 76
    I would upgrade to 13 ProMax because of camera and 1TB storage for ProRes. I shoot video and does video compositing. Also both 12 and 13 can convert 3D real life object to 3D model for 3D animation which Apple never mentioned it in their presentation. And I do 3D animation as well. iPhone is becoming the electronic Swiss knife that does everything.
    tmayscstrrfJFC_PAmacpluspluswelshdogbyronl
  • Reply 12 of 76
    A segment with filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow...now why is that name familiar 😎
    She is the Academy award winner director of Hurt Locker as well as the ex-wife of James Cameron the director of Titanic and Avatar. 
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 76
    I would upgrade to 13 ProMax because of camera and 1TB storage for ProRes. I shoot video and does video compositing. Also both 12 and 13 can convert 3D real life object to 3D model for 3D animation which Apple never mentioned it in their presentation. And I do 3D animation as well. iPhone is becoming the electronic Swiss knife that does everything.
    What applications are you using for conversion to a 3D model? I'm interested from the standpoint of 3D printed output (Formlabs 3). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 76
     Pre-orders commence at 9 p.m. PDT on September 16, with availability starting September 14. ”

Typo?

or has FedEx finally deployed their long rumored Wormhole delivery? 
    edited September 2021 muthuk_vanalingamzoetmbbyronlllamawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 76
    KBuffett said:
    Not enough for me to upgrade from the 12 pro max 
    llama
  • Reply 16 of 76
    You’re correct! I’ll keep my 12 pro max. I guess if you are upgrading from a 4g to 5G phone it’s worth it.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    You got the first part correct, but I think you got your last part incorrect. While there are few hard core fans of Apple in this forum, you would also see valid criticism of Apple as well when Apple doesn't get it right.
    The majority of this thread, is by definition, criticism of Apple from users of current iPhones.

For those of us not on the latest iPhones, as myself, I can easily ignore those comments as initial reactions, many of which will be walked back over time. 
    StrangeDaysasdasdroundaboutnowGraeme000byronljahbladewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 18 of 76
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    JFC_PA said:
    Macro shots are awesome!

As is said: “your best camera is the one you’ve got with you”, and often that’s my iPhone. 
    Next time break out a Leica - then the iPhone will never be the best phone.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    tmay said:
    What applications are you using for conversion to a 3D model? I'm interested from the standpoint of 3D printed output (Formlabs 3). 
    To name a couple, Polycam and 3D Scanner App. LiDAR is the technology behind this on iPhone. If you search by LiDAR, you will see more options.
    edited September 2021 fastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 76
    JFC_PA said:
    “ Pre-orders commence at 9 p.m. PDT on September 16, with availability starting September 14. ”

Typo?

or has FedEx finally deployed their long rumored Wormhole delivery? 
    Availability should say Sept 24. 
    applguybyronl